Of course, he will always be known most for his pardon of RMN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,999 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:58 pm
He will be known most for having been the thirty-eighth President of the United States.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:58 pm
Former President Gerald Ford, who became president in 1974 after the resignation of Richard Nixon, died Tuesday at age 93, his wife, Betty Ford, told The Associated Press.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:59 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
He will be known most for having been the thirty-eighth President of the United States.

Wrong as usual.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:01 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Former President Gerald Ford, who became president in 1974 after the resignation of Richard Nixon, died Tuesday at age 93, his wife, Betty Ford, told The Associated Press.

Funny they didn't mention him being 38th president in the headline.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:04 pm
I'll mourn him as our president, sincerely.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:05 pm
He was appointed Vice President when Agnew got ousted. He was appointed President when Nixon got ousted. I think the last elected position he held was Notary Public!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:09 pm
I was never a fan, though I have a faint memory of some choice of his I agreed with somewhere along the line - mostly not.

Still, I'll not do a dump on him today.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:19 pm
He was a fine man, not one of our greatest presidents. I think him pardoning Nixon was actually the best thing for the country as much as I would have liked to see THAT SOB go to jail.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:29 pm
Unfortunate that it took you so long and so many rejected reminders to get you to acknowledge this obvious and very prominent fact
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:14 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Unfortunate that it took you so long and so many rejected reminders to get you to acknowledge this obvious and very prominent fact

Who is this addressed to and what does it mean?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:34 am
Actually, there are some good things to say about Gerald Ford. He never got a blow job. He never started a war. He never screwed the American people.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:46 am
NickFun wrote:
Actually, there are some good things to say about Gerald Ford. He never got a blow job.

That is hitting below the belt.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 01:10 am
I hate to seem macabre, but if he died from a fall..........
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:22 am
The poor man inherited so many problems he was set up to fail....

Aside from the pardon (which really there was no other choice), he inherited stubborn inflation, a recession, high unemployment and an energy crisis. Also as U.S. involvement in Vietnam was winding down, North Vietnamese forces eventually overran South Vietnam, triggering a chaotic evacuation of U.S. loyalists from the country in 1975.

Considering all that, he did pretty well when running for re-election, he carried 27 states and came very close to beating Carter in the Electoral College. A shift of just 23,000 votes in two states, Ohio and Wisconsin, would have given Ford the win. Amazing considering what he had to deal with in office.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 07:30 am
Ford and bush, two presidents that were placed into office rather than earning it. There the similarities end. Ford was at least a gentleman and not an overbearing prick. Laughing

He was President in any case and reached a level of success that few have or will, give him his props for that, and let him rest.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:01 am
President Ford led a wonderful and important life. From his days in the Navy throught his 16 or so years in Congress, he was a smart, considerate gentleman, with a great sense of humor.

He was the right man at the right time to lead this nation.

Not much of a golfer though!

Thank you for your service and God bless.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:03 am
woiyo wrote:
President Ford led a wonderful and important life. From his days in the Navy throught his 16 or so years in Congress, he was a smart, considerate gentleman, with a great sense of humor.

He was the right man at the right time to lead this nation.

Not much of a golfer though!

Thank you for your service and God bless.

very well put and gracious of you woiyo, and well deserved by Mr. Ford IMO.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:03 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Ford and bush, two presidents that were placed into office rather than earning it. There the similarities end. Ford was at least a gentleman and not an overbearing prick. Laughing

He was President in any case and reached a level of success that few have or will, give him his props for that, and let him rest.

Can't get over the law being followed in 2000? That is really a shame Bear I thought you were a bigger bear then that.

I'm to young to remember Ford being President seeing as how I was born in 1973. I do recall however seeing footage of him falling down the stairs coming down Air Force One.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:06 am
Baldimo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Can't get over the law being followed in 2000? That is really a shame Bear I thought you were a bigger bear then that.

I'm to young to remember Ford being President seeing as how I was born in 1973. I do recall however seeing footage of him falling down the stairs coming down Air Force One.

Yes I was young once and knew everything, just like you Baldimo. You'll become more stupid and realize you know sooooo much less than you thought as you get older, just like the rest of us. Laughing No sign of it yet though.

As a side note, I have now twice seen bush make his statement on CNN this morning and I'm struck by his bed head. Doesn't he carry someone to Crawford to dress him and comb his hair? Laughing
0 Replies