The Last Movie You Saw On DVD or VHS or TV.

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 07:33 am
Wait a second?! Where did you get that misinformation?!
Quote:
Well apparently Ant-Man sucks because it takes itself too seriously and tries to be an Avengers superhero blockbuster instead of a quirky funny movie. I was considering seeing it but now… meh.

Everything about this statement is utterly wrong.

It's pretty darn funny. Michael Peña is pitch perfect in his comic relief role. Paul Rudd is insanely likable and he's pretty much a walking hug machine in this one as well. He plays a loving father who only wants to do good for his daughter. Talk about antigritty superhero blockbuster stuff.

The one giant ant and giant Thomas the Tank engine (not a spoiler) both steal the movie.

Quote:
With a $130 million budget, “Ant-Man” cost significantly less to produce than Marvel’s other movies — roughly half of the $250 million budget “Age of Ultron.”

Quote:
3. Ant-Man scored for its lesser-known stars

http://www.thewrap.com/5-reasons-why-marvel-wont-sweat-ant-mans-soft-58-million-opening-weekend/
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 08:10 am
@jcboy,
My 30 year old son liked Ant Man.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 08:13 am
I have been watching a terrific documentary series on Netflix: 14 - Diaries of the Great WAr. It is a British series, based on real diaries from people across Europe, featuring both voice over and actors portraying the diarists in reconstructed settings and in their original languages. Fabulous.
panzade

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 05:40 pm
@plainoldme,
Sounds good.
Speaking of which I watched Imitation Game about Alan Turing.
It was enthralling. Gotta watch it again tonight.

The Wrecking Crew, a doc about the session musicians that played on all the top hits during the 60's and 70's , is finally finished and on cable.

Not to be missed if you were wondering who played on the Beach Boys, Monkees and Righteous Bros. records.
dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:12 am
@panzade,
That Turing film broke my heart.
jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 07:50 pm
WWII From Space is amazing. It's a History Channel special that uses CGI and satellite views to tell the history of the entire war from a global perspective. It's on Netflix. I also recently watched The Desert Fox: The Story of Rommel. Apparently I'm on a WWII binge.

I also watched The Warriors and Sharknado 3 so there's that... Cool
glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 11:30 pm
@jcboy,
I found "The Last Picture Show"made in 1972. I remember reading the book, but I was too young to appreciate the slice of life being presented. Even today the film was incredibly depressing albeit authentic. It's still a good film, Im just glad I didn't watch it in 1972.
snood

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 05:30 am
Just watched Exodus - God's and Kings. It was entertaining enough. I'm not going to get into the whole thing about inauthentic ethnicity representation in films, but I'll say this: It was a little weird hearing all the bland Midwestern accents spoken by supposed Hebrews and Egyptians.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:05 am
When I hate a movie, I will rip it apart with snarky comments. When I like a movie, I just recommend you watch it. I recommend you watch Hot Fuzz, if you haven't seen it yet. Cool

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:27 am
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2170335001/
I was surprised to like this little movie with Jennifer Aniston.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:28 am
@jcboy,
If you like Hot Fuzz you should enjoy the series that made Simon Pegg (and Nick Frost) famous. (ish)

This is episode 1. I think they're all available on Youtube.

panzade

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:13 am
@Lash,
She was wonderful in 2002's The Good Girl with Jake Gyllenhaal, a small movie(8 million budget) with some powerful acting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:27 am
@panzade,
I think everyone who has ever listened to any music should watch The Wrecking Crew.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:45 pm
@izzythepush,
I really enjoyed Simon Pegg in Hector and the Search for Happiness
https://youtu.be/DELCgkntuvw
panzade

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Im just glad I didn't watch it in 1972.

I did
It left me blue.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 02:43 pm
@Lash,
This is good as well.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 02:50 pm
@izzythepush,
That was from Big Train a BBC sketch show that only lasted one season which is a shame. Simon Pegg is in this evil hypnotist sketch.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:07 pm
My daughter turned me on to "Extras" starring that nutty guy Ricky Gervais. I get more than a few good laughs every episode.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 06:45 pm
@panzade,
When I heard the Imitation Game tinkered a little with Turing's actual life history, I didn't want to see the movie but I changed my mind and did. Great performances by Cumberbatch and Knightley.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 07:15 pm
@izzythepush,
I'll check that one out Izzy Razz
0 Replies