I put down the cigs...

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:31 am
and now Im pissed off.

At everything.

I can not wait for this side effect to go the hell away..

(sigh)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,365 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:41 am
Go a head and be pissed, punch a wall, kick some rocks, it's better than smoking.

Keep this image in your mind: A few years ago I attended the funeral of a friend who died of lung cancer and emphysema at the age of 42. At the funeral were her two little girls (12 and 8), not only did they watch their mother die a long, slow death that involved oxygen tanks and a wheel chair, but now they had to bury her before they even got to high school. One of the best reasons to stop smoking is because your family loves and needs you. Carry around a picture of your daughter and when you get the urge to smoke look at that picture to remember what is most important.

You have over come so much in your life SW, this is just another bump in the road to conquer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:47 am
I have my resolve.

Im just not going to smoke anymore.
The decision is made. And once I make that kind of a decision, im pretty much done with the whole subject.

I just have to ride out the rollercoaster of withdrawing..

(sigh)

I dont want to do that to Jilllian or Ian. ( die from something I could have stopped that is )
I told them both that I would stop smoking when we moved in here.

We have been here 3 months.. IM behind on my promise. Wink
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:57 am
Another thing to help - put the money you would have spent on cigs. into a jar, at the end of the month go out and have a nice dinner or buy something special for the new home.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 08:57 am
shewolfnm- Right now you are going through withdrawal..........both physically and psychologically. The physical withdrawal will subside before long, but it is the emotional dependence that you will need to handle.

What can you do to replace the oral satisfaction that you received from the smoking? Chew gum? Suck on a mint? Find something (that is not too fattening) and use the substitute to get over the psychological "hump".

It is not easy to stop smoking. Cigarettes are designed by the manufacturers to be extremely addicting. They did this to keep you buying, and enhancing their bottom line. You have taken the first step in freeing yourself of this noxious habit, and you ought to be very proud of yourself. Things will start to taste better, your sinuses will be clearer, and ultimately, not smoking will be so much better for YOUR health, but for the health of the people around you.

So you feel like crap now. That is a sign that the body is craving its nicotine "fix". You have taken the first step. Be very proud of yourself!!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:07 am
I only spend about 12 dollars every 2-3 months on cigs.

I smoke maybe 4 a day, and I have a rolling machine.

Im a cheap skate.. hehehe

this will pass.. thank goodness.

but im just so angry . I dont like feeling this mad.
(sigh)

i should go gnaw on a bone with my dog.. Confused
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:13 am
Congrats on declaring your independence day, Shewolf.

Here's a trick I used that helped me to kick my smoking habit years ago, as well as fight my cravings for sweets these days. I purchase whole stick cinnamon and suck on pieces of it. You can make "teas" by soaking several cinnamon sticks in hot water. You don't need any extra sugar, but if you must, use a bit of Splenda. The spiced water makes super icecubes in the summer too. Just like sucking on cinnamon popsicles. The neat thing is that those cinnamon sticks can be reused over and over again if you remove them from the water before adding anything else. Let them air dry before storing again. Most of the time I never have many leftover sticks to reuse because they just taste so darned good when soggy and warm! They really hit the spot by keeping your mouth and hands busy while not loading you up with sugar and caffeine.

In the early stages, to keep your mind and hands occupied, clean off all the nicotine residue from the windows, walls and furniture. Wash all your clothes and air out anything that isn't washable. Getting rid of the cigarette stench will go a long way toward taming the cravings. Seeing all the stains on your cleaning rag will also help. You'll come to a point where you can't believe you walked around for years smelling like that. It's been more than 10 years since I quit and even after moving, I still find an occasional clothing accessory that reeks. Yuck! For real incentive, each week put the equivilent amount of cigarette money into a big jar. Let the Beanster count out how many dollars you've saved each week by not smoking.

If you feel your anger getting out of control, try to refocus it back onto the cigarette companies and how good it feels to be free of their manipulation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:49 am
Personally, every time I quit, I just did it. And there are no "tricks" that help in my opinion. Gum, suckers, whatever....didn't work. They just made me think "damn this so doesn't compare..."

You just have to decide and then do it.
There is no easy way out.

Good luck and congratulations!!!!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:50 am
Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did besides being a faithful husband (took 4 wives for that) but it was worth it. Hang in there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:59 am
Be prepared for a period of insomnia beginning a few days after you've quit. It can last for a week or two. Your nerve endings are de-gunking and all of your senses will start to awaken. At 4 cigs/day you might or might not go through this, but don't worry about it. This too shall pass...

Good decision, she. Best wishes to your success.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:02 am
I found that when I was really crazy for a cigarette a cold shot of tequila and just a tiny bump of cocaine really helped. Try that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:19 am
HA!

all but the cocaine.. Wink

I have chamomile / valerian / green tea made
it is soothing my nerves

I have never in my life smoked in my house.
I think that is disgusting. I never smoke in my car either.
I have always been a very picky smoker.
I hate the smell of cigarettes and will go to the ends of the earth to make sure I dont smell like it.

I have a 'smoking' shirt I wear when I do smoke.
I go outside. I smoke, then i come back in and change my shirt, rinse my hair and wash my hands......

scouts honor..

I never smoke before I work, and I never smoke around Bean.
Sometimes , my own smoking rules would stop be from having a cigarette all day. But no matter, I would notbreak my rules.

Now, I just wont smoke.
period

(sigh)

thanks everyone. Smile
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:13 am
shewolf, Good for you! I know you can do it. You're a tough person. Why not put the money you save every day into a jar. You can have the visual reinforcement of watching that money grow.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:19 pm
About every 3 months I would by a can of tobacco.
That would cost 10.99 and make almost 2 cartons

I would buy a box of plugs for 2.00 once every other month

that is the total cost of my smokes.
thats it. Very Happy

im a cheap skate .. really. i am
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
staying busy today helped

I sorted some old clothes in my bed room

swept the floor twice

i now have an elaborate dinner going

dusted every square inch of the house

(sigh)

hey........ it works.........
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:23 pm
Quitting smoking is sooo f*cking hard!!!

I quit about almost two years ago and I STILL get cravings!

Good luck with it, Wolfie. I feel your pain.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:27 pm
Good luck and congratulations!

If you run into trouble you could try the Uncle Buck 5-Year Plan to stop smoking: First you eliminate cigarettes, then go to cigars, then to pipes, then chewing tobacco, then finally to that nicotine gum.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:31 pm
Laughing

that covers all forms of cancer right there.

all inclusive stop smoking plan!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:53 pm
I just thought of something I do when I want to lose weight. Whenever I get a food craving (usually out of boredom, stress or work avoidance) I brush my teeth with a strong peppermint toothpaste. It gives me something to do with my hands and mouth (no comments please Bear) and it takes away the craving. It would probably work with cigs. too, all addictions are similar.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 01:56 pm
good idea.

I have had some chamomile/valerian tea brewing all day.

If I get a craving , i am drining some from a very small cup.

I make it really hot so i have to sip slowly.. ( hand to mouth)

toothpicks
tooh BRUSHING

good ideas Smile
0 Replies