The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 10:02 pm
@snood,
Thanks!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 10:04 pm
I am watching another documentary, this one on Winston Churchill, called Walking with Destiny. It, too, is on netflix. I always thought the song The Last Time I Saw Paris was the song of a parted lover or of a student looking back to his time abroad. Jerome Kern and Richard Rogers wrote it when Paris fell. So much information in this one film.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 10:05 pm
BTW, I liked There Will Be Blood. The lead character was cut from the same cloth as Francis Underwood.
snood

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:22 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

BTW, I liked There Will Be Blood.

Somebody had to, I guess. Smile
glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 01:01 pm
@snood,
A few years ago I mentioned I liked the movie "Gangs of New York", another poster (I don't remember who) said I should be forced to watch it again. Grant you, it portrayed a dismal period in American History, but it was around that time period when my mother's family arrived in the US. So maybe I was interested in the Irish portion of the movie. I haven't seen it since the first time in the theater, I should watch it again.
panzade

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 02:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Gangs-Horrible people doing loathsome things in a terrible epoch.
I just didn't have any feelings invested.
DD Lewis was good though.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 02:16 pm
@panzade,
Yeah, it must have a terrible time to be alive, but some aspects were familiar like the gangs names. I remember my grandparents referring to bad behavior as Pug Ugly, but I didn't know there actually was a gang by that name.
panzade

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 04:54 pm
@glitterbag,
Funny, cause the gang's name was Plug Uglies.
Apparently Scorcese inserted them in New York for convenience. I think they were from Baltimore.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:01 pm
@panzade,
There's a BBC Drama called Peaky Blinders which deals with Birmingham gangs.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:18 pm
@panzade,
You're correct, thats the right spelling. They were in New York and Baltimore, possibly in Bosten as well. Baltimore had a very active port that attracted immigrants from Europe. I think everybody came thru Ellis Island, but if they had special skills they traveled to areas that needed those skills, Baltimore had lots of job opportunities back then. I know there was a large contingent of Irish in Baltimore, my great great grandmother had 13 children, but only 9 livd to be adults. All 13 births occurred before 1895, so old phrases, and puzzling comments were passed along down the line. You always knew what they were talking about, but literally they didn't seem to jive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 07:34 pm
I just bought and watched this monstrosity tonight:
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 07:16 pm
Last night on Netflix we watched “The Barber” starring Scott Glenn, I actually enjoyed this movie, very suspenseful with lots of twists and turns.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 07:39 pm
I just saw "Mulholland Drive" on a disc from Netflix. It was one of the weirdest films that I have ever seen. I ordered it because it received an excellent review on IMDB, and had been nominated for numerous awards.

A long movie, lasting over 2 1/2 hours, it was so convoluted that I could not make much sense of it. Saying that, I found that I was strangely drawn into the film.

After the movie was over, I did some checking on MRQE and Rotten Tomatoes. Apparently, there were many people who thought very highly of this film.

Have any of you seen Mulholland Drive? If so, I would be interested in your reaction to it.
panzade

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:13 am
@Phoenix32890,
Yes, I've seen it 3 times. The last time I used these reviews to try and understand the film
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2002/jan/17/artsfeatures.davidlynch

It IS a strange and hypnotic film and it DOES tend to draw us in even though none of the narratives are tied up in a bow at the end like most Hollywood films.

Like Twin Peaks for TV and the movie Blue Velvet, Lynch's style is mesmerizing.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 11:40 am
@panzade,
Thanks, Panzade. Apparently, a viewer needs to just "go with the flow", and not attempt to figure anything out. I plan to watch it again, in a few months, and see how I react to it!
0 Replies

DYSLEXIC

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 12:00 pm
@Amigo,
how old are you , 98
0 Replies

DYSLEXIC

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 12:01 pm
@Roberta,
MAN ON FIRE best film ever made
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 11:06 pm
Nuremberg: Nazis on Trial is a great documentary from the BBC. A critic for the Times of London felt the documentary -- which is made up of archival footage, commentary by academics and participants, as well as live action dramatizations -- suffered from the dramatizations. I think Robert Pugh and Ben Cross and, mostly, Nathaniel Parker as Albert Speer, were terrific. The production values are outstanding.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2015 12:50 pm
I have been watching plenty of pretty awful movies lately (the Asylum anyone?), but one positive exception was "Spring" a 2014 romance with a twist. There was some criticisam warranted, but on the whole it was a love-affirming tale. The great backdrop was a definte boon.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:06 pm
Just finished watching a terrific documentary, "This Ain't No Mouse Music," about Chris Strachwitz, the founder of Arhoolie Records. What is so wonderful is hearing all the great Arhoolie artists.