Dangers of one person representing Democrats

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 05:53 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Sure, if that's how you look at it, why not. That doesn't alleviate the fact that Nancy has not condemmed NAMBLA.

Which in turn does not alleviate the fact that Bush has not condemned Turkmenbashi.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:06 pm
Since your use of English is generally very good, OE, i thought i would point out to you that that it is awkward and inappropriate to use the verb "to alleviate" in such a manner. That is an example of very poor English usage. A simple look at the definition of "to alleviate" will show that it is not appropriate in such a statement.

In fact, simplicity being the soul of elegance, the verb "to alter" is more appropriate in such a context, as:

That does not alter the fact that the Shrub has not condemned Turkmenbashi.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
Since your use of English is generally very good, OE, i thought i would point out to you that that it is awkward and inappropriate to use the verb "to alleviate" in such a manner. That is an example of very poor English usage. A simple look at the definition of "to alleviate" will show that it is not appropriate in such a statement.

In fact, simplicity being the soul of elegance, the verb "to alter" is more appropriate in such a context, as:

That does not alter the fact that the Shrub has not condemned Turkmenbashi.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I guess I could have known. Alas, I'm working today (Sunday!!) in the middle of the night (!!!) to meet this frikkin' deadline tomorrow.....

Isn't it interesting that some people call deadlines "deadlines", and other people call them "milestones"? I'm the "deadline" kind of person.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:18 pm
I've not heard that use of "milestone"--i think that is an example of newspeak which i prefer not to encounter. God help us.

At an Irish website which i frequent, a few years ago, one of the long-term members posted a three page memorandum that some techy types had sent to management in their company as they (the techies) contemplated new programming and the testing thereof. She solicited opinions.

Most people either could make little to no sense of it, or couldn't be bothered to wade through it. I condensed all three pages to: "This is what we intend to do, but it will take some time, and will be difficult. Don't expect the impossible, and be prepared for the failure of the effort. Even if we fail to make this work, we believe that the programming problem can be solved; if not in this manner, then in some other fashion." Ellie said, basically: "Yeah, but why did they need three pages to say that?" I replied: "Job security."
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:32 pm
That sounds eerily familiar! With this current project, I have the pleasure of finding one of those things in my inbox every now and then! Gosh! Who do these people think I am? Somebody who reads manuals?

The advantage is that you can talk about these whaddamicallits without actually having to read them. In meetings, you can just sit there, and nod knowingly, and then point out some "general problems" that nobody has thought of so far. Ha!

And right now I get to harrass this other poor guy who thought he would have the weekend off. Now he's sitting in his hotel room, 500 miles away, working on his laptop. And I can see his online status!

Oh brave new world!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 06:40 pm
Settle down, Miranda . . .
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 07:03 pm
Hey, speaking of Turkmenistan and good ol' William: let me make the leap from him to Aldous and consequentially to George.... This here is more than two years old, but there's a bit of information there that I wasn't aware of:

Quote:
[...]last November [...] Turkmenbashi's motorcade was fired upon by a group of dissidents. Turkmenbashi escaped unharmed, but the same can't be said of the dissidents.

"Turkmenistan's most wanted terrorists were planning a political coup against me, because we supposedly ban people's rights. That's ridiculous," says Turkmenbashi.

The plot failed, but Turkmenbashi used the opportunity to arrest his former foreign minister, along with hundreds of others for their alleged roles in the plot.

Among them was a U.S. citizen, a Soviet-born American businessman named Leonid Komarovsky, who had the misfortune of being friends with one of the coup plotters. With the help of the U.S. ambassador, Komarovsky was eventually freed - but only after five harsh months of Turkmenbashi hospitality.

What did they do to him?

"Beating, first of all. Of course, beating," says Komarovsky. "They beat me with big stick, like baseball."

But there was more than just beatings. Komaravsky says he was also drugged and forced to read a statement: "I said I was with these people who made this very bad act. And there are bandits and terrorists and they must be in prison."

According to human rights groups, all the alleged coup plotters were forced to make similar forced confessions. They were all broadcast, Turkmenbashi style, on a three-story-high screen before the parliament as a warning to Turkmenbashi's enemies.

"All the coup plotters accepted responsibility, and we don't need any other evidence. We don't have innocent people in jail in Turkmenistan," says Turkmenbashi.

source

Isn't that really amazing? The bit with the public confessions, I mean? This guy must be sleeping on his copy of 1984, right? I mean, wow!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 07:49 pm
I wonder if any of them had a cage of starving rats attached to their heads.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:26 pm
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Sure, if that's how you look at it, why not. That doesn't alleviate the fact that Nancy has not condemmed NAMBLA.

Which in turn does not alleviate the fact that Bush has not condemned Turkmenbashi.

Ok, who said he hasn't & what does that have to do with Nancy Pelosi not condemming NAMBLA?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:35 pm
To alleviae your angst, it's ok, I understand that some here aren't allowed to have their own opinion, it's a herd mentality.
~giggles~
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:37 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Ok, who said he hasn't

Well, if Bush has condemned Turkmenbashi, you will certainly be able to provide a link, right? Evidence of one, only one occasion where he condemned Turkmenbashi would be sufficient.

Tell you what: you can't. Because he hasn't. In reality, he supports Turkmenbashi.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:52 pm
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Ok, who said he hasn't

Well, if Bush has condemned Turkmenbashi, you will certainly be able to provide a link, right? Evidence of one, only one occasion where he condemned Turkmenbashi would be sufficient.

Tell you what: you can't. Because he hasn't. In reality, he supports Turkmenbashi.

What??? What in the hell are you muttering about,I never said he did condem Turkmenbashi.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 08:53 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
What??? What in the hell are you muttering about,I never said he did condem Turkmenbashi.

Good. Then you agree that he supports Turkmenbashi. I'm glad we agree on that.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:11 pm
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Good. Then you agree that he supports Turkmenbashi. I'm glad we agree on that.

SInce this thread is about Democrats....are you saying that Bush is a Democrat?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:16 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Nope, I'm saying that Bush is a Turkmenbashi-supporter. Actually, I think you're a Turkmenbashi-supporter, too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:24 pm
old europe is just... sooooo great. :-)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:33 pm
<grins shyly>
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:36 pm
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Nope, I'm saying that Bush is a Turkmenbashi-supporter. Actually, I think you're a Turkmenbashi-supporter, too.

Can't get an argument from me so you resort to blathering?
What's-s-matter, got your panties in a twist?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 09:48 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Well, you will acknowledge that I've answered all your posts.

And we were in agreement that Bush has never ever condemned Turkmenbashi, and the only logical conclusion can be that he is a Turkmenbashi-supporter.

I have further voiced my opinion that you are very likely a Turkmenbashi-supporter as well. Since you answered with the statement that I "can't get an argument" from you instead of condemning Turkmenbashi right away, my opinion is confirmed.

The only thing I don't understand is why all you people would want to support somebody like Turkmenbashi. I mean, really!? Are you so impressed by the Ruhnama, or what's the deal? Why all this affection for somebody like him?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2006 10:29 pm
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
old europe wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

Well, you will acknowledge that I've answered all your posts.

And we were in agreement that Bush has never ever condemned Turkmenbashi, and the only logical conclusion can be that he is a Turkmenbashi-supporter.

I have further voiced my opinion that you are very likely a Turkmenbashi-supporter as well. Since you answered with the statement that I "can't get an argument" from you instead of condemning Turkmenbashi right away, my opinion is confirmed.

The only thing I don't understand is why all you people would want to support somebody like Turkmenbashi. I mean, really!? Are you so impressed by the Ruhnama, or what's the deal? Why all this affection for somebody like him?

Answered? lol, with your own accusations.
When did you stop supporting NAMBLA?
0 Replies