Do We Have Free Will?

snood

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
no, i'd say whore-moans is responsible . . . more chemistry than physics . . .

Damn, Setanta - that's just so sad to me...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:10 pm
I got no problem with it Boss . . . cotton candy is still a pure-dee-light when as a child you discover that they simply poured sugar into a hot air "spinner" . . . i get one hell of a kick out the hormones, and as they only refer to my Lovey (i'm a boringly loyal type of person), i consider my experience no less valuable than those who imbue their emotions with a mystical provenance . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
I got no problem with it Boss . . . cotton candy is still a pure-dee-light when as a child you discover that they simply poured sugar into a hot air "spinner" . . . i get one hell of a kick out the hormones, and as they only refer to my Lovey (i'm a boringly loyal type of person), i consider my experience no less valuable than those who imbue their emotions with a mystical provenance . . .

more power to ya - just don't be too heavy handed with what you think gets "imbued", and I'll meet ya in the middle...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:40 pm
sounds like a "date"; eh Setanta?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 11:26 pm
Couple of comments:

On jlN's inability to imagine the nature of the universe beyond; try this one...

Take an elemental particle (go for the smallest, or a quark, or something like that); add a few orbiting disturbances in the ether, and before you know it your dealing with atom like things, pretty damn small still, but a giant to a quark.
Now lets up the ante, put a whole bunch in a small (very small) room together; presto a molecule, cool.
Now lets make chemistry - putting a whole bunch of different kinds of molecules together, and before you know it you have a solid, or a liquid, or "BANG" suddenly you have a gas!
O.K., O.K., now this is getting a little boring, lets cut to the chase...
Lets look at the solar system; a central nucleus, with a bunch of thingees circling around it. Now wait a minute, weren't we already there?
Oh no, that was an atom; much smaller.
But then, now we are cycling, same structures different sizes.
Next stop "milky way galaxy"; didn't that look like a molecule, a minute ago? And when we join all the various galaxies together......
What if this chamber of mirrors is infinite, in both extent, and iteration of size; and both ways!
Perhaps the universe (the whole thing) is a continuum of repetitions of similar structures in vastly changing scales.........

Second point; The BoGoWo explanation of the apparent shortage of dark matter:

My "big bang" or "point of beingness" I describe as the sudden, eruption of absolute nothing (due to its reaching a critical state of nothingness) into "everything".
A little explanation here; my temporal relationship of this occurrence is, I think, in logical continuity with the event; that is, it begins to become everything, and continues along that path, but does not "immediately" become everything; this will take a very long time, literally the "lifetime" of the known universe (the one we are observing, and theorizing about, be it all or part of the total universe). This explains the problem of the missing "dark matter" as it, and much of the visible matter, has not yet "happened", it is continually "occuring" from the residual "nothing" that still exists. I look at this as a diffused "white hole" distribution throughout the universe, while the black holes that we encounter are isolated events heralding the beginnings of the inevitable collapse of the "everything" back to "nothing".

And that, thanks jlN, is my synecdoche of the universe.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 11:58 am
Do I have to free Will ???
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarrassed Cool Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 02:22 pm
Guys, unzip or unbutton your fly, and walk aroun' lettin' it all hang out . . .

FREE WILLY ! ! !
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 06:49 pm
Quote:
Perhaps the universe (the whole thing) is a continuum of repetitions of similar structures in vastly changing scales

Modern science is precisely attempting to understand how this works. The grand unified theory would unite microscopic quantum physics with macroscopic gravitational physics. The cosmos indeed functions like a fractal that can generate complexity from the small to the big, based on one simple algorithm. The question is: which one? Free will is potentially its most elaborate result. The power of our mind hasn't been harvested yet.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:43 pm
I still think, inspite of a decidedly juvenile series of outbursts from the fringes (you are using your minds for the wrong porpoise)(and another thing, all the stores that advertise "Adult XXX" movies, books, etc. should be instructed to change the signage to the more accurate "Juvenile XXX" movies, etc.), that free will(Y) is simply the phenomenology of thought in general, and being "persuaded" to act otherwise is merely a sign that capacities vary.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:56 pm
How very pompous of you BGW
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 04:39 am
Not at all, on the contrary. This is a philosophy thread, Setanta, not a psychiatric garbage can, you know.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 05:45 am
And how very pompous of you Wolf.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 06:41 am
I've always had a very "pomp" ass! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 07:34 am
TMI, Boss, LOL
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:43 am
I guess the one blindly casting arguments by others as pompous is really pompous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
Whatever floats your boat, Boss, we want you to be happy . . .
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 09:54 am
Do we have free will ? No all wills cost some money.
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 01:13 pm
Not always, but it can lead you to a free trip to jail! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 01:15 pm
Dux, Nowadays, some jail time is not "free." c.i.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:25 am
"free" lunch anyone?
0 Replies