Shocked Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,720 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:17 am
THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING . . .

-- C. Little
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:20 am
I would be more surprised if it didn't happen. I expect the color to be raised during the election every time the opponent makes a speech.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:35 am
Gosh, do you think people will stop taking it seriously??
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 06:49 am
We will be having a small cook out for a few friends on the 4th. with fireworks by the pool as we did last year. Last year we put up a red white and blue balloon arch over the driveway.

This year I'm putting up an orange one. I'm sure in my neighborhood it will piss off the neighbors to NO END!!!! Razz

That is if they even get it. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:09 am
I think the 'crying wolf' scenario is going to kick in very soon...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:17 am
Obviously you don't understand the color coding system.

It is not designed for the general population, other than to tell you the authorities have changed the level of security.

It means that certain precautions must be taken. The US Army deploys troops with anti-aircraft capability to high profile locations. Airports increase the level of security. There are LOTS of behind the scene stuff going on when the levels are raised.

I am sorry you don't take these things seriously, but I am sure you will be the first ones whining that not enough was done if something should happen.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:16 am
McGentrix- Agree- I would much rather be warned, and then nothing happens, than NOT be warned, and there is a tragedy.

Personally, if something DOES happen, it will, IMO, probably be when we least expect it!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
This year I'm putting up an orange one. I'm sure in my neighborhood it will piss off the neighbors to NO END!!!! Razz

haha!!! Laughing That's hilarious!

I can see the point that the alert system is mainly for airports, the military and law enforcement, etc. and also to cover their arses if something does happen -- we can't say that we weren't warned, right? I think that this color-coded alert system will eventually be like the Emergency Broadcast System -- we don't freak out when that comes on television but accept that it's there and know what it's for (I guess). At least the color warnings don't have that annoying whine to them! Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 10:14 am
mcgentrix I understand perfectly what the color coding system is for.

In theory it is for everything you say it is. It is also for keeping
the general population in a state of fear so the Bush administration can reelect it's puppet leader....keep spending on the military at the expense of domestic programs and utilize the military for land grabs that a handful of corporations and individuals can profit from.

Don't you find it strange that we should be told by the new improved psychic Department of Homeland Security that we'll be at orange for the 4th. of July?

Don't you think if a terrorist attack is that imminent we should be at orange alert right now?

It is you who misunderstand...purposely, the meaning of the color codes I'm afraid.

I won't whine about anything, by the way, America is now enjoying the life the current administration spends most of its time and resources directing us towards. Be happy. You elected them. Drunk
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 10:51 am
So, delusional AND bi-polar?

Quote:
It is also for keeping the general population in a state of fear so the Bush administration can reelect it's puppet leader....keep spending on the military at the expense of domestic programs and utilize the military for land grabs that a handful of corporations and individuals can profit from.

Don't you find it strange that we should be told by the new improved psychic Department of Homeland Security that we'll be at orange for the 4th. of July?

Don't you think if a terrorist attack is that imminent we should be at orange alert right now?

There is no truth to anything you stated here.

There is no intention to keep anyone in a state of fear except for any terrorist who should find the idea of making some sort of statement during the celebration of the birth of America.

Your use of "psychic Department of Homeland Security" is meant only to offend and has no basis in reality.

I don't know if a terrorist attack is imminent or not, but the 4th of July would be a great time to stage one, so why not be prepared?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:18 pm
The color code for the northeast air quality today is red, and they have posted warning flags. This is a dangerous level. It means you should stay inside with air-conditioning if you don't have to go out. This is for real, BP. So how is one to distinguish which warning it is? Or, is the terrorist warning actually the air quality warning, which would make sense considering the administration's disregard for the environment?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:25 pm
Actually, the emergency broadcast system scares the daylights out of me. If it doesn't scare you, you are a complacent fool.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:19 pm
McGentrix, can it be that you have a problem with remarks that are "meant to offend"?

You McGentrix, a master of personal insults? How very like you to fling insults and pick a fight from the safety of your bunker like your hero in that avatar there.

I submit that what I posted is the 100% unadulterated truth.

So explain to me why, if we are in imminent danger of terrorist attack we are not on orange alert right now. If all major holidays and sporting events are to be at orange alert, let's have a blanket statement to that effect, but not tell us a few weeks out when the alert will be changed from one color to another.

And that, as you are well aware, is what I meant by "psychic".
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:26 pm
chjsa, I am aware of the fact that we could be nuked somewhere, have chemicals or biologicals leaked into our air or water, have a plane hijacked or any number of nasty things at ANY given moment anywhere in this land. It's already been proven that all our defense systems and intelligence can be defeated by a few individuals with box cutters.

I'm also aware of the fact that I could have a stroke before I finish typing this response, or that a rogue black cell could be dividing in my body somewhere right this second.

The fact that I refuse to freak out and put my life on red alert because of it doesn't make me complacent, it just indicates that I realize life is fragile at best, so I decide to live it.

What the hell else should I do? Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:33 pm
I have to disagree with Phoenix for the first time ever....personally, I would rather not know if something is going to not happen....save all that for real emergencies. All that this terror warning crap does for the population is make them anxious for the whole holiday. Then, a big phew, nothing happened...how much of your time and mental energy has now been wasted worrying about the warning? Let's not even get into the negative effects of stress. I am starting to buy into the theory that these constant warnings, especially around big holidays, are a psy-ops exercise in crowd control....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:37 pm
bet on it cav and take any odds they offer, you'll be rich......
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix, can it be that you have a problem with remarks that are "meant to offend"?

You McGentrix, a master of personal insults? How very like you to fling insults and pick a fight from the safety of your bunker like your hero in that avatar there.

I submit that what I posted is the 100% unadulterated truth.

So explain to me why, if we are in imminent danger of terrorist attack we are not on orange alert right now. If all major holidays and sporting events are to be at orange alert, let's have a blanket statement to that effect, but not tell us a few weeks out when the alert will be changed from one color to another.

And that, as you are well aware, is what I meant by "psychic".

First, I will extend a thanks for thinking so highly of me, and my avatar.

Secondly, Could it be possible, just possible, that there are no known imminent threats and that because July 4 is a rather important holiday for Americans, that the government thought it would rather be safe than sorry? Maybe just raise the alert as a precautionary measure.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:45 pm
Well, that's why everyone should come up to Tarana on July 30th for the big SARS is a joke relief concert headlining the Rolling Stones, AC/DC and other cool acts (except Justin Timberlake)....Rush and U2 are in negotiation....and it's only $16 American! That is, don't be afraid....

Tickets go on sale Friday.

http://www.q107.com/station/sp_stones.cfm
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 01:51 pm
Re the color-coding: I've heard the argument before that these warnings (if that's what they are) aren't for the general public, but for those experts who are out there protecting us from whatever threat is being picked up on the sensors. The rest of us are supposed to go about our business, blithely confident that everything is being taken care of.

If that's the case, why announce the color changes to all of us? That's where the suspicion comes into play that there's some other agenda here...
0 Replies