Multiple choice for passive voice

yucheng

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 02:17 am
Hello!

I have a quiz like this

Active: They have changed the date of the meeting
Passive: _________
A. The date of the meeting has been changed by them.
B. The date of the meeting has been changed.
C. The meeting has been changed the date.
D. The date of the meeting has changed.
And the answer is B

My question is that Is B answer right? How about A answer? Is this quiz allright?

Thanks for your consideration.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,380 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 02:56 am
The correct answer is A. B is close, but it doesn't include the original subject ("they," which becomes "them" converted to the passive voice) of the sample sentence.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 05:12 pm
I'm not certain what you are trying to accomplish. Can you tell us more?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 09:09 pm
Re: Multiple choice for passive voice
yucheng wrote:
Hello!

I have a quiz like this

And the answer is B

My question is that Is B answer right? How about A answer? Is this quiz allright?

Thanks for your consideration.

A major reason for using the passive is because the 'actor' is unimportant. While using a "by them" isn't impossible, it sure is unnatural.
B. is the best answer in terms of natural usage.
If the teacher is trying to have
0 Replies

yucheng

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:29 pm
Thank you so much, JTT
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:17 pm
I agree. The date of the meeting has been changed is correct. In this case, the only important information is the change of the date.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:20 pm
As far as conveying information goes, I agree that the "by them" is unnecessary. But in the context of a grammar quiz, if the question is asking you to convert the sentence from the active voice to the passive voice, you need the "by them" to show that what was the subject in the active sentence is now in the predicate of the passive sentence. By leaving out the "by them," you are definitely improving the sentence but not quite converting the original from active to passive (in effect, you're altering the original).

Wordpower.ws has a good explanation of the passive voice.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 07:33 pm
Shapeless wrote:
As far as conveying information goes, I agree that the "by them" is unnecessary. But in the context of a grammar quiz, if the question is asking you to convert the sentence from the active voice to the passive voice, you need the "by them" to show that what was the subject in the active sentence is now in the predicate of the passive sentence. By leaving out the "by them," you are definitely improving the sentence but not quite converting the original from active to passive (in effect, you're altering the original).

It's not a good idea to have ESLs do pointless unnatural grammar transformations, Shapeless. If the teacher wants to design something wherein it's natural to use the actor, then that would be a good thing.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:17 pm
Yes, I agree. Passive to active makes sense. Active to passive, not so much. I suppose it's a way of teaching the students the difference between the two, but there may be better ways to do it. It makes me wonder about the exact nature of Yucheng's assignment.
0 Replies

yucheng

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 07:56 am
My assignment is to choose the best passive sentence for the active above
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 04:08 pm
yucheng wrote:
My assignment is to choose the best passive sentence for the active above

'best' is a bad description for 'best' has different meanings depending on the situation.

Sentence B would be the normal neutral. Sentence A would be used when someone wanted to emphatically state who did it and the referent for 'them' was known by the people in the conversation. As a normal neutral, it is not 'best'.

And the answer is B

A big NO to sentence C.

Sentence D is fine and it's very natural but it isn't a passive form.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 01:38 pm
B is the best answer: It is the least awkward.
0 Replies

yucheng

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 04:43 am
I have three sentences
1st: Without my teacher's help, I couldn't have overcome the difficulty.
2nd: Without the help of my teacher, I couldn't have overcome the difficulty.
3rd: Without the helping of my teacher, I couldn't have overcome the difficulty.
My question is that which underlined part in three sentences is correct or all of them are ok?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:57 am
Number three is absolutely not American English and is awkward and unpleasant to read or listen to. Both one and two are correct but I prefer two.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 01:54 pm
?? 3rd: Without the helping of my teacher, I couldn't have overcome the difficulty. ??

As POM said, # 3 is unnatural. Might it not be because the noun form in English doesn't contain that meaning?

With some changes in word order, and a switch to 'helping' as a verb, it's okay.

3rd revised: Without my teacher helping me, I couldn't have overcome the difficulty.
0 Replies

yucheng

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 11:54 pm
Thanks so much. I got it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 05:39 pm
JTT -- "Without the helping of my teacher . . ." sounds like the teacher's dinner was added to the writer's rations. However, the use of a synonym, which makes the sentence, "Without the aid of my teacher . . ." is just fine.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 07:16 pm
plainoldme wrote:
JTT -- "Without the helping of my teacher . . ." sounds like the teacher's dinner was added to the writer's rations.

We're in full agreement on that, POM.

However, the use of a synonym, which makes the sentence, "Without the aid of my teacher . . ." is just fine.

Excellent addition. I hope Yucheng gets a chance to see it.
0 Replies

yucheng

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:30 am
I have just received a letter in which a person would like to be my pen friend.
So How can I answer in my reply?
Can I write
"Thank you very much for your letter. I would like to be your pen friend" or "Thank you very much for your letter. I am very happy to be your pen friend"
What do you think about my opening in the letter?
Thanks
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:08 pm
yucheng wrote:
I have just received a letter in which a person would like to be my pen friend.
So How can I answer in my reply?
Can I write
"Thank you very much for your letter. I would like to be your pen friend" or "Thank you very much for your letter. I am very happy to be your pen friend"
What do you think about my opening in the letter?
Thanks

They all seem good, Yucheng. You should be off to a good start.

Is this person a native speaker and if so, they likely know that you're an ESL, so don't worry too much. Ask them to point out anything unnatural and trt to copy some of the idiomatic phrses they use.

Good luck.
0 Replies