Keith Ellison: Newly Elected Congressman

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:15 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
The "thou shalt not kill" controversy is nothing.

Try to find two Christians who agree on what "Love your neighbor" means.

Nothing? Why do you say that?
Love your neighbor, of course, but what happens if the neighbor tries to murder you?

good question. philosophically speaking, doesn't jesus instruct that we should turn the other cheek ? blessed are the meek ?

That is taken out of context, Jesus certainly didn't mean that we should stand still & allow someone to murder us. Jesus slapped some tax collectors aroiund in the temple.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:21 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Homosexuality is not the sin. According to The Bible fornication is the sin.
http://bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id+152

There are many Christians who are going to disagree with you on that LSM.

Here's one of MA/AM's favorite sources:

Quote:
Question: "What does the Bible say about homosexuality? Is homosexuality a sin?"

Answer: The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When a person continues in sin and disbelief, the Bible tells us that God "gives them over" to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual "offenders" will not inherit the kingdom of God.

God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that a person becomes a homosexual because of sin (Romans 1:24-27), and ultimately because of their own choice. Gee - we haven't read from GotQuestions in ages

What the hell is wrong with me!?!?!?!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:31 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Jesus certainly didn't mean that we should stand still & allow someone to murder us.

doesn't sound like a great idea to me either. Laughing

at least not in a worldly way. but, don't the teachings of christ have a primary focus on the spiritual and how what we do here determines what happens after death ?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:33 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
JPB wrote:
I found this interesting...

Quote:
In the United States, a controversy has persisted for many years regarding the placement of the "Ten Commandments" in public schools and public buildings. But one critical question seems to have escaped most of the public dialog on the subject: Whose "Ten Commandments" should we post?

The general perception in this country is that the "Ten Commandments" are part of the common religious heritage of Judaism, Catholicism and Protestantism, part of the sacred scriptures that we all share, and should not be controversial. But most people involved in the debate seem to have missed the fact that these three religions divide up the commandments in different ways! Judaism, unlike Catholicism and Protestantism, considers "I am the L-rd, your G-d" to be the first "commandment." Catholicism, unlike Judaism and Protestantism, considers coveting property to be separate from coveting a spouse. Protestantism, unlike Judaism and Catholicism, considers the prohibition against idolatry to be separate from the prohibition against worshipping other gods. No two religions agree on a single list. So whose list should we post?

And once we decide on a list, what translation should we post? Should Judaism's sixth declaration be rendered as "Thou shalt not kill" as in the popular KJV translation, or as "Thou shalt not murder," which is a bit closer to the connotations of the original Hebrew though still not entirely accurate? Source

I would have no qualms about anybodys Ten Commandemnts, so long as they are not any satanic commandemnts.

This is a pluralistic, secular democracy. Satanists have as much right to publicly proclaim their beliefs as you do.

Why do conservatives hate the first amendment?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:34 pm
I also seem to recall that Ol' Hey-Zeus said to turn the other cheek, and that those who live by the sword shall die by the sword.

There sure is an awful lot of revisionism among them there "real" christians . . .
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:45 pm
JPB wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Homosexuality is not the sin. According to The Bible fornication is the sin.
http://bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id+152

There are many Christians who are going to disagree with you on that LSM.

Here's one of MA/AM's favorite sources:

Quote:
Question: "What does the Bible say about homosexuality? Is homosexuality a sin?"

Answer: The Bible consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Romans 1:26-27 teaches specifically that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When a person continues in sin and disbelief, the Bible tells us that God "gives them over" to even more wicked and depraved sin in order to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that homosexual "offenders" will not inherit the kingdom of God.

God does not create a person with homosexual desires. The Bible tells us that a person becomes a homosexual because of sin (Romans 1:24-27), and ultimately because of their own choice. Gee - we haven't read from GotQuestions in ages

What the hell is wrong with me!?!?!?!

People that disagree with me aren't high on my list of things to worry about.
The homosexual act is fornication & IMO, is a sin, however, no more so than Suzie & Johnny doing their thing.
At one time I too believed that God would not create a homosexual, but, then I heard & read about chimirism, there's some wild cases in that particular malady. I will say that I believe that homosexuality is abnormal, just as any sort of birth defect is. I don't mean that in a pejorative way, just a fact of life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:48 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I will say that I believe that homosexuality is abnormal, just as any sort of birth defect is. I don't mean that in a pejorative way, just a fact of life.

Generally, and in this case, specifically, facts and beliefs are not the same thing.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:51 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Jesus certainly didn't mean that we should stand still & allow someone to murder us.

doesn't sound like a great idea to me either. Laughing

at least not in a worldly way. but, don't the teachings of christ have a primary focus on the spiritual and how what we do here determines what happens after death ?

Again, i can only speak for myself, I believe that I have to live as close to God/Jesus teachings as I can possibly do. I don't believe that a building (church) will get me to Heaven, my salvation isn't predicated on my language, except I will not ise Gods name in a curse, my thoughts. deeds, & words (mean) can & will effect my soul & Gods judgement of my soul. I need to get out of bed ever morning & pray for guidance cause I sure fall short every day & in many ways. It's all I can do to take care of my soul, the best i can do for anybody else is pray.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:53 pm
ehBeth wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I will say that I believe that homosexuality is abnormal, just as any sort of birth defect is. I don't mean that in a pejorative way, just a fact of life.

Generally, and in this case, specifically, facts and beliefs are not the same thing.

Nor did I say they were, that's why I say I believe. I
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:57 pm
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
JPB wrote:
I found this interesting...

Quote:
In the United States, a controversy has persisted for many years regarding the placement of the "Ten Commandments" in public schools and public buildings. But one critical question seems to have escaped most of the public dialog on the subject: Whose "Ten Commandments" should we post?

The general perception in this country is that the "Ten Commandments" are part of the common religious heritage of Judaism, Catholicism and Protestantism, part of the sacred scriptures that we all share, and should not be controversial. But most people involved in the debate seem to have missed the fact that these three religions divide up the commandments in different ways! Judaism, unlike Catholicism and Protestantism, considers "I am the L-rd, your G-d" to be the first "commandment." Catholicism, unlike Judaism and Protestantism, considers coveting property to be separate from coveting a spouse. Protestantism, unlike Judaism and Catholicism, considers the prohibition against idolatry to be separate from the prohibition against worshipping other gods. No two religions agree on a single list. So whose list should we post?

And once we decide on a list, what translation should we post? Should Judaism's sixth declaration be rendered as "Thou shalt not kill" as in the popular KJV translation, or as "Thou shalt not murder," which is a bit closer to the connotations of the original Hebrew though still not entirely accurate? Source

I would have no qualms about anybodys Ten Commandemnts, so long as they are not any satanic commandemnts.

This is a pluralistic, secular democracy. Satanists have as much right to publicly proclaim their beliefs as you do.

Why do conservatives hate the first amendment?

I didn't say that satanists don't have the right, I said that I would have aproblem with it. Just as some have a problem with Christianity.
0 Replies