Army chief of staff wants to ease restrictions on using rese

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:10 pm
Snood, I'm interested in this.

My perception from a variety of news sources (aka many google links) is that reservists have already been back there more than they ever imagined. My perception is also that putting more over there Iraq to start with, but looking around) makes the mainland more vulnerable.

I'll admit this is a gross read and that I post with a bias against our invasion/(help).

Still, my skimming reading shows us as stretched already, and that the Afghanistan situation is ill-served. Me being me, I wasn't for us arming the Mojahadeen to start with, in order to counter Russia, which shouldn't have been there either, to me.

But, given all this is going on,

what?

People get more bennies for signing up for reserves? I can foresee many trapped. But many, probably most, also feel patriotic duty.

Just wondering about your take, not to put you on the spot.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:11 pm
Just what relevance does Ft Polk have to this thread?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:18 pm
Well, I tried to edit, I'll see if I can add a bit -

I'll add that my view of patriotism may vary from others but is no less real. PM me if you prefer.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:34 pm
dyslexia wrote:

None, Dys. But consider the source.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:40 pm
Osso - I'm still doing penance for crimes that got me banned early this year. The powers that be will allow me to receive PMs, but not reply to them.

I have seen enlistment bonuses seem to increase, understanding that my observations are anecdotal.
The casual mentionings I hear from the rank and file about this war in Iraq aren't in favor of it. Its sort of a schizo thing - everyone seems to realize this is a lose/lose scenario we're in over there, but the military mindset is, really, ours-is-not-to-reason-why.

Here's an article about some military members organized against the war:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070101/cooperweb
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:01 pm
So what kind of shape are we in with our military? Does anyone know? BBB, I ask so as to join your topic.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:32 pm
dyslexia wrote:

It served my purpose.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:35 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

It served my purpose.

Well, we can't ask for any more than that, can we?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:37 pm
LittleBitty wrote:
So what kind of shape are we in with our military? Does anyone know? BBB, I ask so as to join your topic.

Contrary to popular belief, morale is pretty good in Afghanistan & Iraq, according to our grandson. He has 3 more months in Afghanistan & a follow on to Iraq, he volunteered. He is with the 10th Mountain Div, trained at Ft Drum, went directly to Afghanistan, volunteered. He was home for Thanksgiving, we were very happy to see him.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:43 pm
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

It served my purpose.

I'm happy, I proved a point with it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:45 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

It served my purpose.

No, actually you have yet to prove anything on a2k.
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:47 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
LittleBitty wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, morale is pretty good in Afghanistan & Iraq, according to our grandson. He has 3 more months in Afghanistan & a follow on to Iraq, he volunteered. He is with the 10th Mountain Div, trained at Ft Drum, went directly to Afghanistan, volunteered. He was home for Thanksgiving, we were very happy to see him.

I thank him for his service; I thank all of the military past and present for their service.

Afghanistan is one war I supported and feel we have drifted away from it ever since our involvement in Iraq. We supposedly chased the terrorists but did we chase Bin Laden?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:11 pm
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

It served my purpose.

No, actually you have yet to prove anything on a2k.[/quote
In the words of that great & proud ebrown_p....[b]I don't have to[/b]
I did prove that snood is not what he pretends to be.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:15 pm
LittleBitty wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
LittleBitty wrote:

I thank him for his service; I thank all of the military past and present for their service.

Afghanistan is one war I supported and feel we have drifted away from it ever since our involvement in Iraq. We supposedly chased the terrorists but did we chase Bin Laden?

Afghanistan is still going strong but it isn't in the best interests of the media to report the progress there. As for Iraq, my grandson says that he feels like it is as much a war on terror as it is in AFghanistan & that's why he volunteered a follow on.
Thanks for your kindness. Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:30 pm
We had an easy time of it this year, but when the guard was called out last year during hurricane season, I remember hearing we were "thin."
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:37 pm
squinney wrote:
We had an easy time of it this year, but when the guard was called out last year during hurricane season, I remember hearing we were "thin."

We are thin here for NG, there's a lot of them deployed. Not a great situation for disasters here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:47 am
LittleBitty
LittleBitty wrote:

Reserves, National Guard feel strain of prolonged deployment
By Dave Montgomery and Drew Brown
McClatchy Newspapers
12/15/06

The nation's National Guard and Reserve forces are displaying signs of strain after five years of deployments in what has become the biggest active duty mobilization since the Korean War.

More than 500,000 Guard and Reserve troops have served in active duty since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and they've made up nearly half of the force fighting against terrorists and in combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Military leaders, pointing to an upswing in recruiting and retention, describe the nation's reserve force as the most professional and combat seasoned in history, bonded by a keen sense of patriotism.

But at the same time, many Guard units are struggling with chronic equipment shortages and funding problems that threaten their ability to respond to disaster and other emergencies in their home states. Thousands of reservists are serving in patchwork units cobbled together in piecemeal fashion from other units, often with little or no sense of cohesion.

"I think you're seeing the leading edge indicators of strain and fraying the edges," said Arnold L. Punaro, a retired Marine Corps general who chairs a commission looking into a possible overhaul of the Guard and Reserve. "And, yes, they are doing a good job of recruiting and retention, but at what cost and how long can they sustain it?"

The widening concerns over the reserve component come at a time when U.S. military leaders are pressing for even more reinforcements from Guard and Reserves to help ease the pressure on active-duty forces.

Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker, the Army's top general, warned Punaro's commission on Thursday that the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq "will break" the active duty force unless the Pentagon changes its mobilization policy to allow more involuntary call-ups from the Guard and Reserve. Schoomaker also wants to add thousands of active-duty forces.

Lt. Gen. David Poythress, the state adjutant general for the Georgia National Guard, said he agreed with Schoomaker that there need to be changes in the Army's structure since it's configured to fight high-intensity, short-duration wars, not the grinding guerrilla conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. But he expressed concern that the National Guard may be carrying too much of the load.

"You need readily available manpower on both the active and the reserve side," Poythress said. "There is a danger of breaking the Army, but there is an equivalent danger of breaking the Guard. Guardsmen don't sign up to be full-time soldiers. If that's what they wanted, they'd join the active Army."

Reserve advocates are noticing indications that some 30-something junior officers and non-commissioned officers are thinking about pulling the plug on their reserve status in order keep from falling behind on the civilian career ladder.

"They're at a point in their civilian career where they're making their mark," said Lt. Gen. Charles G. Rodriguez of Austin, adjutant general for the Texas National Guard. "Now is the time for them to punch their tickets and do all the hard things in their civilian jobs. If they're not there, they can't punch those tickets."

Rodriguez said recruitment in the Texas Guard is in line with the robust national trend and retention is "better than it's ever been." But some may be asking "can I afford to go a third time" if they're called upon to leave home again, he said.

"Most Guard families understand now that the possibility is very real for not only one deployment but for more than one," he said. "Some families are having difficulties because that's not what they signed up for."

The Sept. 11 era has completed the evolution of the nation's Guard and Reserves from their status as second-tier "weekend warriors" into an operational force capable of standing alongside and integrating into active-duty ranks.

During the Vietnam era, Reserve and Guard units - fairly or unfairly - gained a reputation as havens to escape the draft. A national change in how these units are viewed began with the deployment of 265,300 guardsmen and reservists during the 1991 Gulf War.

Only 37,463 reservists and Guard were called up from 1965 through 1973 during the Vietnam War. By contrast, more than 13 times that number have been dispatched to active duty since September 2001, a force drawn from cities and towns in every state.

Of the 88,500 currently mobilized, California has the largest contingent (4,559), followed by Texas (3,935), Pennsylvania (3,578) and Minnesota (3,079).

The Army National Guard and Army Reserve represent the biggest share of deployments but all of the other services also have sent thousands of their reservists into active duty service. More than 4,000 personnel have been deployed from Naval Air Station Fort Worth, the nation's largest joint reserve base that serves as home to more than 20 major units attached to the Air Force, Army, Marines and Texas Air National Guard.

Lt. Gen. Jack C. Stultz, commander of the Army Reserve who's also a 25-year employee of Proctor and Gamble in Orlando, Fla., said the men and women in today's Reserve and Guard are vastly different from the Reserve unit he joined in 1979. The unit commander, he said, opened the annual two-week active tour by asking who'd buy the beer for the end-of-tour party.

"These kids are the next Greatest Generation," Stultz said, referring to a name commonly given to America's World War II generation. "We've got a different caliber of soldier than we did in 1979."

Thousands joined up in the patriotic surge after the terrorist attacks. Members of the Guard have been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and also have served in anti-terrorism missions in Africa, peacekeeping forces in Bosnia and Kosovo, disaster responses such as Hurricanes Rita and Katrina and, more recently, in units supporting federal agents along the U.S.-Mexican border.

But repeated missions have taken a toll, prompting the nation's governors to complain to Punaro's commission about equipment shortages, inadequate training and insufficient federal funding. Units returning from combat were forced to leave much of their equipment with active-duty forces or replacements, leaving them ill equipped to confront disasters at home.

Schoomaker said the Army entered the war on terror "flat-footed," with a shortfall of about $100 billion in the funds it needed, including $56 billion in equipment shortages. The National Guard and Army Reserve, he said, suffered the brunt of that shortfall, often relying on outdated tanks, armored vehicles and helicopters, cast off from the active-duty forces, some of it dating back to the Vietnam War.

The situation worsened, as many units deploying to Iraq had to leave their best equipment behind. Schoomaker said the Army has designated more than $21 billion to buy new ground equipment and $1.9 billion for new aviation equipment.

Punaro and others also have criticized the Pentagon's mobilization polices, which they say have virtually wrecked unit cohesion in the National Guard and Reserves and left many units scrambling for volunteers to fill the ranks when the time came for them to deploy.

National Guard and Reserve forces can be called to active duty for up to two consecutive years under a partial mobilization, which is what President Bush declared after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The practice has been to mobilize part-time troops for no more than 24 cumulative months. National Guard and Reserve troops called for service in Iraq usually spend about six months training, then a year in Iraq, leaving them only six months of eligibility to serve in other active-duty roles.

Officials also have promised to call up part-time units no more than once every five years, but now with the Army short of manpower, they say the policies need to change.

Punaro said that only about 10 percent of the 522,000 soldiers in the Army National Guard and Army Reserve were available for deployment because of the Pentagon's mobilization policies.

Because of shortages across the Army National Guard and Army Reserves, many units had to bring in volunteers from other units and states, Punaro said. During the last two rotations, roughly 62 percent of Army Reserve units had to rely on volunteers from other units and states in order to deploy.
------------------------------------

McClatchy Newspapers correspondent Kevin G. Hall contributed to this article.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 12:33 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

It served my purpose.

No, actually you have yet to prove anything on a2k.[/quote
In the words of that great & proud ebrown_p....[b]I don't have to[/b]
I did prove that snood is not what he pretends to be.

No all you proved is that you could pull up a website for Ft Polk. And that you're demented enough to try to prove that who I am and what I've been doing for the last nearly 17 years doesn't exist.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:02 pm
More than that, i pulled up a link to The Home of the 10th Mountain Division which is Ft Drum, NOT Ft Polk, one would think you'd know that since you are at Ft Polk....
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 02:51 pm
Ahh, but the strawberries that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I'd have produced that key if they hadn't of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers...
0 Replies