You've Got to Be Kidding....

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:10 am
....$45 for a stinkin' maternity tee shirt?

Why are maternity clothes so damn expensive! You wear them for such a short time, it isn't like you can wear them after the baby is born (well, maybe for a little while but still....) Why should I pay $85 for a pair of jeans that I can wear for only 6-8 months!

I haven't bought anything yet but I started looking so I could assess what kind of second job I'd need to get a partial maternity wardrobe. At this rate, it looks like I will be owning 1 pair of pants and maybe a tee shirt. Rolling Eyes

Maybe the stores around here are just expensive. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Old Navy is cheap but I don't really like any thing they have. I might be learning to like it.

What a spoiler.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,072 • Replies: 32
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:19 am
They're expensive because they're so stylish.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:24 am
Bella

Quality re-sale/consignment shops can be great for maternity clothes. After all, most weren't worn for long and if someone else spent the big bucks for quality then you get a real bargain.

If you're planning on more than one child I wouldn't necessarily spend a fortune on maternity wear unless you can guarantee (and who can?) that you'll need the same season's clothing for each one! I worked through a winter pregnancy (corduroy jumpers and flannel shirts) and chased a 2 year old through a summer pregnancy (cotton T's and overalls). Luckily I had a shopaholic SIL who lent me tons of stuff.

Sounds like you're having fun already.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:28 am
If it makes you feel any better, any friends I have that were pregnant bought very little clothes, and just made due.

One friend was really happy she found these pants that could be adjusted as the pregnancy went along.

Another bought a couple of pregnancy tops and then just wore shirts over them, opened up, like a jacket.

I've seen really expensive business clothes, but in the real world, I don't think anyone expects you to change your wardrobe significantly for just a few months.

What about 2nd hand stores? If not for work cloths, for the hanging around on the weekend/night stuff?
Any friends that can loan you a couple of tops?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:31 am
Tai Chi,

I googled and found a place by me called "Slightly Pregnant". It's a resale shop in a nice area so there are probably lots of good things there (those rich folks and their designer clothes! :wink: ) Also, I found a store called "Once Upon a Child" that sells "gently used" baby clothes. Again, in a nice part of town so the clothes are probably designer.

I think I will have to check them out.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:32 am
Yes, they have you trapped. Go to the women's section and look at size 1X-2X, especially T-shirts. These sizes are made for wider women, but will fit a regualr pregnant one. I also agree with Tai to check out second hand shops. You could also check Target, they seem to keep things stylish at lower prices.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:33 am
Chai Tea wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, any friends I have that were pregnant bought very little clothes, and just made due.

One friend was really happy she found these pants that could be adjusted as the pregnancy went along.

Another bought a couple of pregnancy tops and then just wore shirts over them, opened up, like a jacket.

I've seen really expensive business clothes, but in the real world, I don't think anyone expects you to change your wardrobe significantly for just a few months.

What about 2nd hand stores? If not for work cloths, for the hanging around on the weekend/night stuff?
Any friends that can loan you a couple of tops?

Well, I need pants. That's a given. Many of my tops just won't fit over a belly.

Unfortunatly, my now pregnant friend is way smaller than me. My recently pregnant friend is bigger than me. Neither would have workable clothes to use.

I am definetly going to check into the resale thing. If I had the money, maybe I wouldn't be complaining about the prices. But since I don't, I can complain and whine all I want about how unfair it is.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:49 am
Yeah, Once Upon a Child is a chain that often has good stuff, though it really varies by location. Try to find one in a tony area.

Target has some very nice stuff for good prices, including designer clothes (A Pea in the Pod, etc... APITP is SUPER expensive).

There was one store that had new maternity clothes that were way more reasonable than everywhere else, Motherhood Maternity. It wasn't fabulously fashionable but I got the basics there (Jeans, khakis, a couple of t-shirts, a couple of button-down shirts) and then added stuff from resale and since I was still working after I really started showing a few expensive pieces to look professional (a really nice jacket, etc.)

www.motherhoodmaternity.com

Old Navy and Gap didn't have maternity lines when I was pregnant (just missed it), so don't know how they compare to the rest of it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:49 am
Bella, you might have to consider a second job anyway when you figure a baby adds about $500 to the monthly budget. Years ago I worked for a center that counseled young girls about pregnancy and I was surprised how much money it cost to keep a baby in diapers and basics. You might want to start a little baby fund now as a financial cushion for all the stuff you might need when the little one arrives.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:50 am
Oops wrong url, sorry, it's www.motherhood.com
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
A selection of Motherhood Maternity tees, way cheaper than $45.

And absolutely second Green Witch's advice to start with a financial cushion if you haven't already.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:58 am
I hear ya, I'd be bitchin' too.

If I may segway for one moment, a comment about green witches post re: 1X and 2X...

I think that's a superb idea for you to try Bella, I'd bet they will fit around your belly quite well, and here's why....

Over the years, I've gotten larger, but the proportions of my figure have stayed the same. I like clothes that are not tight, but "hug the curves" so you can see a persons got a shape.

If I walk into most stores, and try on a pullover knit top that's an X-L, it's slightly too tight across the back and/or chest, and hips, but fits the waist fine. In other words, doesn't fit.

Logic would tell you I just need to try on the same thing in a 1X....
yeah, right....

For some reason, it's assumed once you've crossed that line between XL and 1X, you've completely lost your figure, have no waist, and your sides have overnight widened by several inches.

If I put the same pullover on in a 1X, there's no definition between bust, waist and hips. Plus the chest and hips are now TOO loose! They are a little longer, which is fine, but with no waist, it just makes you look like a moose. What's really frustrating is you look at yourself and think "Ok, I could loose 5-10 lbs and fit into the ExL, or I can let myself go and fit into this....which would be easier"? Laughing
(Jeez I can't wait for my rower to arrive)

You said you found a store called "slightly pregnant", they need to have a store called "slightly 1X"

Anyway, that's why I think that would be something for you to check out.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 09:00 am
I think my first post got buried. Sizes like 1x are made for wider women. They are usually narrow in the shoulders, but wider in the boobs and belly.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 09:02 am
No, it didn't get buried, that's what I was talking about....

big boobs, big belly.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 09:05 am
I didn't see your post Chai - and when I did and went back to edit the hamsters told me "no".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 09:08 am
I tried that (larger sizes), didn't work. Maternity clothes fit MUCH better. Was just a matter of finding the affordable ones (which exist). And women's sizes tend to be pricey too, another piece of rant-material...)

Worth a try though, depends on the person's body and what it does when pregnant I think. I was wearing ~ size 8 when I got pregnant and was mostly just belly, would swim in any of the large sizes. Also depends on taste there -- I was still working and wanted a tailored, professional look (no tents).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 09:17 am
Green Witch wrote:
I didn't see your post Chai - and when I did and went back to edit the hamsters told me "no".

stupid hamsters.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 10:17 am
Oh yes! Agree with Sozobe - maternity clothing fits muuuch better.

Bella Dea - where you can shop for maternity clothes will also depend on your body type. I'm petite, can only find clothes that fit at places like banana republic petites or ann taylor loft petites. I had a REAL hard time finding maternity clothes that fit. Then I found Motherhood Maternity, and was soooooooooooo relieved. Dropped a nice sized wad in their retail store. Soonafter found their outlet store with FAB prices - and would highly recommend them. Nice, wearable clothes that fit right.

I just didn't/don't have the body structure for the Gap/Old Navy maternity lines. (And yes, did admire the clothes at Pea in a Pod - nose pressed firmly again the window glass.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 10:23 am
Anyone try Ebay for maternity clothing?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 10:51 am
Pea in the Pod is ridiculously expensive. $280 for a pair of jeans??? Do they think that pregnant women have lost their minds?

GW, this pregnancy was planned so we have things worked out financially. I was just being silly saying I needed a second job to buy maternity clothes, considering how damn expensive they are. However, on that same note, babies are expensive and dropping $300-$400 on maternity clothes seems stupid to me when I could use that for something much better; like diapers, formula, etc....
0 Replies