Does This Surprise Anyone?

LibertyD

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 02:08 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Actually, the emergency broadcast system scares the daylights out of me. If it doesn't scare you, you are a complacent fool.

That's absolutely ridiculous. And I'm very sorry for you that it scares the daylights out of you. To me, the EBS is the equivilent of letting a doomsday prophesy scare you that much -- yes I know that they're "checking for invaders" and that we'll be told if we're under attack -- but for the most part it's "just a test." Nothing to worry about unless your favorite television show is interrupted with a live telecast of burning buildings or a downed plane. IMHO, for the very reason that your fave show could be out done by a terrorist event you shouldn't let the EBS or the color warnings make you scared. That's not complacency -- it's the ability to be aware and enjoy life at the same time.

Don't let the man get you down.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 02:44 pm
It is not ridiculous. If you don't happen to hear the part "...this is only a test..", with all the **** going on in the world today, everything from terrorism to natural disasters, I have right and a duty to my family to be wary.

You go stick your head in the sand, fine by me.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 03:46 pm
McGentrix, I wouldn't piss on your avatar to put it out if it were on fire...just for the record...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
http://prodtn.cafepress.com/4/5194544_F_tn.jpg

CHAOS (red): Apocalypse Now Unfolding

PANIC (orange): Arabiacs At Your Front Door

PARANOIA (yellow): Sustain. Re-elect. Repeat.

APATHY (blue): Status Quo Navel-Gazing

STUPOR (green); Limbaugh. Friends. Survivor.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:24 pm
Bi P - just getting around to this. What are we supposed to do about a color code anyway? What kind of action is required? When they announced the red warning about air pollution here, I knew we were supposed to stay inside. I have no idea what we're supposed to do about a red terrorist alert. Cry?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 12:38 am
cjhsa, I think you are getting the reaction because you omitted the word "test" from your earlier statement about the emergency broadcast system.

The system itself is a terrific communication tool. I've experienced its use several times here in California due to earthquakes, chemical fires and floods.

You are right, however, the alert sound from the periodic tests of the system also give me a temporary panic each time I hear them unexpectedly.

Is that what you were trying to comment on, the sound from the tests and not the system itself?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:32 am
McGentrix
If the color alerts are not meant for the general public why issue them to the general public? Could it be to remind people of the war on terrorism and that the Bush administration is hard at work dealing with it. Remember the election is only 17 months away.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:49 am
au1929 is right on the button. the color code terror system is a political tool, not unlike GWB himself.

BTW referring to another thread, calling GWB a tool is not an inflammatory remark if I that's what I really think he is. And it is, among other things. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:57 am
au1929 wrote:
McGentrix
If the color alerts are not meant for the general public why issue them to the general public? Could it be to remind people of the war on terrorism and that the Bush administration is hard at work dealing with it. Remember the election is only 17 months away.

Some people aren't apathethic and care about what is happening around and to our country. They like to keep informed. Also, some people are volunteer firemen, EMT's, etc and need to know what is happening, but may not be on an "official" notification list. By issueing the current alert condition, every American knows what is going on.

It could also be what you suggest as well. But I doubt that is the sole purpose.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:10 am
Gosh McGentrix, that wouldn't be a left handed , snotty, holier than thou pain in the ass personal attack on leftists in general and au1929 in particular would it? Gosh you're sneaky. But what a smooth talker. I admire you.

Be careful though, someone might say something back, and then you'll cry.

There is a point of view by a growing number of people who are NOT apathetic and who ABSOLUTELY CARE about this country, and are tired of what they see as the manipulation of the American people.by things like color code alerts.

As far as every American knowing what is going on, I hardly think that "We have intelligence that is causing us to raise the color alert" is Americans knowing what's going on. The clear message about terror from our government is similar to the message from the cable company. "Stay home, because we might be around sometime between 9 and 5. Can't say exactly when, so just put your life on hold and know that we are working and you must work your life around that".

Well screw that, I've got things to do.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:22 am
McGentrix

Quote:
Some people aren't apathetic and care about what is happening around and to our country. They like to keep informed.

Keep informed of what? It's time to bring out the duct tape. It is apparent by your answer you haven't got an answer. There is absolutely no logical justification for the issuance of color codes to the general public other than as a PR tool.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:38 am
Whatever.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:58 am
The "alert" system appears to have two functions. the first function is to assure the "psychological comfort" of the citizenry that the "proper authorities" are busy protecting us, the second function is more political in nature reminding us that the Bush Administration is ever vigilant in our defense. Neither function have much to do with actual homeland security.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:08 am
dyslexia

I would say they gave "psychological discomfort" rather than comfort. At least they did now however, I expect they are generally ignored.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:10 am
well, AU, seems the duct tape and plastic sheeting pretty much did in whatever seriousness might have given rise to "psycological comfort"
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:15 am
If there was any ever vigilance going on, a bunch of idiots with box cutters, if that's even the real truth, wouldn't have been able to cause 9/11 in the first place.

The only thing this administration has it's eye on in an ever vigilant fashion are opportunities for profit at the expense of anything or anybody for themselves, their political advancement, and the expansion of their power base.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
This is able2know? It's beginning to sound just like Abuzz. I kept reading because I thought I'd learn something. Sad.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 04:49 pm
Who beat the hell outta John Ashcroft, McG?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:22 pm
Not John Ashcroft, keep looking...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:38 pm
It sounds like Abuzz because just about everyone on this thread is from Abuzz.

The whole point of terrorism is to strike when least expected to cause the most chaos and panic. Therefore I would predict the most dangerous time would be any Wednesday at 3:37 pm .
0 Replies