Ronald Reagan, a moron or a genius?

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
The credit the supporters of those two clowns claim for "winning" the cold war ignore so many factors, that it is hardly worth beginning the discussion. I've tried here before, and it just shoots right over the heads of those to whom one speaks.

Gorbachev himself is more responsible than anyone else for the fall of the Berlin Wall--and the steps he took which lead inevitably to that event were taken well before Reagan took that extended photo-op.

I'd say, in the immediate timing, the decision of the Hungarians to open their border with Austria had the most significant effect in causing the collapse of the DDR.

You surprise me. You are taking an unchaeracteristically shortsighted view, and are as well ignoring several very significant facts.

The real question here is why Gorbachev took the preliminary steps and then finally ordered the GDR to take down the wall. What made him do it? After all he rose through the upper ranks of the Soviet system as Andropov's man. I agree it was not simply Reagan's speech, although it certainly did its part in bringing down the morale and standing of the Soviet Empire both within and abroad.

The massive rearmament Reagan ordered immediately after taking office did its part as well. Previously shutdown plutonium production plants were put back in full operation; we rapidly tested and deployed a new generation of modern (MIRVed) warheads and replaced aged liquid fuelled missiles with the latest designs; we increased the number of deployable Air Force Wings by 30%, added about 200 new ships to the Navy and rearmed them all with a new generation of guided weapons; we added two new Army divisions and outfitted them all with modern tanks, artillery and vehicles. We deployed Pershing missiles to Europe (despite considerable local opposition), and forward deployed all the materials required to support Marine Expiditionary forces (about 17,000 men) to Diego garcia in the Indian Ocean; Northern Norway; and Hokkaido Japan, clearly signalling our intent to respond forcefully on all fronts in the event of even a Soviet conventional attack designed to upset the political balance in an ever-timid Europe. Finally we replenished our ready reserves of weapons and significantly increased the training budgets of all the services to increase their readiness (and it DID make a big difference after the Carter years.)

All of these things were carefully observed by the Soviets, who until then had been investing heavily in achieving military dominance, but whose economy could bear no more. Later, when Reagan announced the Star wars program they had to believe that (1) he meant it, and (2) we might just do it, and (3) they could not match it.

This together with his "Evil Empire" speech in London, early in his first term, and the clarity of his rejection of compromise with a system he eloquently described as beset by internal contradictions and in decline, invigorated hopeful Poles, Hungarians, Estonians, etc and badly damaged the prized Soviet prestige in the Third World.

It was all of these things that motivated Gorbachov to force internal change on an inflexible (and as we later saw, brittle), Soviet empire. This is what brought down the wall.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:09 pm
Reagan's real legacy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:01 pm
God, thank you edgar. It gets so THICK with the bullshit adoration that man got and gets.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:17 pm
[quote="Setanta"The credit the supporters of those two clowns claim for "winning" the cold war ignore so many factors, that it is hardly worth beginning the discussion. I've tried here before, and it just shoots right over the heads of those to whom one speaks.

Gorbachev himself is more responsible than anyone else for the fall of the Berlin Wall--and the steps he took which lead inevitably to that event were taken well before Reagan took that extended photo-op.
[/quote]

Much my impression, though I'm not one to back that up with multiple screens. So, just by way of nodding.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:47 pm
Undoubtedly there were several factors that brought down the wall, but obviously Reagan deserves an important credit as being part of the formula. He was not 100% responsible, but neither was he 0% responsible.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:13 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

what a dispicable article.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:15 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:18 pm
Greatest pres ever. Love to hear the unproductive and un-American side of society tell us how awful he was. Go back under your rock.

Bush follows in his legacy. Dems hate that and will attempt to rewrite it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:20 pm
Wickipedia
This is a list of songs about former President of the United States Ronald Reagan. During the 1980s, many songs were written about Reagan, most of which reflected a negative view of him or his policies. The majority of these songs were written by hardcore punk bands, though artists from other genres also wrote some songs about Reagan. The band Reagan Youth even used their name to attack Reagan, alluding to the Hitler Youth. After his presidency, Reagan was mentioned in a few other songs by later bands, such as Rage Against the Machine and NOFX, though less so than during the 1980s.

A
"Abolish Government/ Silent Majority" by TSOL
"Agency Man" by Frank Zappa
"American/Soviets" by C.C.C.P.
"Assassination Attempt" by Demented Youth

B
"B Movie" by Gil Scott-Heron
"Bad Time For Bonzo" by The Damned
"Ballad of Ronald Reagan" by Austin Lounge Lizards
"Ballad of Ronnie Raygun" by White Trash
"Battle Hymn of Ronald Reagan" by The Fartz
"Bin Laden" by Immortal Technique
"Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" by Public Enemy
"Bleed For Me" by Dead Kennedys
"Blues For Ronald Reagan (He Took Advantage Of You)" by Glenn Frey
"Boraxo" by Malvina Reynolds
"Bullet the Blue Sky" by U2
"Bye Bye Ronnie" by MDC

C
"California Pipeline" by Murphy's Law
"Common Man" by The Blasters
"Country Gentleman" by John Mellencamp
"Cowboys From Hollywood" by Camper Van Beethoven
"Crack Music" by Kanye West

D
"Dear Mr. Reagan" by The Right Brothers
"Dear Abby" by the Dead Kennedys
"Da Doo Ron Ron" by Spitting Image
"Drugstore Truck Drivin' Man" by Joan Baez & Jeffery Shurtleff

E
"The End of the Innocence" by Don Henley and Bruce Hornsby
"Exhuming McCarthy" by R.E.M.

[edit] F
"Faith, Hope, and Treachery" by Lard
"Fighting Blindly" by Sublime
"(The) Fletcher Memorial Home" by Pink Floyd
"****, ****, I Hate Reagan" by Pagan Faith
"Fucked Up Ronnie" by D.O.A.

[edit] G
"Gone With My Wind" by Dead Kennedys
"Great Equalizer" by J.F.A.
"Guns for Nicaragua" by MDC
"Guns in the Sky" by INXS

[edit] H
"Hey Judas" by Carmaig de Forest
"Hey Ronnie" by Government Issue
"Hey Ronald Reagan" by James Kochalka Superstar
"He Took Advantage (Blues For Ronald Reagan)" by Glenn Frey
"Hinckley Had A Vision" by The Crucifucks
"Homeless" by Old Skull

[edit] I
"I Ate Ronald Reagan" by AAHHHH
"I Believe" by Not the Nine O'clock News
"I Don't Need This Pressure, Ron" by Billy Bragg
"If Reagan Played Disco" by The Minutemen
"Ignoreland" by R.E.M.
"Impeach Reagan" by A.P.P.L.E.
"I Shot Reagan" by Non Phixion
"I Shot the Devil" by Suicidal Tendencies

[edit] J
"Jody Foster's Army" by J.F.A.

[edit] L
"Living Through Another Cuba" by XTC
"Land Of Confusion" by Genesis

[edit] K
"Keppiä Ronaldille" by Rattus

[edit] M
"Minutes to Midnight" by Midnight Oil
"Modern Day Cowboy" by Tesla
"Moral Majority" by Dead Kennedys
"Moneys to tight to mention" by Simply Red
"My Brain is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes to Bitburg)" by The Ramones

[edit] N
"No Heroes, No Justice" by Pinkerton Thugs

[edit] O
"Old Mother Reagan" by Violent Femmes

[edit] P
"Peace in Our Time" by Elvis Costello
"People See Through You" by Bruce Cockburn
"The President" by Robyn Hitchcock

[edit] R
"Rajoitettu Ydinsota" by Rattus
"Rapmaster Ronnie" by Reathel Bean & The DBC
"The Reaganator" by GWAR
"Reagan at Bitburg" by Frank Zappa
"Reagan Blues" by Hasil Adkins
"Reagan Country" by Shattered Faith
"Reagan Knew" by Mucky Pup
"Reaganomics" by D.R.I.
"Reagan Shot My Rocket Down" by The Jazz Butcher
"Reagan's Dead" by Primadonnas
"Reagan's Der Fuhrer" by D.I.
"Reagan's In" by Wasted Youth
"Reagan Sucks" by NOFX
"Reagan Was A Dick" by NOFX
"Reagan Youth" by Reagan Youth
"Reagum" by Lennonburger
"Re-Ron" by Gil Scott-Heron
"Right and Wrong" by Joe Jackson
"Ronald McRaygun" by Day Glo Abortions
"Ronald Reagan" by The Nabokov Project
"Ronald Reagan" by Men's Recovery Project
"Ronnie and the Punks" by Fræbbblarnir
"Ronnie's Dead" by Direct Control
"Ronnie's Song" by LAX
"Ronnie Talk 2 Russia" by Prince
"Russians" by Sting

[edit] S
"Sun Instead of Reagan" by Joseph Beuys
"Sweethearts" by Camper Van Beethoven

[edit] T
"Talking Ronald Reagan Blues" by Loudon Wainwright III
"Tire Me" by Rage Against the Machine
"Think Again" by Dick Gaughn
"The Lunatics have taken over the Asylum" by Fun Boy 3
"The Man With Glooey Hands" by The Aquabats
"Trade War" by Van Dyke Parks
"Two Minutes To Midnight" by Iron Maiden
"Two Tribes" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

[edit] U
"The Untouchables" by Frank Zappa

[edit] W
"War Games" Vital Disorders
"(We Begin Bombing in) 5 Minutes" by Bonzo Goes to Washington
"(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang" by Heaven 17
"We've Got A Bigger Problem Now" by Dead Kennedys
"We Want the Truth" by Sick of It All
"Welcome to the Occupation" by R.E.M.
"What This Country Really Needs is Another Movie Star" by Chad Mitchell Trio
"Who's the Terrorist Now?" by MDC
"Wild, Wild West" by Escape Club

[edit] Y
"You Happy Puppet" by 10,000 Maniacs
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_Ronald_Reagan"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:24 pm
Ronald Reagan, Warmonger
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have you ever lost anyone to alzheimers?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
War is good Keeps people employed. But you woudn't understand that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:27 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Have you ever lost anyone to alzheimers?

Don't be so insensitive. He's exhibiting symptoms.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:29 pm
Like all REEL heroes, he dodged WWII just like John Wayne. We started getting street people only after the Reagan era. He slept thru most of his meetings and his boss Nancy consulted her advisor weekly for her astrological readings. Reagan did not attended church regularly and so Ronald Wilson Reagan numbers 666. He starred as a killer in the movie 'Killers' with Burt Lancaster..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:35 pm
So, all those "crazy" homeless people were Reagans fault? He believed in freedom, and gave it to them. By todays PC standards, I'm crazy-fuckin- homeless. Screw you. Get a job. Hunt something. Be part of the cycle.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:43 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Like all REEL heroes, he dodged WWII just like John Wayne. We started getting street people only after the Reagan era. He slept thru most of his meetings and his boss Nancy consulted her advisor weekly for her astrological readings. Reagan did not attended church regularly and so Ronald Wilson Reagan numbers 666. He starred as a killer in the movie 'Killers' with Burt Lancaster..

Billzeebubba atteneded church regularly, didn't seem to do him any good.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
So, all those "crazy" homeless people were Reagans fault? He believed in freedom, and gave it to them. By todays PC standards, I'm crazy-****- homeless. Screw you. Get a job. Hunt something. Be part of the cycle.

Of course. If you'll take note, there are only homeless & hungary, poor & uninsured when Repubs are in cahrge, when Dems are in charge, it's like magic, they all are fed, insured, have homes, & everything is rosy. I'm surprised you hadn't noticed that. Now while there's stll a repub in the WH & congress is controlled by dems, it'll only be half taken care of.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 01:40 am
Setanta wrote:
The credit the supporters of those two clowns claim for "winning" the cold war ignore so many factors, that it is hardly worth beginning the discussion. I've tried here before, and it just shoots right over the heads of those to whom one speaks.

I'd say, in the immediate timing, the decision of the Hungarians to open their border with Austria had the most significant effect in causing the collapse of the DDR.

This may all well be. But in 1987, when Reagan held the speech, nobody knew this would happen. In 1987, the vast majority of Germans, including myself, found the speech incredibly naive for suggesting that any of these were realistic possibilities in the short term. It 1989 it turned out we were wrong, and Reagan's assessment had been much more realisitic than ours.

That's the point on which I underestimated him. I'm not saying his speech brought down the wall or caused the collapse of the Soviet Union; I don't think it did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:55 am
Uncle Ronnie and His Contra Buddies
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 07:30 am
Thomas wrote:
Setanta wrote:

This may all well be. But in 1987, when Reagan held the speech, nobody knew this would happen. In 1987, the vast majority of Germans, including myself, found the speech incredibly naive for suggesting that any of these were realistic possibilities in the short term. It 1989 it turned out we were wrong, and Reagan's assessment had been much more realisitic than ours.

That's the point on which I underestimated him. I'm not saying his speech brought down the wall or caused the collapse of the Soviet Union; I don't think it did.

I was pointing out that inasmuch as no action of his lead to the collapse of the Marxist-Leninist version of communism as practiced in the Soviet Union and its eastern European satellites, you did not underestimate him. He was calling for something which was inevitable based on the policies of Gorbachev, but which he no more knew would occur than did you at the time.

I'm pointing out that this was a sound bite opportunity--his audience was not Gorbachev, nor the Central Committee, nor the Politburo, nor the German people. His audience was American public opinion--in that regard it was, more or less, a success. You may have underestimated him in that regard. There was, however, no good reason to assume that you had underestimated his ability to affect events in the Soviet Union--because there is no good reason to assume that the did.

If you will stretch your memory back (or check online), you will recall (or discover) that Boris Yeltsin was in bad odor in the Soviet Union. Gorbachev removed him from his position as chairman of the Central Committee of the Moscow Soviet. He was in the political wilderness. Certainly he continued to have friends, and powerful friends, in the Moscow Soviet. He undoubtedly continued to have some influence among the members of the Central Committee of the Supreme Soviet--but i doubt if he had any friends in the Politburo, if only because that would not have done any member any political good. But Gorbachev was no Stalin, and Yeltsin would survive. No one in 1987 could have predicted that Yeltsin would stand up before the armored vehicles in Moscow, nor that decorated veterans of the Great Patriotic War would have stood up with him. No one in 1987 could have predicted the failed coup attempt in 1991, nor could anyone have predicted that not only would Yeltsin and ordinary Russians stare down the tanks, but that the tanks would then have turned and fired on the Moscow White House (for those who don't know, that is what the parliament building in Moscow was called).

Reagan certainly could not have known. Neither Central Intelligence nor the National Security Agency could have predicted the rise of Yeltsin, and the collapse of the Soviet system in under five years. When Kennedy spoke in Berlin, even German teenagers could remember the Berlin airlift, as did Americans (and in case we forgot, the "Big Three" news broadcasts were prepared to run the film and remind us). For a few years, we got news reports of people killed as they tried to cross the wall, we saw news "documentaries" on tunnels under the wall, and the efforts of people to cross the wall, or to cross the frontier elsewhere. But by 1987, that was just a symbol for Americans, and 25 years after Kennedy's speech, few Americans were likely to have placed Reagan's speech in a context of day to day reality--it was all an appeal to symbolism. The reality was surely immediate and present to Germans--the reality was nugatory to Americans, and it was only the symbolism which mattered.

Perhaps you think you underestimated Reagan--but i suspect that you are, in retrospect, according to him an influence in the matter which he did not possess, and accord to him a perception of percipience to which he was not entitled.
0 Replies