Stressed out? You're not alone

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:40 pm
Quote:
Stress Knows No Boundaries

By WILL LESTER
The Associated Press

Published: Dec 21, 2006

WASHINGTON - That tense feeling often connected to having too much to do, too many bills to pay and not enough time or money is a common emotion that knows few borders.

About three-fourths of people in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, South Korea and the United Kingdom say they experience stress daily, according to Associated Press-Ipsos polling. Those anxious feelings are even more intense during the holidays.

Spaniards, 61 percent, were not as wound up as those in most other countries polled. They could all take a lesson from Mexico, where more than half of Mexicans said they rarely or never experience stress in their daily lives.

That is not the experience for most people in the 10 countries polled - especially women.

When stress was recently mentioned to Heidi Zabit of Durham, Conn., it seemed to touch a bundle of nerves.

"My life is just so stressful right now, I'm exploding all over the place," said Zabit, a paralegal and single mother of three boys. "Financially, the stresses are putting me under the table. After a full day of work, we finish dinner and do homework. By 9 p.m., I'm fried. And it's magnified by the holidays. They emotionally string us all out, they string our kids out, as far as hopes and expectations."

Germans feel stress more intensely than those in other countries polled. People in the United States cite financial pressures as the top worry. About half the people in Britain said that they frequently or sometimes felt life was beyond their control, the highest level in the 10 countries surveyed.

In most of countries, men were more likely to say their lives weren't out of control.

The factors that cause stress are on the increase in modern industrial democracies. They include multiple jobs, long commutes and increasingly complex technology.

"The level of stress in fast-paced technological societies has been accelerating," said Gershen Kaufman, a clinical psychologist and professor emeritus at Michigan State University. "There's an increased emphasis placed on wealth in this country. We're gradually exporting this around the world."

In the United States, Britain and Mexico, finances were cited most frequently as the top stress source. Jobs were the top stress source in Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, South Korea and Spain. The French viewed jobs and finances equally as top sources of stress.

In several countries, those earning the highest incomes said jobs were the leading source of stress. Those making the lowest said it was finances.

In many of those countries, such as Italy, Germany and France, the word "stress" has such a powerful influence that it has become incorporated into their language.

For Mexico City construction worker Javier Juan, one reason he "almost never" experiences stress may be his priorities. He worries most about the well-being of his wife and children. "Their health and how I'm going to obtain money to cure them is the biggest worry - more than anything else," he said.
Source

http://i17.tinypic.com/2eq562o.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 802 • Replies: 9
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 12:56 pm
walter :
canadians are so "laid back" , you have to tell them that they are stressed out or they won't believe it .
that certainly seems to be true for canadians not living in "toronna" and other large cities .
when i was still employed the new president hired an expert to teach the management team "stress relief " .
we just about drove the poor fellow around the bend because we kept telling him : " we are not stressed - just go back to toronto , so that we can knock off early this afternoon " .
a secong session was not scheduled .
hbg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 03:38 pm
Re: Stressed out? You're not alone
Walter Hinteler wrote:
....About three-fourths of people in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, South Korea and the United Kingdom say they experience stress daily, according to Associated Press-Ipsos polling. Those anxious feelings are even more intense during the holidays.

Count me in as the 3/4 of Australians feeling this way, Walter.

However, I wish to report, that the stress isn't more intense during the holidays as suggested. On day 1 of mine, I feel great! Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:30 pm
http://213.8.106.75/pics/4/4/7/2/14142744b.gif

***this bottle may only be opened to obtain stress relief***
hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:41 pm
Walter, I am surprised that 37% of Germans mentioned stress in their
job. Usually, Germans have it much easier and better than other nations:
30 days paid vacation, paid healthcare, up to 6 weeks sick pay, very generous maternity leave for women, tenure until retirement, and Unions if help if needed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:41 pm
Right!

Thank, you hamburger!

I'll share, I promise! :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:06 pm
cj wrote :
"Walter, I am surprised that 37% of Germans mentioned stress in their
job. Usually, Germans have it much easier and better than other nations:
30 days paid vacation, paid healthcare, up to 6 weeks sick pay, very generous maternity leave for women, tenure until retirement, and Unions if help if needed. "

but it's perception , cj !
i too can pretend to be stressed if i try really hard .
perhaps if i look long enough at the rather grey sky , i too will feel stressed .
i well remember being a germany a few years ago hearing my b-i-l talking about "frust" (ich habe ja einen ganz tollen frust) - i had no idea what he meant , i needed an explanation .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:12 pm
walter, It seems those of us in the US who are retired and with no money worries are less stressed than many. I didn't realize work created that much stress, because I enjoyed my job.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:18 pm
c.i. wrote : "with no money worries " .

your prez can fix that in a hurry !
how ' bout spending a few more billion/trillion dollars to "win the war on terror" - i'm sure you want to be counted in , c.i.
"keep a smile in your heart" or "enjoy your life , it's later than you think ... !
happy festivus , c.i. !
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 03:33 pm
hbg, I have no control over this administration or congress in how they spend "our" money.

The only factor in our favor is simply that most people in this world still give "value" to the (inflated) US dollar. I find it curious and fascinating to find our federal reserve playing with interest rates to control inflation at 25 basis point intervals when there are billions/trillions of dollars floating around that can't be supported by anything but hot air. It seems to be working with the world population and financial institutions - for now.
0 Replies