Keith Ellison: Newly Elected Congressman

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 10:25 pm
I have a question. How will he pray 5 times a day while voting? Are there certain times of the day that muslims pray? Do they always bow down on a rug while praying? What if the house has a quoram call & he's praying?
I'm not being facecious, I am really interested & hope somebody here knows the answers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,122 • Replies: 109
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 11:54 pm
This wikipedia page has loads of info on the Islam prayer rituals known as Salat and how they are conducted when not near a mosque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salah

Salah times look as if they coincide with working hours and meal breaks.

Excerpts:

Quote:
Muslims are commanded to perform salat fives times a day. These prayers are obligatory on every Muslim above the age of puberty, with the exception being those who are mentally ill, too physically ill for it to be possible, menstruating, or experiencing post-partum bleeding. Those who are ill or otherwise physically unable to offer their prayers in the traditional form are permitted to offer their prayers while sitting or laying, as they are able.

Quote:
The obligatory prayers that were missed during any time has to be repeated at later time. Only the Fardh (obligatory prayers) are to be repeated. Nafil or Sunnah salah does not need to be repeated.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 12:04 am
Thanks, interesting. I will read the link too. Not that i would ever leave my own faith but it would be nice to learn something about Islam.
I watched an interesting show the other night where this Chriatian from WVa went to dearborn, Mi to live with a Muslim family for 30 days. the rules were that the Christian had to follow Muslim traditions, eat what they ate, go to the mosque, etc. At the end of 30 days he had a deep regard for the family he lived with & their faith. He remained a Christian, but no longer believes that all Muslims are terrorists or nuts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:38 am
Most aren't. Most just want to go about there daily business and be left alone, just like everyone else. Islam, as a religion, has some very good ideals and has a lot to offer its practitioners. It's the zealot extremists that give Islam the black eye it has.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:51 am
The same could be said for any religion, McG.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 10:27 am
McGentrix wrote:
Most aren't. Most just want to go about there daily business and be left alone, just like everyone else. Islam, as a religion, has some very good ideals and has a lot to offer its practitioners. It's the zealot extremists that give Islam the black eye it has.

I agree, but I wish that more leaders of Islam would speak out against the radical elements of that religion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:02 am
That's about as likely as it is that Christian leaders are going to speak out against Christian radicals.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:09 am
Islam is also highly decentralized and so "leaders" are more or less whoever you can grab who says they represent some muslims.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:20 am
That's a very good point, FD. The actual leaders of any Muslim community are the ulama. An alim is a righteous man, and the ulama (the plural of alim) are the members of any given community who will decide to follow the dictates of any particular Imam or Mullah. If the members of a Muslim community feel marginalized, or exploited by the West, or that they are being murdered by the West, the likelihood that they will listen to an Imam who preaches that the West is the "Great Satan" is very high.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:21 am
Setanta wrote:
That's about as likely as it is that Christian leaders are going to speak out against Christian radicals.

I believe that if "christians" had driven planes into the WTC & killed 3,000 people, we would've heard plenty from the REAL Christians.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:28 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I believe that if "christians" had driven planes into the WTC & killed 3,000 people, we would've heard plenty from the REAL Christians.

The people of Croatia speak virtually the same language as the Serbs, but they write it with the Roman alphabet, and they are Catholic. The Serbs, however, use the Cyrillic alphabet, and they are Orthodox. The Serbs have long thought that was a good reason that they should dominate the Balkans, and they have killed thousands of Slovenes and Croats because they are Catholic, and thousands more Bosnians and Kosovars because they are Muslims. They killed 8000 Bosnians alone in the single incident in Srebrenica during the last Balkan War. I don't recall a great Christian outcry about these murders by Christians. The Catholics and the Protestants of Ireland have slaughtered one another for centuries, off and on, but you don't hear universal condemnation of those actions by Christians.

I rather suspect that none of this rises above your news horizon, and that you only complain about what happens to Americans, and to hell with the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:28 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Really?

Christians drop bombs on innocent people in Iraq - in the name of what they believe is right.

And you don't hear too much from REAL Christians about that.

The teachings of Jesus, and War, are incompatible; you cannot support both.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:46 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Really?

Christians drop bombs on innocent people in Iraq - in the name of what they believe is right.

Cycloptichorn

Exodus 20:13, 21:12, 21:15, 22:19
Leviticus 20:11
Romans 3:10-18
I have no idea how you would know that Christians are dropping bombs on innocent people in Iraq but if they are Christians or not, they are within their moral right to do so. "The military breaks things & kills people" That's a sad truth.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 11:57 am
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

The people of Croatia speak virtually the same language as the Serbs, but they write it with the Roman alphabet, and they are Catholic. The Serbs, however, use the Cyrillic alphabet, and they are Orthodox. The Serbs have long thought that was a good reason that they should dominate the Balkans, and they have killed thousands of Slovenes and Croats because they are Catholic, and thousands more Bosnians and Kosovars because they are Muslims. They killed 8000 Bosnians alone in the single incident in Srebrenica during the last Balkan War. I don't recall a great Christian outcry about these murders by Christians. The Catholics and the Protestants of Ireland have slaughtered one another for centuries, off and on, but you don't hear universal condemnation of those actions by Christians.

I rather suspect that none of this rises above your news horizon, and that you only complain about what happens to Americans, and to hell with the rest of the world.

& we bombed them for 30 days, or maybe those weren't Christians that did the bombing, who knows? <shruges>
Admittedly I do care more about Americans, which IMO, should not be surprising since I am an American
You would be wrong in assuming that I don't care about the rest of the world, but that is your perogative to believe as you will. It has no bearing on my life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 12:04 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

& we bombed them for 30 days, or maybe those weren't Christians that did the bombing, who knows? <shruges>

You misspelled shrug. We did not attack the Bosnian Serbs who perpetrated the Srebrenica massacre. That massacre took place in 1995. We did not bomb Serbia itself until 1999, and that was in response to their actions in Kosovo, not Bosnia. As usual, you don't let things like facts get in the way of your rant.

But you are still wrong, because bombing someone, and loud condemnation of murderous Christians by Christian leaders are not the same thing.

As i pointed out earlier, when the Bosnia Serbs killed more than 8,000 men and boys at Srebrenica, there was no outcry by Christian leaders (other than the Pope, whom the rightwingnut Christians claim is not a Christian).
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 12:05 pm
<shrugs>
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 12:07 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Really?

Cycloptichorn

Exodus 20:13, 21:12, 21:15, 22:19
Leviticus 20:11
Romans 3:10-18
I have no idea how you would know that Christians are dropping bombs on innocent people in Iraq but if they are Christians or not, they are within their moral right to do so. "The military breaks things & kills people" That's a sad truth.

How do you figure?

Leviticus 20:11 - And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 3:10-18 -

10As it is written:
"There is no one righteous, not even one;
11there is no one who understands,
no one who seeks God.
12All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one."[a]
13"Their throats are open graves;
their tongues practice deceit."
"The poison of vipers is on their lips."[c]
14"Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness."[d]
15"Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16ruin and misery mark their ways,
17and the way of peace they do not know."[e]
18"There is no fear of God before their eyes."

Exodus 20:13 - 'Thou Shall not Murder'

etc. on the Exodus

None of the passages you quote actually support your opinion that Christian US Soldiers are justified in the killing of innocent Iraqi civilians. None of what you've posted adresses the concept that you cannot support the teachings of Jesus Christ and be a War supporter at the same time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 12:11 pm
Why is it so hard to believe that people can be soldiers AND have a religion? One of the nice things about America is that most people are not led by their religion and they do not prioritize their lives around their religion. Those that do, tend to go on to be priests, missionaries, etc.

Christians can be soldiers and soldiers can be Christians. Same for any other religion. It's a stupid premise to think they can't be.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 12:13 pm
Actually they do, but i will take the "Thou shalt not murder"
Murder is a legal term, different than kill. We have a right to protect ourselves, if that means killing another human in order to do that, so be it. Murder is wanton killing, no excuse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 12:13 pm
One does assume that you have more expertise in stupid premises than anyone else around here.

I see no one here who has said that soldiers cannot be Christians. It was asserted that Muslim leaders should condemn fanatical Muslims. I simply pointed out that you don't see Christian leaders commonly condemn fanatical Christians.

Tell us another one of your stupid premises, k?
0 Replies