I am doubting my faith - need guidance/advice.

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:28 am
timberlandko wrote:

With champions given to the manner of presentation you so far have employed, the proposition you forward has little cause to complain of external enemies.

My word do you talk poo. Dressing up your words doesn't make your argument any more convincing.

And I couldn't care less what your view is on what you think you know about me! Very Happy

your favorite word 'Straw man' can be used to describe your entire argument

You have no evidence, just theory.

Come talk when you find out where DNA came from
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:30 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Abid wrote:
duce wrote:
Quote:
does that mean he can create something too heavy for him to lift. i

It's amazing how people try to narrowly define God.

Too heavy is a term that exists because of GRAVITY. God is not subject to gravity any more than to time. We have a hard time grasping the concept of GOD. One reason is we want to "be in charge of our own destinty". Higher Being, Higher Power, Almighty God, does not live in this world nor is He subject to its laws. We do and one day we will live in another world, we do not get to chose to "sit out" just where to sit (if you will).

I agree TOTALLY!!!
Very Happy

I hate to break this to you two, but the metaphore of making rocks too big to lift has nothing to do with rocks and gravity and lifting. It has to do with the logical viability of omnipotence as a concept.

The truth is we have no idea to the possibilities or capabilities of what God can do.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:33 am
Eorl wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Please, I am doing this out of concern for all of you. Believe your Creator, He only wants to lead you towards prosperity and to forgive you into becoming among the companions of Heaven. While Satan deludes you and tries to lead you into joining him in Hell. Who do you trust?

How do we know it is not you who works for Satan? How many atheist suicide bombers do you know of? Murder would not seem to be the will of a benevolent god, and yet he commands you to murder atheists in his name?

Raul, are you Sunni, Shi'ite, or something else again? Which of these is satan leading astray?

How many atheist murderers and rapists do you know?
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:36 am
timberlandko wrote:
So the Shi'ite are deluded, doomed, heretical apostates, then, and in that they oppose the Sunni regarding matters of faith and campaign actively in furtherence of the primacy of their interpretation of what rightfully and righteously is Islam over yours, are suitable for killing, right?

You obviously didn't read the post properly.

Try again
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:57 am
Abid wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Abid wrote:
duce wrote:
Quote:
does that mean he can create something too heavy for him to lift. i

It's amazing how people try to narrowly define God.

Too heavy is a term that exists because of GRAVITY. God is not subject to gravity any more than to time. We have a hard time grasping the concept of GOD. One reason is we want to "be in charge of our own destinty". Higher Being, Higher Power, Almighty God, does not live in this world nor is He subject to its laws. We do and one day we will live in another world, we do not get to chose to "sit out" just where to sit (if you will).

I agree TOTALLY!!!
Very Happy

I hate to break this to you two, but the metaphore of making rocks too big to lift has nothing to do with rocks and gravity and lifting. It has to do with the logical viability of omnipotence as a concept.

The truth is we have no idea to the possibilities or capabilities of what God can do.

And yet the paradox remains. It's an indication that what we conceive of as omnipotence can not exist in reality.

Even a God can not do ANYTHING, and still have the ability to limit itself. We don't have to understand a God's limits to know which combinations are impossible.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:19 am
rosborne979 wrote:

And yet the paradox remains. It's an indication that what we conceive of as omnipotence can not exist in reality.

Even a God can not do ANYTHING, and still have the ability to limit itself. We don't have to understand a God's limits to know which combinations are impossible.
The contradiction of God's omnipotence and his omniscience has been pointed out before.

If God is omniscient he must alread know how he is going to intervene to chang ethe course of history using his omnipotence. But that means he cant change his mind about his intervention, which means he is not omnipotent.

Karen Owens has captured this witty little paradox in equally engaging verse:

Can omniscient God, who
Knows the future, find
The omnipotence to
Change His future mind?

(Thanks to Prof Richard Dawkins for above)
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:29 am
What about:

He could but he doesnt?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:45 am
Abid wrote:
What about:

He could but he doesnt?
Or he doesnt because he cant?
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:05 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Abid wrote:
What about:

He could but he doesnt?
Or he doesnt because he cant?

He cant if he wants?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:52 pm
Abid wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

With champions given to the manner of presentation you so far have employed, the proposition you forward has little cause to complain of external enemies.

My word do you talk poo. Dressing up your words doesn't make your argument any more convincing.

"My Argument" is that you present no valid argument. Demonstrate that to be not the case.

Quote:
And I couldn't care less what your view is on what you think you know about me! Very Happy

Try to imagine the depth and breadth of my indifference.

Quote:
your favorite word 'Straw man' can be used to describe your entire argument

1) Demonstrate any argument I have characterized as a Strw Man be not so.

2) Demonstrate that any argument I have presented constitutes a Straw Man.

Quote:
You have no evidence, just theory.

1) Nonsense - I, and many others, have presented in this and related discussions on these boards considerable evidence, as well as accepted, valid scientific theory.

2) You've provided no evidence whatsoever, but merely claim of authority, declaration of faith, and parroting of scripture.

3) Moreover, the manner by which you pose the particular specious objection here immediately at discussion unambiguously betrays profound ignorance of science, philosophy, and forensics on your part.

Quote:
Come talk when you find out where DNA came from

Non sequitur - totally irrellevant. However, since you ask, here's a post discussing the current leading hypothesis:
[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1787763#1787763]timber[/url] wrote:
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, which are stable as hell, are observable throughout the universe, from examples occurring naturally and through human intervention right here on earth, to comet dust, to the spectra of distant stars. They tend to form ordered, plate-like stacks of themselves, and in UV-irradiated aqueous solution have an affinity for amino acids, which stick to the stacks of plates. As they accrete, the space between these PAH layers is 0.34 billionths of a meter, which just happens to be precisely the distance between the ladder-like rungs of a DNA or RNA molecule. Given amino acids and long-chain polymers, protocellular membrane formation is no big deal, thats what Lipids, particularly Amphiphilic Lipids, are all about. As a simple, abiotic replicative mechanism, first at the molecular level, then, through accretion and chemical interaction, into ever more and more complex and diverse protobiotic compounds, that this phenomenon would be a logical precursor for the development both of RNA/DNA and prokaryotes is a notion which is a helluva strong candidate.

PAH's are stable as hell, and form stacks, which in the protobiotic environment of earth tend to attract amino acids, which like to make lipds. Lipids form membranes. Then there's that 0.34 billionths of a meter deal going on there ... lots more there to think about than "poof-goes-the-imaginary-freind" ... provided, of course, one is given to thinking, not to protesting pointlessly, mindlessly parroting, fervently preaching, and incessantly proselytizing.

Should one wish a proposition to be not considered absurd and invalid, that one would do well to not present and defend that proposition in absurd and invalid manner. Your interactions to this point in this discussion benefit neither yourself nor your proposition, rather, you persist in the errors, fallacies, and absurdities pointed out to you, thus validating the criticisms laid to your proposition and the manner whereby you present and defend that proposition.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:38 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
The contradiction of God's omnipotence and his omniscience has been pointed out before.

I know. But it apparently needed to be pointed out again.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:41 pm
Abid wrote:
What about:

He could but he doesnt?

Cop out.

(just ignores the logic of the basic argument)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 10:34 pm
Abid wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Please, I am doing this out of concern for all of you. Believe your Creator, He only wants to lead you towards prosperity and to forgive you into becoming among the companions of Heaven. While Satan deludes you and tries to lead you into joining him in Hell. Who do you trust?

How do we know it is not you who works for Satan? How many atheist suicide bombers do you know of? Murder would not seem to be the will of a benevolent god, and yet he commands you to murder atheists in his name?

Raul, are you Sunni, Shi'ite, or something else again? Which of these is satan leading astray?

How many atheist murderers and rapists do you know?

For the sake of atheism? None. You appear to have missed the point.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 06:24 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Abid wrote:
What about:

He could but he doesnt?

Cop out.

Indeed which is why I posted an equally fatuous comment that he doesnt because he cant.

Another issue I'd like to take up is this whole question of religious belief and morality. How many times do religious people point the finger at Stalin or Hitler and blame their wickedness on their supposed atheism? (Actually Stalin trained for the priest hood an took confession- in absolute secrecy - as late as the 1950s. Hitler was an altar boy, which I think says a lot about altar boys).

The pious believer continues with this line of argument, saying its only belief in God watching over us and fear of punishment that keeps us on the straight and narrow. To which one can ask the question

"So if there was no God, you are the sort of person who would go around murdering people?"

The believer cannot answer no to this question without conceding that morality is not dependent on the existence of God.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:21 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Abid wrote:
What about:

He could but he doesnt?

Cop out.

Indeed which is why I posted an equally fatuous comment that he doesnt because he cant.

Another issue I'd like to take up is this whole question of religious belief and morality. How many times do religious people point the finger at Stalin or Hitler and blame their wickedness on their supposed atheism? (Actually Stalin trained for the priest hood an took confession- in absolute secrecy - as late as the 1950s. Hitler was an altar boy, which I think says a lot about altar boys).

The pious believer continues with this line of argument, saying its only belief in God watching over us and fear of punishment that keeps us on the straight and narrow. To which one can ask the question

"So if there was no God, you are the sort of person who would go around murdering people?"

The believer cannot answer no to this question without conceding that morality is not dependent on the existence of God.

Are you sure that there are those who do not do certain bad deeds out of fear of punishment?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:55 pm
Abid wrote:
Are you sure that there are those who do not do certain bad deeds out of fear of punishment?

Straw man, irrelevant, and non sequitur. Evidently, you would have us believe you really aren't very good at this. If such in fact is your intent, your aim has been well achieved.
0 Replies

Stevo2

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:11 pm
timberlandko ... you crack me up. I really enjoy reading your posts. Struth, over 21,000! There should be instructions at the commencement of all A2K topics on the rules of argument and logic. One click will take people to a set of instructions. Or maybe people will need to do a quick multiple choice test before registration. Probably won't work. Anyway, arguing with religious bigots is unsatisfying. It's like, here we go again. I suppose people arguing the religious case don't have a lot to work with, hence the intellectual dishonesty and closed mind mentality. If you were brought up that way, it is very hard to think otherwise. Dawkins says in his latest book that religious education of children is a form of brain-washing. I've got to get my hands of a copy of the God Delusion before I go back to work. It's a shame that so many people in this world need others to make decisions for them. One of the funniest websites to visit is called Ask The Imam. People ask the most inane questions on what you and I call getting on in life. You should go there and have a laugh. And whatever happened to rockpie?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:17 am
Steve 41oo wrote:

Abid wrote:

I dont know. They might indeed fear Gods wrath.

Or they might fear more earthly punishment.

Personally I think all overtly religious people are stupid hipocrites and potential criminals who claim to be law abiding out of "fearing the Lord", but in fact only fear getting caught...which they probably would be, being stupid.

There was a theoretical physicist...who's name escapes me...who said:

"If there was no religion, good people would still do good things, and bad people would still do bad things, but it takes religion to make a good person do bad".
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 10:35 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
There was a theoretical physicist...who's name escapes me...

Steven Weinburg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 11:52 am
Thanks Timber

I was hoping the link would confirm my correct memory of his quote. but it took so long to download with the photo etc that I gave up...
0 Replies