Army chief of staff wants to ease restrictions on using rese

snood

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:57 am
No problem, BBB. I got my 'ignore' whammy workin, now.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:52 am
Snood
snood wrote:
No problem, BBB. I got my 'ignore' whammy workin, now.

Thanks, friend.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:56 am
Re: Snood and Madam
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Snood and Madam, please take your personal fight to a thread of your own. If you continue to divert my topic, I will ask the moderators to lock this thread.

BBB Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes It wasn't I that took this thread off topic, however, you chose to single me out with a smarmy chastising on the second page of this thread, you'll excuse me if I find your threat a little disingeneous. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:18 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Snood and Madam, please take your personal fight to a thread of your own. If you continue to divert my topic, I will ask the moderators to lock this thread.
BBB Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes It wasn't I that took this thread off topic, however, you chose to single me out with a smarmy chastising on the second page of this thread, you'll excuse me if I find your threat a little disingeneous. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 12:26 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
BBB Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes

You should report yourself for keeping this thread off topic and have it closed. That would really show us your true mettle.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:20 pm
McGentrix wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
BBB Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes

You should report yourself for keeping this thread off topic and have it closed. That would really show us your true mettle.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1727/frsaap5aj.jpg
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:24 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB Rolling Eyes

Is this a posting police as well? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:26 pm
Its all the same ridiculous silliness - of course, that sorta silliness is rampant here, and that's far from an exclusive property of A2K - some folks are just predisposed to the ridiculous - dragging it around with 'em like Marley drags his chains in Scrooge's dreams.

Oh ... and God bless us everyone.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:08 pm
Yeah, well you're not only ridiculous and silly but a grade-A poopity head to boot.

But happy holidays to yuh
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:19 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Its all the same ridiculous silliness - of course, that sorta silliness is rampant here, and that's far from an exclusive property of A2K - some folks are just predisposed to the ridiculous - dragging it around with 'em like Marley drags his chains in Scrooge's dreams.

Oh ... and God bless us everyone.

I guess i just have a problem with what seems to be selective outrage
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 06:40 pm
snood wrote:
Yeah, well you're not only ridiculous and silly but a grade-A poopity head to boot.

Right back atchya snood - all the best to you and yours.

LSM wrote:

Evidently you perceive "selective outrage" to be not an attribute of your manner of interaction on these boards.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6726/spock2ci2.gif
Fascinating.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:20 pm
timberlandko wrote:
snood wrote:

Right back atchya snood - all the best to you and yours.

LSM wrote:

Evidently you perceive "selective outrage" to be not an attribute of your manner of interaction on these boards.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6726/spock2ci2.gif
Fascinating.

You're right, i don't.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
No point belaboring the obvious; thats been made more than abundantly clear.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:09 pm
timberlandko wrote:
No point belaboring the obvious; thats been made more than abundantly clear.

Then I suggest you stop.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:28 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Then I suggest you stop.

Click here for the audio of the above

That outta the way, rudely shifting focus back to the actual topic, I gotta say I agree that unrealistic restrictions on Guard/Reserve deployments do hamper America's warfighting capability. The events of the past 5 years demonstrate conclusively that we need an overall larger military, Active, Guard, and Reserve alike.

Gotta say too that while I can manage some empathy with those facing more and/or longer callups than they had bargained for, I have little sympathy; they took the oath freely, and while by no means a majority, a large proportion of them took that oath after 9/11. Like 'em or not, orders is orders, and by taking the oath one obligates oneself to follow orders.

In the end, blame does fall on the Government - by extension, The Current Administration; the major failing has been not making clear to The Nation - and the world - that this is a real war, every bit as real as any we have fought, and its being fought for stakes that haven't been on the table since WWII. It is a war unlike any ever fought, and the enemy responsible for thrusting this war upon us (some 3 decades and more ago) is unlike any ever faced. Am I satisfied with our progress in this war? Most assuredly not. Do I advocate abandoning the war, and the millions of people at risk to the enemy? Again, most assuredly not. I do advocate - most strongly - learning from, addressing, and correcting past mistakes with intent to achieve conclusive success as efficiently and rapidly as is practicable ... and I readilly acknowledge the conflict will go on for years to come yet, perhaps decades, even if all that has not been done well is brought immediately to where it long ago should have been.

I see the current state of affairs as propitious for the enemy, and I should be, though very dismayed, thoroughly unsurprised to see the enemy gain significant near-term advantage through exploitation of our present self-inflicted shortcomings.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 06:29 am
Those guys over there, the guys we are worrying about, aren't good guys. On the other hand, neither are we.

They aren't crushable like a unit or batallion. Neither are we.

They don't seem likely to alter their ideas, behavior, and goals until they understand the ways in which those ideas, behaviors and goals work against them. Same for us.

We really better get at it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 10:27 am
Timber
Timber, the third person most responsible is Donald Rumsfeld. He was so focus on reforming the military forces, an admirable effort, that he screwed up our invasion of Iraq. He wouldn't listen to anyone who opined that we needed more boots on the ground because it was contrary to his campaign to make the military leaner and meaner and with more technology.

To concede that more boots on the ground were necessary as a follow up to the initial invasion would conflict with his lesser theory. His gigantic arrogant ego to defend his reorganization goals led him to doom the U.S. efforts in Iraq from the very beginning.

In addition, Rumsfeld would only appoint civilian and military people to leadership positions if they supported his goals. This happened several times re top military positions. Those that disagreed with him were not appointed.

Thus was the disastrous bubble was created.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:00 am
Joint Chiefs Oppose Iraq 'Surge'
'Wash Post' Scoop: Joint Chiefs Oppose Iraq 'Surge'
By E&P Staff
Published: December 19, 2006 9:55 AM ET

likely move by President Bush in favor of sending a new "surge" of troops to Iraq has consumed media interest and speculation in the past week. On Tuesday, veteran Washington Post reporters Robin Wright and Peter Baker, noting that the proposal might mark the most critical decision on Iraq since the 2003 invasion, reveal that the Joint Chiefs of Staff oppose the notion.

The entire article can be found at www.washingtonpsot.com. It opens as follows.

The Bush administration is split over the idea of a surge in troops to Iraq, with White House officials aggressively promoting the concept over the unanimous disagreement of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, according to U.S. officials familiar with the intense debate.

Sending 15,000 to 30,000 more troops for a mission of possibly six to eight months is one of the central proposals on the table of the White House policy review to reverse the steady deterioration in Iraq. The option is being discussed as an element in a range of bigger packages, the officials said.

But the Joint Chiefs think the White House, after a month of talks, still does not have a defined mission and is latching on to the surge idea in part because of limited alternatives, despite warnings about the potential disadvantages for the military, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the White House review is not public.

The chiefs have taken a firm stand, the sources say, because they believe the strategy review will be the most important decision on Iraq to be made since the March 2003 invasion.

At regular interagency meetings and in briefing President Bush last week, the Pentagon has warned that any short-term mission may only set up the United States for bigger problems when it ends. The service chiefs have warned that a short-term mission could give an enormous edge to virtually all the armed factions in Iraq -- including al-Qaeda's foreign fighters, Sunni insurgents and Shiite militias -- without giving an enduring boost to the U.S military mission or to the Iraqi army, the officials said.

The Pentagon has cautioned that a modest surge could lead to more attacks by al-Qaeda, provide more targets for Sunni insurgents and fuel the jihadist appeal for more foreign fighters to flock to Iraq to attack U.S. troops, the officials said.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:13 am
The invasion was successful, the aftermath is questionable. saddam is gone & Baghdad fell.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
The invasion was successful, the aftermath is questionable. saddam is gone & Baghdad fell.

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=36844#36844]A long, long time ago[/url], timber wrote:
With or without an Anti-War Movement, there is an escalating situation of global importance in progress. The potential for war approaches statistical certainty. History often moves at a glacier's pace, but there are avalanches from time to time, which tend to alter the course of the glacier. A glacier's progress can be predicted with a fair amount of certainty, but the avalanches introduce such uncertainty as exists. Of particular inconvenience about avalanches is that it can be necessary to wait for the dust to settle before the effect can be assessed.

Any US-Led military action directed toward Iraq will in short order and with few casualties, barring the deployment of weapons of mass destruction, achieve "Regime Change" in Iraq. If, God forbid, WMDs are used, the civilian toll will rise exponentially in proportion to military casualties. Western Military Might is quite sufficient to the task of achieving limited, clearly defined military goals against any individual Third World Nation. Unfortunately, purely military goals rarely complement or even permit effective settlement or resolution of the core disputes which led to the employment of military means in the first place.

The disintegration of The Balkans along ethnic, religious, ideologic, and tribal faultlines (to continue the "Avalanche Analogy") holds a disturbing lesson. The societal and cultural divisions of the people of The Middle East make The Balkans look positively stable. Power, and with it order, is a thing of most delicate balance in the region. As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Clan and Tribal affilliations are often held above Nationalist sentiment. The "Nations" of which the Middle Easterner may find himself citizen are essentially Western Constructs, imposed on diverse ethno-cultural groups which have deepseated, longstanding differences, without regard to the societies affected by the arbitrary borders. The matter of "What is to become of The Ottoman Empire" has yet to be settled.

The real threat in this situation is widespread instability in the region, the collapse of governments, the fragmentation of nations, ongoing power struggles and alliegience shifts. I see no problem "Winning The War"; I see little reason to suspect we will be able to "Win The Peace". A US-Led military action against Iraq poses significant challenges to neighboring states. Many are caught in "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations, having to choose between internal threat and external threat. Massive Civil Unrest, more Anti-US/UN than Anit-War, in our supposed "Client States" in the region has decided potential. A leader or party displaced by either internal or external power is equally entitled to and assured of all the inconvenience of having been foricbly deposed. There isn't much of a market for used dictatorial autocrats.

We risk tedious entanglement here, having implications for generations to come. Iraq is a distraction, PEACE is the issue. Unfortunately, humankind has proved great capacity for distraction. I think I hear an avalanche.

timber
0 Replies