Iron in the Blood

gollum

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:47 am
When I give blood, the Blood Center representative tells me the iron level in my blood.

How do I find out whether that level is unhealthy or if so how to address the problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 671 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:50 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_iron_metabolism

Everything you wanted to know about iron and the human body is probably addressed at that webpage.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 08:54 am
I have read that high iron levels can be dangerous, but claim no expertise, and so will not attempt to describe what i have read (and that was more than ten years ago, anyway).

This site details what are claimed to be the dangers of high iron levels in the blood.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 09:16 am
High iron levels are long-term troubling.

Low iron levels--anemia--are immediately distressing and inconvenient. Tired, tired, tired--and cranky to boot.

Iron provides the vehicle for red blood cells to transport oxygen. Anemia is interior strangulation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 09:21 am
Butrflynet wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_iron_metabolism

Everything you wanted to know about iron and the human body is probably addressed at that webpage.

If one goes to Wikipedia and looks for ferritin, the name of the protein structure which carries iron in the blood stream, one gets a little more information than the "everything you wanted to know" found in the other article.

According to that Wikipedia article, the normal range results of a cardiology iron blood level test:

Normal blood levels:

Male: 12-300ng/mL
Female: 12-150ng/mL
Cost: $US 85
How to lower/raise: avoid or eat foods rich in iron: eggs, liver, red meat, soy products

source: Beyond Cholesterol, Julius Torelli MD, 2005 ISBN 0-312-34863-0 p.84
0 Replies