Self-defense against rapists

Heeven

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:18 pm
Me too!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:04 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
I'm not implying blame for anything on anyone.
... I believe a course is a good use of ones time and energy.

I agree with everyone here.

If anyone believes I was making any sort of judgements, blame,
or fault then I apologize for the misundertanding.
My only intent is to support and encourage, and to suggest viable
options as everyone else is doing.

I have some experience with rape directly (defensively), rape victims, and
a few courses, but this is obviously not the place to share ones
experience or support each other.

I'm gone.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:09 pm
CodeBorg just wrote, in part, and before he took his marbles and sulked away:

"... I have some experience with rape directly ..."

makes one think, doesn't it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:01 pm
"defensively".

Women are not the only people at risk for rape.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:08 pm
Soz, you are absolutely correct. I believe what set these responses in motion was CodeBorg's post (last one on page 1) which included:

"I'm so very tired of weak, helpless women who look at me in fear. That look in their eyes accuses me of rape, and their fear convicts me of it, regardless of how nice I am and before I ever get a chance to give her a flower or write her a poem. Capable, competent and knowledgeable women don't have this fear, and what I find in their eyes instead is love."

If you'll please take the time to read that post in its entirety, I believe you will understand.

I certainly understand that every human being (and, apparently some farm animals as well) are indeed at risk for rape.

:wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:16 pm
I think that CodeBorg chose his words rather unwisely, but I don't think he deserves to be accused of being a rapist. Forgive me if I misunderstood your implication.

I did read the whole thing. I agree with a lot of what he is getting at, though I completely reject any kind of "blame the victim" thinking, and his words came dangerously close to that.

The part I agree with is that I would prefer that women take an actual self-defense class, rather than getting freaked out by emails that have dubious information. The links I posted go into the dubiousness more. (The hairstyle thing is evidently just plain wrong, for example.) While women are undoubtedly at risk, being vaguely worried without having accurate info will only increase their risk. Being confident and armed with accurate info will decrease the risk. Decrease it down to nothing? No. There is only so much anyone can do.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 10:15 pm
I have sent CodeBorg a private message, apologizing for my harsh tone. I sincerely believe he meant well.

However, I still believe that telling women how to prevent rape is, in effect, telling the victim how to prevent the crime. It makes the victim feel responsible...which they are not.

"Safety" is merely an illusion. Unfortunately, we are all vulnerable.
0 Replies