Keith Ellison: Newly Elected Congressman

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:48 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Actually they do, but i will take the "Thou shalt not murder"
Murder is a legal term, different than kill. We have a right to protect ourselves, if that means killing another human in order to do that, so be it. Murder is wanton killing, no excuse.

None of those passages represent the teachings of Jesus.

and it seems to be a fairly recent development that the commandement became "thou shall not murder", rather than "thou shall not kill".

and here's something else that i've wondered about. how does "praying to jesus" work when the first few commandments read;

Exodus 20:

2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

i know that christian doctorine explains it, but that is the writings of man.

and if the ten commandments are the true words of god, and he says essentially, "don't go around praying to anybody but me.."

well, doesn't that kinda leave christians playing on the wrong team ?

just wonderin' 'bout that...

"Thou shalt not murder is the original commandemnt" "Shall not kill" is the newer one.
I can't speak for all Christians but I believe in The Divine Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, all three one & the same, I pray to one God. Jesus is The Father, God came to earth in human form as Jesus.
I don't profess to know all the answers, I go strictly on faith & that, while not be good enough for some, it sustains me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:54 pm
Faith, i'm sure, is a good thing which is why I avoid black cats and walking under ladders.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:58 pm
Something tells me we'll be hearing from momma soon.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:58 pm
It always brings me pleasure to here the Christians expose their biases and prejudices...you know, biases and prejudices that are inherently incongruent with the Christian teachings they claim to hold so dearly.

We have one here who claims that Muslim leaders should speak out against Islamic extremists. This is the same one who will not, at the same time, concur that Christian leaders should also speak out against Christian extremists.

The "logic", if can be so named, is that those who commit crimes under the auspices of Christianity are "not real Christians", as though those who commit crimes in the name of Islam are being real Muslims.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 01:59 pm
JPB wrote:
Something tells me we'll be hearing from momma soon.

Somehow I would find that a welcome intrusion.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:01 pm
Quote:
The United States Constitution: Article VI, Debts, Supremacy, Oaths - Section 3
All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Now, in the 1st place, no laying of hands on any tome is any part of the official Congressional swearing-in ceremony, and in the 2nd place, neither governmental endorsement nor governmental condemnation of any particular religion is permissable under the US Constitution.

Whatchya got here with Ellison's instant celebrity really is a non-issue, a manufactured flap-without-foundation. Its the meatworld equivalent of an internet flame war; Ellision cast the bait, a rightwingnut commentator rose to it, and the media joined the blogosphere in a feeding frenzy - both oblivious to the fact no food was to be had. Just one more proof that idiocy knows no ideology. Ridiculous is as ridiculous does - if the shoe is uncomfortable, where's the sense in insisting upon jamming one's foot into it as well as one's mouth?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:03 pm
Religion, ones beliefs or lack of, are one of the most personal matters there is. While I don't agree or understand a lot about others religious beliefs, I would never ridicule them for their belief, that includes athiests & agnostics. I ask questions because I am interested, not to argue that belief.
I think it's really a disservice to ridicule ones religious beliefs as it is to ridicule one for not having a faith in a higher being, a life after death. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:09 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Quote:
The United States Constitution: Article VI, Debts, Supremacy, Oaths - Section 3
All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Now, in the 1st place, no laying of hands on any tome is any part of the official Congressional swearing-in ceremony, and in the 2nd place, neither governmental endorsement nor governmental condemnation of any particular religion is permissable under the US Constitution.

Whatchya got here with Ellison's instant celebrity really is a non-issue, a manufactured flap-without-foundation. Its the meatworld equivalent of an internet flame war; Ellision cast the bait, a rightwingnut commentator rose to it, and the media joined the blogosphere in a feeding frenzy - both oblivious to the fact no food was to be had. Just one more proof that idiocy knows no ideology. Ridiculous is as ridiculous does - if the shoe is uncomfortable, where's the sense in insisting upon jamming one's foot into it as well as one's mouth?

I'm sorry, where did that come from. This thread isn't about Ellison as one person,I asked about his praying in connection with his duties. That answer was given, a very good answer. Nobody is saying anything about the Constitutionality of anything.
Also, to whom were you addressing with the rediculous manner comment.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:11 pm
[quote="LoneStarMadam" Just my opinion.[/quote] And a fine opinion it is however, we on the other side would prefer you keep your opinions to yourself and not consistently try to enforce them on the rest of our american society.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:13 pm
dyslexia wrote:
[quote="LoneStarMadam" Just my opinion.
And a fine opinion it is however, we on the other side would prefer you keep your opinions to yourself and not consistently try to enforce them on the rest of our american society.[/quote]
How is it that I'm trying to force my beliefs? I was asked a question, I answered, maybe not the way you'd like, but as I said, my opinion
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:14 pm
Has LSM advocated a theocracy?

<Rolls up sleeves, gets ready to put on the gloves>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:15 pm
dyslexia wrote:
[quote="LoneStarMadam" Just my opinion.
And a fine opinion it is however, we on the other side would prefer you keep your opinions to yourself and not consistently try to enforce them on the rest of our american society.[/quote]

Haven't seen her do that. Merely posting on an internet forum where unbelieving predators feel the need to attack anyone with different opinions. Hardly trying to enforce anything on anyone.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:16 pm
JPB wrote:
Has LSM advocated a theocracy?

<Rolls>

I don't think I did, & I don't know how anybody could force another person to believe something. I thought the human mind could stave off anything that it found objectionable. Guess I was wrong.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Where that came from was the devolution of this conversation from a discussion of a particular religion's impact on a particular politician - a particular politician brought to celebrity soley by virtue of his religion - into a discussion of the politics of religion.

As for anyone's choice of shoe, that's anyone's individual choice.
0 Replies

JPB

Yeah, I haven't seen it either, but I've only been reading her posts for the last couple days. Nothing recently has tripped my 'duke it out' radar.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

and if the ten commandments are the true words of god, and he says essentially, "don't go around praying to anybody but me.."

Learn to tell the difference between the old testament and the new testament and how each plays with Christianity. If you can't at least do that, stop trying to bash a religion you don't seem to know anything about.

damn, yer mean today... Very Happy since when is asking a question for discussion, on a discussion site, bashing anything? jeezzzzz...

i know the difference between the two. and i suspect that cyclo, who by the way actually offered something as opposed to being a snarkster, is on the right direction.

so, mcg, perhaps you can reconcile this for me; you being the authority and all..

"how do christians reconcile the worship of jesus, against direct word from god to not do so". and with the interjecting of the trinity, which is nowhere to be found in the ten commandments" ?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:22 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Where that came from was the devolution of this conversation from a discussion of a particular religion's impact on a particular politician - a particular politician brought to celebrity soley by virtue of his religion - into a discussion of the politics of religion.

As for anyone's choice of shoe, that's anyone's individual choice.

& the rediculous manner comment?
Yes, this thread did dissolve into a discussion on religion, a civil discussion, with a few gnarly exceptions. Most threads dissolve into something else, as has been poited out to me, & this one, by me, again, as was poited out.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:23 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Learn to tell the difference between the old testament and the new testament and how each plays with Christianity. If you can't at least do that, stop trying to bash a religion you don't seem to know anything about.

damn, yer mean today... Very Happy since when is asking a question for discussion, on a discussion site, bashing anything? jeezzzzz...

i know the difference between the two. and i suspect that cyclo, who by the way actually offered something as opposed to being a snarkster, is on the right direction.

so, mcg, perhaps you can reconcile this for me; you being the authority and all..

"how do christians reconcile the worship of jesus, against direct word from god to not do so". and with the interjecting of the trinity, which is nowhere to be found in the ten commandments" ?

Christianity, notice the word "Christ" in it, is based on the belief Jesus was the son of God, the Messiah spoken of in the Old testament. Many different sects of Christianity exist with all having different beliefs. they reconcile it through the teachings in the New testament and base their beliefs on the what is taught there.

Judaism does not believe Jesus was the Messiah and they, therefore, are not Christians and would have different beliefs then Christians. Surely you can understand that. It's the belief that Christ is the son of God that makes them Christians.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:23 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

"Thou shalt not murder is the original commandemnt" "Shall not kill" is the newer one.
I can't speak for all Christians but I believe in The Divine Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, all three one & the same, I pray to one God. Jesus is The Father, God came to earth in human form as Jesus.
I don't profess to know all the answers, I go strictly on faith & that, while not be good enough for some, it sustains me.

okay, fair enuff.

when did the "old commandment" get replaced by the "newer one"? the bibles that i've always had read "shall not kill".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:25 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I don't think I did, & I don't know how anybody could force another person to believe something. I thought the human mind could stave off anything that it found objectionable. Guess I was wrong.

LSM, I think at first you reminded folks of Possum, now you're triggering MA/AM bells. We had many a mighty battle with both and you represent a close enough facsimile to each of them that the nuances of your own positions are getting lost.
0 Replies