Multiple choice for passive voice

yucheng

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 03:23 am
I have a sentence like this:

Pharmacy is a profession, a business, and a science.

And a question:

Is pharmacy a profession, a business, and a science?

Should I answer : 'Yes, it is' or 'Yes. It is a profession, a business, and a business'
0 Replies

my really me

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 01:13 pm
Grammatically both are ok. But the latter is redundant unless u'd like to underscore the role of pharmacy.

@JTT: You said "to be off to a good start". Can u give me an explanation? Is this something as " failure is mother of success"?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 07:49 pm
my really me wrote:

@JTT: You said "to be off to a good start". Can u give me an explanation? Is this something as " failure is mother of success"?

ORIGINAL:
They all seem good, Yucheng. You should be off to a good start.

Hi MRM,

It means that Yucheng, with the collocations he/she chose, will probably have success with his/her new pen pal.
0 Replies

my really me

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:17 pm
uhm, it's better now. Thank u very much JTT.
I also send to Yucheng my sincere apology for appropriating her thread for pleasing my whim (oops, sounds like an anachronistic charlatan, huh Cool ). No offense, I just want to show off the pompous SAT words I've just learned.
0 Replies

cdieoxide

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:37 am
choice 'A' is perfectly right........according to grammatical rules to make passive voice as it is necessary to change the subject into object and 'by' is used before the object in passive voice. And only transitive verb can be changed into passive, not intransitive.For example..........'Ahmad killed a snake' will be changed into......"A snake was killed by Ahmad." In ist sentence 'Ahmad' is the subject and 'snake' is the object. When making passive voice subject 'Ahmad' will changed into object and object 'snake' will be chnaged into subject and 'by' will be used before it.
I can not understand what exactly was your teacher trying to teach you.
0 Replies