blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:55 pm
So, when Scalia and Thomas finish there sweaty game of racquetball and head to the showers, are they winking inside?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:01 pm
Thomas was the one who asserted that what he does in the privacy of his own home is his own business when he was assailed during his confirmation. Hmmm...hypocrisy or what?

There is no serious argument except among regressive clerics regarding the scientific proof that has been mounting up regarding homosexuality being an anomaly of nature (one of thousands of anomalies of nature, perhaps millions -- that's how evolution occurred). All one has to do is take the time to actually read the facts.

The thread got derailed from hillary into this discussion and I think it's best left for another thread of its own. It's worthy of discussion but obviously there's going to be some strong bias on the subject. I'm not always comfortable with the aggressiveness of the gay movement but I guess it's just gotta be.

(Sorry, I was trying to get out of the gallery, talking to a client and posting at the same time -- what a mess! I got home and had to play editor!)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:12 pm
Are we all done with Hillary? Because I want to talk a little bit about her. Maureen Dowd's piece has been bothering me since I read it when williamhenry posted it yesterday, I think. And I'm mostly bothered because I don't like to disagree with Maureen. I'm almost always in agreement with her.

But in this case, I'm not. Dowd doesn't like the style of the book, she says it's something like boring, that it's political, as if written by James Carville or Dick Morris and is an obvious attempt to boost Hillary in the ratings for a possible run for president in 08. Ok, fine. I haven't read the book, although I'm not sure why Hillary shouldn't make every use of any public forum she can to further her political aspirations. I hope she does run.

It's Dowd's dichotomy of "is she a gulping-for-air victim of her husbands's affairs -- miserable" vs. "is she an unflinching partner in combating the damage of such escapades" that I find difficult. These two possibilities do not exclude each other. And they're also far from the only alternatives.

So Hillary may be a little masochistic. She has a right to enjoy this in the privacy of her own home. It's her business, I'd say. But since Kenneth Starr et al decided to make it all public, well........now it's our business too. And why not be a partner with her husband and friend of long duration in the nasty business of politics? She seems up to the task and ready to go.

Dowd's main complaint, it seems has to do with Hillary's failure to protect or stand up for Monica, as if Monica needed any help standing up for herself. If I were Monica, I'd be insulted. The real evil doer in this story is the vast right wing conspiracy. (laugh) but really, Ken Starr and his ilk are no angels.

Anyway, I think Maureen is a little harsh on this one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:14 pm
LW

If the thread originator speaks up and wishes a redirection, we can take his/her lead at that point.

I think revolutionary movements need an extreme edge. Likely, just by bell curve, they'd always have that representation anyway, but these are the folks who often make the first break throughs.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:06 pm
it's been so pleasant without the originator of the thread....please blatham let sleeping huskies lie.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:14 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
it's been so pleasant without the originator of the thread....please blatham let sleeping huskies lie.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
Bi Polar Bear....you apologize RIGHT THIS INSTANT!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:58 am
Sorry blatham....you'll have to climb on your horse, ride to N.C. and apprehend me.......squinney says please wear the long boots.... Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:11 am
They are in the shop being deshitted.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 09:18 am
Oh,my, Blatham has given his horses a laxative. At least you could have said they were being reshoed as that was TMI.

Hillary is an attorney and a politician. I don't believe like the majority of members of the Senate and Congress that she was even a very good attorney (she sure kept lousy billing records and indiscretely selected the wrong clients to further her political career Laughing )

She lost me with the national health plan although eventually the government will have to address the problem. I know in California there is some price fixing of insurance plans. I dropped out of Blue Cross because they doubled my rate recently. I went on line to select another insurance and, gee, just after I applied for a lower rate, that company raised theirs to exactly the same rate as Blue Cross. Disgusting.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:25 pm
LW,

I agree about Hillary's Health Plan.....but, as you point out, the insurance companies keep getting stronger and have more freedom to violate our civil rights with laws which supposedly protect our privacy, when in fact they open our medical records to almost anyone without notice to the patient.

Still, as regards Maureen Dowd's peice, I think Hillary deserves the same right as all of us to be as good as we are and as bad as we are without the expectation that we be gods or something. Give the woman a break about her husband and what she may or may not have known, been surprised about, lied about or whatever. We all have complicated relationships that would not be easily explainable to outsiders.

P.S. I'm not as disgruntled as I sound.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 12:54 pm
Lewinsky Ghost Writer Fellates Clinton Ghost Writer
6/23/2003 - William Grim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Washington, D.C.- Celebrity ghost writer Nancy Chadwick, who is currently assisting Monica Lewinsky in the writing of her tell-all autobiography, Washington Is Hard to Swallow, was caught yesterday by Secret Service agents while she was fellating George Broderick, who is ghost writing former President Bill Clinton's autobiography, You Can Fool Some of the People All of the Time, sources close to the Justice Department have told Broken Newz.

Bucyrus Jones, who is ghost writing former Clinton confidante Vernon Jordan's autobiography, Mac Daddy Lobbyist, denied that President Clinton's ghost writer had had an illicit sexual liaison with Mr. Clinton's ghost writer. Mr. Vernon's ghost writer did acknowledge that he tried to get Ms. Lewinsky's ghost writer a job as ghost writer for Ron Perlman, the CEO of Revlon, who is currently in the process of writing his autobiography, but that he only did it for "humanitarian purposes."

Later in the day, the ghost writers of six former Clinton mistresses all came forward to announce that they had been groped, felt up and sexually harassed by President Clinton's ghost writer as far back as the time when he was the ghost writer of the Governor of Arkansas.

Members of the Senate Ethics Committee have announced that there will be an investigation into this matter as soon as a ghost writer can be found to write the committee's report.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
McG

Now that was funny!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 01:52 pm
yes it was....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 05:00 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 05:16 pm
I agree about that Dowd column, Lola, though I'm not a big fan of Hillary's. It's not the first Dowd column lately that's made my skin crawl, admittedly. A little over the top; tacky. She tends to get launched into a single, clever metaphor or shtick, and follow it through -- sometimes successfully, sometimes not.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:05 am
LW

My god man! The boots...not the horses!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 08:52 am
B -- you're giving your boots a laxative. Now I understand. That seems to eliminate food for the sole.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
Tartarin wrote:
I agree about that Dowd column, Lola, though I'm not a big fan of Hillary's. It's not the first Dowd column lately that's made my skin crawl, admittedly. A little over the top; tacky. She tends to get launched into a single, clever metaphor or shtick, and follow it through -- sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Tartarin,

Perfect description of Dowd. She makes my skin crawl frequently.

Some day she may be worthy to hold the pen of a real columnist like Molly Ivins or Joe Conason.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 09:37 am
I remember my first impression of the outcome of "women's lib" when I came back to this country after a long absence was that many of the self-declared liberated were not liberated precisely because their idea of "liberation" was to adopt the behavior of the self-limiting male teenage bully. ("Go forth young women and become your younger brothers!") Empathy and independence were apparently out of reach.

Dowd comes across in the same way when she's not at her best, as though she's trying to out-Coulter Coulter, who is the consummate monorchid teen-in-bondage smartass.
0 Replies