I am doubting my faith - need guidance/advice.

Bartikus

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:42 am
jake123 wrote:
Thank you mismi.

I know you meant no ill-will. I am happy that you have found peace and comfort in God. I actually envy it.

I don't know how to explain. But I have not felt comfort in faith. There are those who claim to feel the "Holy Spirit" in them. But I have often, sometimes desperately, prayed for the Holy Spirit to be in me, I have felt only numbness and cold.

When I am ready, truly ready, perhaps I will find peace.

Now, I think I'll just go and look at the home improvement department or something where I will not stir up a ruckus. I really don't intend to, but given the subject matter I've been dealing with it is only logical many people with differing views are going to weigh in.

I assure you your not alone and I have felt that numbness. I'm not sure if that is comforting at all but, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 11:01 am
Rockpie, I am glad you are doubting your faith. Doubt is the first step towards salvation.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 02:41 pm
Intellectual integrity requires doubt. Any attempt to achieve the certainty of absolute belief is an attempt to give up one's very freedom of thought and openness to the possible lessons of experience.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 03:15 pm
JLN-

Atheistic materialist philosophy does not accept "freedom of thought". To them it is all a conditioned reflex operating on physico-chemical structures and reactions. Thoughts are physical objects in the body they say. There is no such thing as mind. If they weren't physical objects they would have to be immaterial things and then soul arises and once that happens the possibility of its continued life comes up.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2007 07:33 pm
Soul and spirit have only metaphorical meanings for me.
And while "mind" is a function of brain (no thoughts without an operating brain), "brain" is the function of mind (an idea or experience of an "object" it calls brain).
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2007 03:27 pm
Re: I am doubting my faith - need guidance/advice.
rockpie wrote:
one thought has caused me to doubt everything that i currently live for.

if God can do anything, does that mean he can create something too heavy for him to lift. if he's all powerful then he can do it, but if he does it he can't lift it... and if he doesn't do it, he can't... argh!

any answers/ideas/advice on what i do to either overcome this or approach a new way of life?

Yes he could create something to heavy for him to lift.
And he did.
Those who don't believe in God, he is unable to lift them out of their unbelief without taking away their freedom of choice.

There is no problem there, your thinking in weight, why not think in faith or unfaith.

Now as far as the weight thing, why would he create something he can't lift ?
First of he wouldn't because he would be unable to lift it. And even though he could create something he could not lift and could just make himself then afterwards strong or big enough to life the impossible weight and be able to pick it and toss it around like a pebble. But what is the whole point of continuing to tax creation like that created the one, then God becomes stronger in response then created another unmovable something and God responds by becoming stronger again. What's the point in that why waste the time, but then again maybe God before he created the universe did just this kept creating the impossible to lift weight till he saw that it was foolish to keep doing so.
0 Replies