Keith Ellison: Newly Elected Congressman

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:26 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
when did the "old commandment" get replaced by the "newer one"? the bibles that i've always had read "shall not kill".

DTOM, I think that is still in the KJV of the bible. The newer versions, such as the NRSV use 'murder'.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:27 pm
"Shall not murder" is found in the Pentateuch, the Jewish Holy Book. The Old Testament is a rendition of the Pentateuch.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i know that christian doctorine explains it, but that is the writings of man.

and if the ten commandments are the true words of god, and he says essentially, "don't go around praying to anybody but me.."

well, doesn't that kinda leave christians playing on the wrong team ?

just wonderin' 'bout that...

Learn to tell the difference between the old testament and the new testament and how each plays with Christianity. If you can't at least do that, stop trying to bash a religion you don't seem to know anything about.

damn, yer mean today... Very Happy since when is asking a question for discussion, on a discussion site, bashing anything? jeezzzzz...

i know the difference between the two. and i suspect that cyclo, who by the way actually offered something as opposed to being a snarkster, is on the right direction.

so, mcg, perhaps you can reconcile this for me; you being the authority and all..

"how do christians reconcile the worship of jesus, against direct word from god to not do so". and with the interjecting of the trinity, which is nowhere to be found in the ten commandments" ?

Christianity, notice the word "Christ" in it, is based on the belief Jesus was the son of God, the Messiah spoken of in the Old testament. Many different sects of Christianity exist with all having different beliefs. they reconcile it through the teachings in the New testament and base their beliefs on the what is taught there.

Judaism does not believe Jesus was the Messiah and they, therefore, are not Christians and would have different beliefs then Christians. Surely you can understand that. It's the belief that Christ is the son of God that makes them Christians.

Interestingly enough, you don't have to follow any of the rules that he laid out or emulate his life in any fashion; it's enough to believe that he was actually the son of god, and boom, you're in the club. Right?

Also interestingly enough, if the New Testament and Jesus' teachings essentially repudiate the 'old contract' between god and man, then why is Leviticus the most-often used justification for Homophobia? Why do the Ten Commandments still matter at all?

Answer: Because Hypocrisy knows no Religious barrier!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:28 pm
Wouldn't it be best to use a modern translation - but of the most recently discovered materials.

Seems odd to be working off of old translations of materials that have been superceded.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:34 pm
I found this interesting...

Quote:
In the United States, a controversy has persisted for many years regarding the placement of the "Ten Commandments" in public schools and public buildings. But one critical question seems to have escaped most of the public dialog on the subject: Whose "Ten Commandments" should we post?

The general perception in this country is that the "Ten Commandments" are part of the common religious heritage of Judaism, Catholicism and Protestantism, part of the sacred scriptures that we all share, and should not be controversial. But most people involved in the debate seem to have missed the fact that these three religions divide up the commandments in different ways! Judaism, unlike Catholicism and Protestantism, considers "I am the L-rd, your G-d" to be the first "commandment." Catholicism, unlike Judaism and Protestantism, considers coveting property to be separate from coveting a spouse. Protestantism, unlike Judaism and Catholicism, considers the prohibition against idolatry to be separate from the prohibition against worshipping other gods. No two religions agree on a single list. So whose list should we post?

And once we decide on a list, what translation should we post? Should Judaism's sixth declaration be rendered as "Thou shalt not kill" as in the popular KJV translation, or as "Thou shalt not murder," which is a bit closer to the connotations of the original Hebrew though still not entirely accurate? Source
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:36 pm
JPB wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I don't think I did, & I don't know how anybody could force another person to believe something. I thought the human mind could stave off anything that it found objectionable. Guess I was wrong.

LSM, I think at first you reminded folks of Possum, now you're triggering MA/AM bells. We had many a mighty battle with both and you represent a close enough facsimile to each of them that the nuances of your own positions are getting lost.

I apparently reminded them of a meggatto, or something like that, & a few other either former posters, or maybe some still here, I don't know. However, I am me, one person, not three or four & certainly not split personality syndrome.
I disagree a bit about the nuances of my posts getting lost. I have been as mild mannered & unargumentative as I know how on this thread, & the nuances seem to still be lost. Laughing
I mean keep your opinions to yourself, we don't want them here or words to that effect, then rediculous manner, what is that?
What kind of political forum wants just people that all agree? I do come on strong, I fully believe what i say, when & if I am proven wrong, then I admit & apologize, it is very difficult to apologize to a person that has just called you a liar or worse.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:38 pm
JPB wrote:

Quote:
In the United States, a controversy has persisted for many years regarding the placement of the "Ten Commandments" in public schools and public buildings. But one critical question seems to have escaped most of the public dialog on the subject: Whose "Ten Commandments" should we post?

The general perception in this country is that the "Ten Commandments" are part of the common religious heritage of Judaism, Catholicism and Protestantism, part of the sacred scriptures that we all share, and should not be controversial. But most people involved in the debate seem to have missed the fact that these three religions divide up the commandments in different ways! Judaism, unlike Catholicism and Protestantism, considers "I am the L-rd, your G-d" to be the first "commandment." Catholicism, unlike Judaism and Protestantism, considers coveting property to be separate from coveting a spouse. Protestantism, unlike Judaism and Catholicism, considers the prohibition against idolatry to be separate from the prohibition against worshipping other gods. No two religions agree on a single list. So whose list should we post?

And once we decide on a list, what translation should we post? Should Judaism's sixth declaration be rendered as "Thou shalt not kill" as in the popular KJV translation, or as "Thou shalt not murder," which is a bit closer to the connotations of the original Hebrew though still not entirely accurate? Source

You say tomayto
And I say tomahto
You say potayto
And I say potahto............

Ah, let's just call the whole thing off....
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
JPB wrote:

Quote:

I would have no qualms about anybodys Ten Commandemnts, so long as they are not any satanic commandemnts.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:40 pm
40000 dlowan.
Should be a Guru in no time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:43 pm
candidone1 wrote:
40000 dlowan.
Should be a Guru in no time.

ooooh, shouldn't there be a cake?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:44 pm
The "thou shalt not kill" controversy is nothing.

Try to find two Christians who agree on what "Love your neighbor" means.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:45 pm
McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
"how do christians reconcile the worship of jesus, against direct word from god to not do so". and with the interjecting of the trinity, which is nowhere to be found in the ten commandments" ?

Christianity, notice the word "Christ" in it, is based on the belief Jesus was the son of God, the Messiah spoken of in the Old testament. Many different sects of Christianity exist with all having different beliefs. they reconcile it through the teachings in the New testament and base their beliefs on the what is taught there.

Judaism does not believe Jesus was the Messiah and they, therefore, are not Christians and would have different beliefs then Christians. Surely you can understand that. It's the belief that Christ is the son of God that makes them Christians.

see that's the thing. as i understand it, and i'm only really getting back into researching early christianity, is that jesus was not originally viewed as the son of god, but rather as a teacher, rabbi and/or a prophet. as i understand it, that is still the view of the eastern orthodox church.

i've read that jesus entered into an orthodox hebrew community called the nasors. one of the things about the nasors was that they would cast off their former life, wealth, families ( a spiritual death) and be risen, or reborn into a new life in the community. not sure, but i think it also said that he brought james into the same community.

now the other thing that comes to mind is that the "virgin birth of a king" also shows up in earlier religions such as that of egypt and the greek gods. not sure, but i've heard that similar stories exist in early south american religions. as do the flood legend.

so you see, what i'm getting at is that if the ten commandments are the true laws of god, there's a direct problem with the worship of jesus, because there is no direction from god that the messiah should be worshipped. only that he will come to lead in the worship of god and to do his work.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:48 pm
Maybe someone in the religion forum can help you. You should bring it up there.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i know that christian doctorine explains it, but that is the writings of man.

and if the ten commandments are the true words of god, and he says essentially, "don't go around praying to anybody but me.."

well, doesn't that kinda leave christians playing on the wrong team ?

just wonderin' 'bout that...

Learn to tell the difference between the old testament and the new testament and how each plays with Christianity. If you can't at least do that, stop trying to bash a religion you don't seem to know anything about.

damn, yer mean today... Very Happy since when is asking a question for discussion, on a discussion site, bashing anything? jeezzzzz...

i know the difference between the two. and i suspect that cyclo, who by the way actually offered something as opposed to being a snarkster, is on the right direction.

so, mcg, perhaps you can reconcile this for me; you being the authority and all..

Interestingly enough, you don't have to follow any of the rules that he laid out or emulate his life in any fashion; it's enough to believe that he was actually the son of god, and boom, you're in the club. Right?

Also interestingly enough, if the New Testament and Jesus' teachings essentially repudiate the 'old contract' between god and man, then why is Leviticus the most-often used justification for Homophobia? Why do the Ten Commandments still matter at all?

Answer: Because Hypocrisy knows no Religious barrier!

Cycloptichorn

Homosexuality is not the sin. According to The Bible fornication is the sin.
http://bible.com/bibleanswers_result.php?id+152
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:05 pm
So then why aren't Christians trying to make it illegal for fornicators to marry?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:08 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

Nothing? Why do you say that?
Love your neighbor, of course, but what happens if the neighbor tries to murder you?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe someone in the religion forum can help you. You should bring it up there.

that would have been okay in the good ol' days. but the fact that religion has been dragged into nearly all things political over the last 20 years make it perfectly food grist for the mill here too.

if people want to insist that i pledge allegiance to "a god" when i want to pledge allegiance to my country's flag, isn't it sensible to know which god and what that god represents?

same thing goes when prager insists that ellison be shown holding a bible. i saw prager the other day justfying his opinion. went something like;

"the usa was founded on christian values. not religious values, but christian values. and for ellison to use a quran would tear down american tradition because we've always used a bible.. from the time of washington. it's not because he's muslim.." the transcript is probably available on tucker carlson's msnbc page...

huh??

supposedly several jewish politicians have used the torah over the last few years (wasserman shultz of florida is the one that keeps being mentioned)with no hoopla.

so why is it different for ellison ?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:09 pm
Turn the other cheek?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:12 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Nothing? Why do you say that?
Love your neighbor, of course, but what happens if the neighbor tries to murder you?

good question. philosophically speaking, doesn't jesus instruct that we should turn the other cheek ? blessed are the meek ?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:13 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
So then why aren't Christians trying to make it illegal for fornicators to marry?

I don't get your meaning. I think some Christians are trying to stop gay marriages, I guess that's what you're talking about. I believe that some gays don't wish to be married either, some straights are in that group too. I will tell you before you assume anything here, I don't have a problem with legal civil unions between whoever. However, once that door is opened, then you should be ready to accept marriages/civil unions between other groups that it is now illegal for them to wed.
0 Replies