The Iranian Ebrown

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:39 am
I have been thinking about a hypothetical situation-- an Ebrown who was born and raised and lived in Iran.

The idea is that the Iranian Ebrown would have the same personality as the American Ebrown (that's me if you haven't kept up so far). But he would be completely Iranian (i.e. no connection to the US except what he learned).

For example, the Iranian Ebrown loves his country (Iran), but opposes the government.

The Iranian Ebrown was raised in the majority religion (Islam) but no longer practices. He is deeply troubled at the extent religious leaders play such a role dictating social norms and political policies.

The Iranian Ebrown wants respect and tolerance for minority religions in his country. He is also very upset that certain religions are vilified and used as targets for political purposes.

The Iranian Ebrown favors diplomacy over military action. He winces every time the countries international rival has to be spoken about as a great evil, and he thinks there must be a way to avoid conflict that will kill thousands.

The Iranian Ebrown wants Iran to play fair as part of the International community. He opposes the fact his goverenment uses the rhetoric of war to flout international opinion. Supporters of his government say that they shouldn't care what the international community thinks, but Iranian Ebrown knows that this is both wrong... and will be be costly for his country in the future.

So... that's a start. If you want to play it's simple. Just take your real personaity, and imagine what your beliefs would be if you happened to be born in Iran-- (i.e. if you are in the majority religion here, you would be in the majority religion there).

Funny thing is that I think I would really like the Iranian Ebrown... I certainly wish people like him would have more of a voice in the way the country is run.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,958 • Replies: 49
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:46 am
The Iranian ebrown has most likely perished in prison after many hours of being tortured for not following the Koran and Sharia.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:26 am
The Iranian Dorothy Parker would certainly not have let her eyebrows get into the state they are at the moment.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:36 am
McGentrix wrote:
The Iranian ebrown has most likely perished in prison after many hours of being tortured for not following the Koran and Sharia.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Exclamation
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:44 am
McGentrix wrote:

Would the Iranian McGentrix be happy about this?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:50 am
Why the focus on Iran to the exclusion of all else?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:51 am
ebrown_p wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Would the Iranian McGentrix be happy about this?

Pft. He'd have never made it through college.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 11:53 am
The Iranian FreeDuck would be trying desperately to find some middle ground between the religious extremist mullahs and the pro-western forces. I imagine she would be thinking, out loud on her banned blog, that there has to be another choice between religious extremism and isolation and the seemingly cold and shallow western culture of materialism. She would be arguing, fruitlessly, for a third force to rise up and break the deadlock, and for compromise and dialogue.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:

I have to disagree with that, i believe the iranian ebrown would follow the koran & either jail or kill anybody that disagreed with the koran, now if the iranian ebrown wanted to fling open the doors to irans treasure & resourses, well then, who knows what the country might to to the iranian ebrown.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:30 pm
You seem to be unclear on the concept, Madam.

An Iranian person who would "follow the koran & either jail or kill anybody that disagreed with the koran" would correspond to an American person who would "follow the Bible & either jail or kill anybody that disagreed with the Bible".

I imagine there are Americans like this... but I assure you that doesn't describe me at all.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:32 pm
FreeDuck,

I like your response (as usual).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:34 pm
I'm glad. It's a fun exercise.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:36 pm
Actually, I have big difficultoes to imagine this .... as a reality.

More than forty years back, I did the same already - but as a North Irish Walter.

And like I didn't know how I would react if I grew up as a Catholic in Northern Ireland and what I would do if my family lived there for centuries - I find it even more impossible to think about how I would act and react in a totally different culture.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:38 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
You seem to be unclear on the concept, Madam.

An Iranian person who would "follow the koran & either jail or kill anybody that disagreed with the koran" would correspond to an American person who would "follow the Bible & either jail or kill anybody that disagreed with the Bible".

I imagine there are Americans like this... but I assure you that doesn't describe me at all.

I am only going on what an Iranian born & raised Muslim told me brown, maybe you know more than he does.
I'm sure there are so called Christians that would act as a muslim does, I don't know any of them, do you?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:44 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

I am only going on what an Iranian born & raised Muslim told me brown, maybe you know more than he does.
I'm sure there are so called Christians that would act as a muslim does, I don't know any of them, do you?

There are liberal Iranians and there are conservative Iranians... just as there are liberal Americans and conservative Iranians. As FreeDuck points out there are certainly moderate Iranians as well...

Liberal Americans oppose the use of torture, want America to follow the standards of the international community, want American society to respect other religions, want civil rights for minorites and wish the American government would have a dialog with its "enemies" instead of opting for war as the first option.

Likewise Liberal Iranians oppose the use of torture, want Iran to follow the standards of the international community, want Iranian society to respect other religions, want civil rights for minorites and wish the Iranian government would have a dialog with its "enemies" instead of opting for war as the first option.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 01:46 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

There are liberal Iranians and there are conservative Iranians... just as there are liberal Americans and conservative Iranians. As FreeDuck points out there are certainly moderate Iranians as well...

Liberal Americans oppose the use of torture, want America to follow the standards of the international community, want American society to respect other religions, want civil rights for minorites and wish the American government would have a dialog with its "enemies" instead of opting for war as the first option.

Likewise Liberal Iranians oppose the use of torture, want Iran to follow the standards of the international community, want Iranian society to respect other religions, want civil rights for minorites and wish the Iranian government would have a dialog with its "enemies" instead of opting for war as the first option.

& you know this....how?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 04:20 pm
Go to the Free Republic web site (a souce I assume you will accept) and search for Iranian Student Democracy movement. There are quite a few articles about Iranians fighting for human rights (a term that is quite selectively used in the Free Republic, but applicable here).

By the way, Madam... you didn't answer the question posed by this thread.

What would the Iranian LoneStarMadam be like?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:00 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Go to the Free Republic web site (a souce I assume you will accept) and search for Iranian Student Democracy movement. There are quite a few articles about Iranians fighting for human rights (a term that is quite selectively used in the Free Republic, but applicable here).

By the way, Madam... you didn't answer the question posed by this thread.

What would the Iranian LoneStarMadam be like?

I can't imagine an Iranian LoneStarMadam. I would think she'd have a very short life.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:14 pm
I think of the American LoneStarMadam as:

- Deeply religious in the Majority religion of her country with a firm conviction that this religion should play a prominant role in her society.
- Supportive of traditional moral values (and rejecting any attempts to change them).
- Fully supportive of the government, especially in its attempts to fight the enemies of her country.
- A supporter and defender of the conservative president in spite of the international condemnation of some of his actions.
- Suspicious of the media that questions the administration.

The Iranian LoneStarMadam would have the exact same traits (except she would have the same feeling for Islam and the Koran that you have for Christianity and the Bible-- and the same feeling for Iran that you have for the USA).

It easy to imagine that there is Iranian LoneStarMadam (i.e. an Iranian woman with these traits). Now why would this get her killed?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 06:02 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I think of the American LoneStarMadam as:

- Deeply religious in the Majority religion of her country with a firm conviction that this religion should play a prominant role in her society.
- Supportive of traditional moral values (and rejecting any attempts to change them).
- Fully supportive of the government, especially in its attempts to fight the enemies of her country.
- A supporter and defender of the conservative president in spite of the international condemnation of some of his actions.
- Suspicious of the media that questions the administration.

The Iranian LoneStarMadam would have the exact same traits (except she would have the same feeling for Islam and the Koran that you have for Christianity and the Bible-- and the same feeling for Iran that you have for the USA).

It easy to imagine that there is Iranian LoneStarMadam (i.e. an Iranian woman with these traits). Now why would this get her killed?

Because there would not be an Iranian LoneStarMadam, not based on me, that is.
I'll take your points 1 by 1.
I am a believer in God/Jesus, I am not deeply religious in that I do not follow the Bible to the T.
I am suppportive of moral values, however, i do not ever say that my views on some tings can't be changed, & as a matter of fact, one or two of my views have changed. I am capable of admitting to have been wrong on some things, or at least the possibility that I was wrong, unlike you.
Fully supportive of the gov't, if you're saying that I am fully supportive of this gov't, that's a lie & you know it is.
A supporter & defender of a conservative president, another lie, i support any president in some things, some things I don't.
Suspicious of the media, yes, ever since i found out what a traitor & liar Cronkite was/is.
0 Replies