Gerald Ford is dead

blueflame1

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:33 am
Gerald Ford was a team player. I'll always remember him for his loyal team work. "Ford-Rankin Document: Commission member Gerald Ford changes description of the president's wounds to support the false "Single Bullet" theory. link
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:40 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Gerald Ford was a team player. I'll always remember him for his loyal team work. "Ford-Rankin Document: Commission member Gerald Ford changes description of the president's wounds to support the false "Single Bullet" theory. link

Your sarcasm is quite evident. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:40 am
I remember the day Nixon announced he was choosing Gerald Ford to replace Spiro Agnew as Vice President. None of us knew who he was, or anything about him.

I remember the day Nixon resigned and we all talked about the man who was elected to Congress by the folks from Michigan and became the President to all of us.

I remember the day he pardoned Richard M Nixon. I was angry, as were many others, but came to think it was the best decision.

I remember voting for him in 1976 because, although I was still angry about the Nixon pardon, I felt he was a better choice than Jimmy Carter.

I remember the stumbling, tripping, bad golf playing man who had a distinguished military career, was a dedicated family man and public servant.

I won't make a trip to Washington to pay my respects, but I think I'll make a trip to Grand Rapids to do so once he is laid to rest.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:01 am
Gerald Ford was a fundamentally decent man. Although not uncommon for his generation, that is a rare attribute in a politician today.

I had the opportunity to make a quick visit to the Ford presidential library in Grand Rapids -- worth visiting for anyone in that neck of the woods.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:55 am
JPB wrote:
I remember the day Nixon announced he was choosing Gerald Ford to replace Spiro Agnew as Vice President. None of us knew who he was, or anything about him.

I remember the day Nixon resigned and we all talked about the man who was elected to Congress by the folks from Michigan and became the President to all of us.

I remember the day he pardoned Richard M Nixon. I was angry, as were many others, but came to think it was the best decision.

I remember voting for him in 1976 because, although I was still angry about the Nixon pardon, I felt he was a better choice than Jimmy Carter.

I remember the stumbling, tripping, bad golf playing man who had a distinguished military career, was a dedicated family man and public servant.

I won't make a trip to Washington to pay my respects, but I think I'll make a trip to Grand Rapids to do so once he is laid to rest.

Oh I am dating myself, I knew who Agnew was, as a high school student, I worked on his campaign. He ran for Governor as a moderate against a conservative Democrat running on a racist plaform, trying to encourage "blockbusting""
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:58 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Gerald Ford was a fundamentally decent man. Although not uncommon for his generation, that is a rare attribute in a politician today.

I had the opportunity to make a quick visit to the Ford presidential library in Grand Rapids -- worth visiting for anyone in that neck of the woods.

Yes, he was a fundamentally decent man and saying that, speaks volumes as to where we are today. How did we ever get to our current state?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:16 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
He was a fine man, not one of our greatest presidents. I think him pardoning Nixon was actually the best thing for the country as much as I would have liked to see THAT SOB go to jail.

Finally I can partly agree with you. The statement by the family said, he loved God, family, and country. I like the order of that, and I think Ford was truly a decent and honorable man. You can't ask much more.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
okie wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
He was a fine man, not one of our greatest presidents. I think him pardoning Nixon was actually the best thing for the country as much as I would have liked to see THAT SOB go to jail.

Finally I can partly agree with you. The statement by the family said, he loved God, family, and country. I like the order of that, and I think Ford was truly a decent and honorable man. You can't ask much more.

Yeah, for sure, he coulda been a contender.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 05:35 pm
I felt safe with Ford at the helm. I thought he was a good president. That's more than I can say about most presidents who served in my lifetime.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 05:57 pm
Anyone remember this?

On 1975-SEP-05,Lynette Fromme unsuccessfully attempted to assassinate U.S. President Gerald R. Ford in Sacramento, CA. It appears that although she managed to get close to Ford, by mistake the chamber of her .45 Colt was empty. She was heard to say, "It didn't go off. Can you believe it? It didn't go off!" She stated she had committed the crime so that Manson would appear as a witness at her trial, and thus have a worldwide platform from which to talk about his apocalyptic vision. She escaped prison in 1987-DEC, apparently to try to reach California and Manson, but was recaptured two days later.
Manson remains imprisoned to this day (2005). More than nine applications for parole have been denied, most notably in 1986 when he appeared before the parole board with a swastika embossed on his forehead. During his stay in prison, Manson has received more mail than any other prisoner in the United States prison system. It is said that he gets over 60,000 pieces of mail a year, much of it fan mail from young people hoping to join The Family.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:04 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ford
His football and Navy pics show quite a looker. In his later years, he always (to me) looked kind.

There was also a later assassination attempt by Sara Jane Moore.

He went to college at the Univ. of Michigan and played on their undefeated football team in 1932 and 1933. He worked as a model some times before WWII. He was a Navy man, and was awarded 2 bronze stars and more. Didja known Donald Rumsfeld was in his cabinet?

He also was able to laugh at himself, and wrote a book, Humor and the Presidency http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061228/NEWS06/612280337/1009/NEWS07
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:45 am
jespah wrote:

A leftist whacko, no doubt.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:55 am
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
man it's a real shame he wasn't assassinated isn't it? We don't need no leftist whackos supporting terrorists and Bin Laden by dissing our leaders in this troubled time. f*cking leftist whackos.....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
okie wrote:
jespah wrote:

Quote:
Your atttitude, if typical of your political faction, and it seems that it is based on a sampling here on this forum, is one big reason you guys earn no respect among people that truly care about the country first before their stupid party, regardless which party.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 10:08 am
dyslexia wrote:
okie wrote:
jespah wrote:

Quote:
Your atttitude, if typical of your political faction, and it seems that it is based on a sampling here on this forum, is one big reason you guys earn no respect among people that truly care about the country first before their stupid party, regardless which party.

ahhhh... hoisted by his own petard....
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 01:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Well, the man deserves credit for requesting his views not be published until after his death. More than you can say about Carter out there every day mouthing off about Israel, Iraq, and everything else, as if he ran a perfect foreign policy.

I think it should be noted Ford's remarks as being made after we supposedly believe no late WMD was found. I wonder what he had said if they were indeed found, as the CIA predicted would be a "slam dunk?"
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:52 pm
Not so fast about what Ford really thought about Iraq. Perhaps he supported the war, but maybe different reasons should have been emphasized?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003525710

In light of this, perhaps we need to review Woodward's credibility? Remember Woodwards Casey's deathbed interview that has been accused as being bogus? And Woodwards questionable involvement and motivation in the Valerie Plame Joseph Wilson affair?
0 Replies