It's Done....He's Hanged

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:46 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
au1929 wrote:
quote="Walter Hinteler"]At least Bush says (according to recent media reports) that Saddam Hussein's execution is an important milestone on the course to becoming a democracy.

Although I am in favor of capital punishment and if anyone deserved it Saddam did. I realize that it is nothing more than revenge and retribution.
I would point out that at this point in time it is anti-climatic and certainly not as Bush says an important milestone.
But than who listens to the ramblings of our esteemed president Bush.

Look around there's one example VERY close by Laughing[/quote]
Frankly, I would be very interested if you would actually consider the content of my most recent post and make a serious comment about it. To act as though the likely proliferation of doomsday weapons is either a joke or some kind of delusion of the Right is unrealistic. If they proliferate to everyone who wants them, they will certainly eventually be used.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
Flashback
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:57 am
wake me when it is Bush's turn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:18 am
"wake me when it is Bush's turn". haha. That would be a true awakening and a real deterrent to future mass murderers.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:44 am
re . FLASHBACK .
it's not nice to post up facts - spoils things for those who know better .
hbg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:46 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Also, as the president stated numerous times, the invasion was primarily motivated by a sense that if Hussein had merely taken his former WMD development programs further underground, it might soon spell a catastrophe for the world.

That's a mighty if, Brandon. We now have 3,000 dead American soldiers and more than 22,000 wounded. Soldiers who have served multiple tours in Afghanistan and been discharged from the military are now being recalled for additional tours to Iraq. All on an if and what that if might soon spell?

Brandon9000 wrote:
It will certainly happen many more times in the future that an odious dictator, with or without a friendly relationship to terrorists, is trying to develop WMD, but that information about it is sketchy. Saddam Hussein was not a unique case, but the tip of the forthcoming iceberg. We'd better decide how we plan to handle it, because it's going to keep happening.

Well, we certainly got it wrong this time. Just for grins, let's try something else next time. This is about American lives being lost over sketchy info on what odious folks are doing. How 'bout getting up close and personal, with or without nose plugs?

Brandon9000 wrote:
If they proliferate to everyone who wants them, they will certainly eventually be used.

Then maybe we should pay a little more attention to not pissing off everyone who wants them to the point where they'd rather see us as part of mushroom cloud fallout. What do you suggest Brandon? Or do you think we've actually accomplished something positive in our efforts to thwart the potential for boogie-men everywhere from getting their hands on WMD?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:53 am
I suspect that the prestige and power of the US will never recover from this.

Whoever we are fighting there (and I suspect that is unknown in the halls of power, both in the Dept of State and the Pentagon) is probably smart enough to know that assisinating bush will only make him into a hero . . . unless their goal is to totally humiliate us. So, they will wait until the Democrats take over the WH, which they will no matter who runs, and then eliminate that person. Real punishment.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:55 am
Gerald Ford escaped the gallows. But history records his very strong complicity in the slaughter of 1/3 the population of East Timor. Lyndon Johnson did not hang but the blood of millions is on his hands in history. Likewise Nixon. Carter, Reagan, Poppy Bush, Wolfie, Rummy, Cheney all have the same blood on their hands as their asset and pawn Saddam. When he committed his crimes against humanity he was an American puppet. The pot is not greater than the potter.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:03 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I
Quote:
f they proliferate to everyone who wants them, they will certainly eventually be used.

There is no "IF" it's when. Whether they will be a deterrent to war or used to turn the planet into a cinder and send those left back to the stone age only time will tell. In any event with all it's bluster and saber rattling the worlds fate and future cannot be controlled by the US. It is a world problem and can only be solved, if solvable, by the combined will of all the nations of this planet. If not there will be a second big bang only this time it will not be for the creation of this planet but rather it's demise
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:03 am
Paraphrasing LAdy MacBeth with a cartoon of Uncle Sam, "Who would have thought that the old man had so much blood in him?"

"None have called our power to account."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:30 am
Saddam had to die, he knew too much. Of course, like everything else in Iraq, the Americans have botched the manner of getting rid of him.

Oh well there's always Ahmadinejad to hang in 2007.

And if that doesnt work hang Saddam's daughters.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:20 pm
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061230/NEWS99/612300387

Dearborn crowd celebrates for justice
Former Iraqis say ousted dictator deserved execution

December 30, 2006

Dancing to the beat of Arabic drums, throwing candy in the air and joyously waving Iraqi flags, hundreds of Iraqi Americans spilled onto the street outside a Dearborn mosque Friday to cheer the death of Saddam Hussein.

"No more Saddam! No more Saddam!" the crowd near the Karbalaa Islamic Education Center at Warren near Greenfield cheered, as people danced Iraqi jigs and snapped photos of the celebration with cell phones.

"I can't believe it," said 20-year-old Waleed Al-Biraihy. "I think I'm dreaming."

Like many in the crowd, Al-Biraihy of Dearborn lost relatives to the Iraqi dictator's regime -- in his case, two uncles.

"We're so happy," said Muhanad Hassan, 24, of Dearborn, who said the Hussein regime killed his uncle in 1991. "It's revenge for the death of all the innocent Iraqis."

In Dearborn, the heart of metro Detroit's large Arab-American community, Iraqis had been coming together all evening Friday in anticipation of Hussein's death. Across the community, there are hundreds of Iraqi Americans -- Muslim and Christian -- who tell of abuse, torture and murder of loved ones by his government. Ali Al-Nassiri, 50, of Dearborn had two of his brothers killed by Hussein's regime, one in 1980, the other in 1991. Family members were never able to get back their dead bodies.

Nabil Roumayah, head of the of Southfield-based Iraqi Democratic Union, has been working for decades against Saddam Hussein.

"There is no celebration in death and the taking a human life is not a pleasant thing, but that guy was not really human," Roumayah said. "He was a butcher, a dictator, an animal."

Dearborn and surrounding communities are home to a sizable number of Shi'ite Muslims who were brutally repressed by Hussein. After Hussein's government crushed a 1991 uprising by Shi'ite Muslims in Iraq, many of them came to Michigan. There also are victims in metro Detroit's Iraqi Christian, or Chaldean, communities.

"Justice was served," said Jacoub Mansour, an Iraqi-born West Bloomfield physician. "Saddam deserved it for ruling Iraq with an iron fist and killing so many people."

For Ralph Ayar, 55, of West Bloomfield, the execution brought back memories of the hanging of his own father in 1963. In that year, Ayar's father, Hanna Ayar, was killed in the town square of Tel Keif, Iraq, by members of Hussein's Baath Party.

"I remember it as if it happened now," Ayar said. "Since he was captured, this man did not deserve to live."

Ayar said he hopes that Hussein's death will bring new hope for a country racked by violence.

"In the long run, it will help," Ayar said. "Things will settle down."

Still, said Roumayah, Hussein won't be easily forgotten, "because of the terrible price the people paid under his rule."

"He will be cursed for the rest of eternity," he said.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:32 pm
Not everyone's happy about hiis death.

Quote:
Arab haj pilgrims outraged at Saddam execution
Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:02 PM GMT

By Souhail Karam

MECCA, Saudi Arabia (Reuters) - Arab pilgrims in Mecca expressed outrage on Saturday that Iraqi authorities had chosen to execute former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein on a major religious holiday, saying it was an insult to Muslims.

Sunni Arabs at the haj were shocked at Saddam's hanging which followed his conviction for crimes against humanity against Iraqi Shi'ites.

"His execution on the day of Eid ... is an insult to all Muslims," said Jordanian pilgrim Nidal Mohammad Salah. "What happened is not good because as a head of state, he should not be executed."

The Eid al-Adha, or Feast of the Sacrifice, marks biblical patriarch Abraham's willingness to kill his son for God. Muslim countries often pardon criminals to mark the feast, and prisoners are rarely executed at that time.

The death could harden hatred for Shi'ite Muslims in Saudi Arabia, a bastion of Sunni Islam whose Islamic orthodoxy -- known as Wahhabism -- regards Shi'ites as virtual heretics.

"This timing was chosen to turn our joy during Eid to sadness. I don't say this for grief over Saddam ... but we must ready ourselves for a new enemy from the East," a user on an Islamist Web site said, referring to Shi'ites in Iran.

Saddam, a Sunni, was admired by many Arabs for standing up to the United States. Haj authorities fear his death could stoke tensions between Sunni and Shi'ite pilgrims.

Eid falls during the 5-day haj, when more than 2 million Muslims from around the world follow ancient rites at the Islamic Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

"I don't want to believe it. Saddam cannot die. Is this the good news we get on our Eid?" said Saudi Nawaf al-Harbi.

But many Shi'ites regard Saddam's death as a gift from God.

"Congratulations, this is like two Eids! I hope God will not have mercy on him," Iraqi Nadir Abdullah said amid a group of jubilant pilgrims.

PREOCCUPIED

Security was already heightened for this haj season because of sectarian strife between Sunnis and Shi'ites in Iraq and elsewhere in the region.

Haj pilgrims dress in simple white garments that can disguise differences of sect and nationality. Many come from outside the Middle East and on Saturday most were preoccupied with the next stage of the rites, the symbolic stoning of the devil at the Jamarat Bridge.

But many felt Saddam's execution would only worsen sectarian violence in Iraq.

"This is unbelievable. Things will not improve in Iraq now that Saddam is dead," said a Syrian pilgrim, Abu Mostafa. "There will be more violence and more Arab anger towards the West."

For Iraqi Kurds like Aladdin Suleiman Mohammad, the execution was a "fair decision" regardless of timing, though it dashed hopes of justice for crimes against Kurds.

Saddam's second trial on charges of war crimes against Iraqi Kurds in what is known as the "Anfal" or "Spoils of War" campaign, had been due to resume next month.

But many Arabs said if anyone should be put on trial it was the Shi'ite-led Iraqi government that backed the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003, which overthrew Saddam.

"They are American collaborators, those in Iraq. They should be executed, not Saddam Hussein." said Mohammad Mousa, on haj from Lebanon. "Saddam Hussein is the most honourable of all of them. He is the most honourable Arab. They will go to hell, he will go to heaven."

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-12-30T150228Z_01_L30847606_RTRUKOC_0_UK-IRAQ-SADDAM-HAJ.xml&WTmodLoc=World-C1-Headline-2
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:34 pm
Quote:
Libya declares national mourning for Saddam
From correspondents in Tripoli
December 30, 2006

LIBYA declared three days of national mourning today after the execution of Iraqi ex-president Saddam Hussein who had been a "prisoner of war," official media said.
Saddam was executed in Baghdad, four days after an Iraqi court upheld the death sentence handed down after he was convicted for the 1982 massacre in the Iraqi city of Dujail.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20992222-23109,00.html
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:39 pm
Secret cell phone video of Saddams hanging. Not very good quality but....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7532034279766935521
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:56 pm
..... Saddam's execution, which came just as one of Islam's most important festivals was beginning, rankled in the Middle East and analysts warned public opinion in the Arab world could turn even further against the United States.

Grainy footage of a grey-bearded and calm-looking Saddam being prepared for the gallows was aired on Iraqi state television and re-broadcast across the Arab world as Muslims began celebrating Eid al-Adha.

Even the West's leading Middle East allies, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, publicly spoke out against the choice of the first day of the Muslim feast of sacrifice to put Saddam to death.

"Generally in the region, people's emotions are already anti-US, and these images will add to that feeling,'' warned Emad Gad, a researcher with the Cairo-based Ahram Centre for Strategic Studies.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/saddam-laid-to-rest/2006/12/31/1167499996295.html
0 Replies

Vanitty

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:51 pm
I've watched every news video I could find on the hanging, including the cell phone clip.

There is no direct proof of Saddam's death. The cell phone video only shows a rope around his neck from the shoulders up. Where is the real footage?

I'm looking for opinions.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:10 am
Vanitty wrote:
I've watched every news video I could find on the hanging, including the cell phone clip.

There is no direct proof of Saddam's death. The cell phone video only shows a rope around his neck from the shoulders up. Where is the real footage?

You actually sought out video footage of this awful, barbaric event? You went looking for it?

I find that even a photograph of this kind of thing upsets me.

I suppose it takes all sorts..........
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:25 am
Vanitty wrote:

You suspect a conspiracy? :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2006 12:28 am
msolga wrote:
Vanitty wrote:

You suspect a conspiracy? :wink:

Don't start them, msolga. Before we know it, there'll be "Saddam, was he really hanged?" threads all over the place.
0 Replies