I am doubting my faith - need guidance/advice.

rockpie

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 06:39 am
one thought has caused me to doubt everything that i currently live for.

if God can do anything, does that mean he can create something too heavy for him to lift. if he's all powerful then he can do it, but if he does it he can't lift it... and if he doesn't do it, he can't... argh!

any answers/ideas/advice on what i do to either overcome this or approach a new way of life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 18,117 • Replies: 325
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:04 am
rockpie- Hallelulah! You are beginning to THINK. You are a very young person caught up in religion..............and you fell for it, hook, line and sinker. Being a bright young person, you are starting to question, and as you question, the illogic and inconsistencies begin to appear. The more that they appear, the more that you question. And that is good.

Civilization, over the millenia, have attempted to make sense of what exactly is our place in the universe. For many, when they did not understand, they ascribed the wonders of the universe to a god, or gods, or even goddesses. Whether the religion is a contemporary one, or an ancient cult, the motivation is the same.................to understand the world that we live in, and make some sense out of our existence.

For ancient peoples, who understood little, the world was frightening, and there were forces "out there" that controlled the world. As an extension, these forces supposedly had an influence on human beings. As a result these ancient peoples had to placate these gods, as not to do so, in their way of thinking, would cause harm to befall them. So began the phenomenon of worship.

This same sort of mindset permeates today's religion. Believe in ____________, and you will be "saved", whatever the hell that means.

There is no doubt that religion was a major force in the development of civilization. It was a means by which groups of people developed ethical and civilized standards by which they could all live together.

The remnants of the mindset of the ancient religions survive today, in what I call the "tribal mentality". Them and us. My fodder is better than your fodder. At this point in time, religion has caused more strife in the world than it is worth. Whatever good religion has provided, is negated by the various groups jockeying to be at the top of the heap.

Doe we have any greater knowledge of the workings of the universe as our ancient forebears? To some extent yes, to a greater extent, absolutely not. Do we know what is the cause of the universe? Of course not. As sophisticated as we are, we are only scratching the surface with regards to the mysteries of the universe.

Is there a god? Who knows? Who cares? Personally, I thing that the entire concept of a god is an extremely long shot. As long as we can live a good honest life, it does not have to matter.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:27 am
If there is a god, what makes you think that it must be able to do anything? Omnipotence is one of the attributes commonly assigned to the Judeo-Christian God, but there is no logical reason for it other than the belief that "my god is better than your god." As you have discovered, omnipotence leads to paradox. Some people get around it by declaring that God can only do what it is posible to do.

In any case, the question I have is: if god can do anything, why couldn't he forgive us for having the sinful nature that he gave us without demanding that we accept the idiotic notion that he had to have his son killed as a sacrifice to himself first? That is what really makes no sense.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:45 am
Re: I am doubting my faith - need guidance/advice.
rockpie wrote:

if God can do anything, does that mean he can create something too heavy for him to lift. if he's all powerful then he can do it, but if he does it he can't lift it... and if he doesn't do it, he can't... argh!

any answers/ideas/advice on what i do to either overcome this or approach a new way of life?

rockpie:

It is not uncommon to doubt your faith - it happens to all of us from time to time. I feel it's important to consider where and why the doubt is coming from. (Emotional reasons, intellectual reasons, both, other, etc.) Once you've determined the cause of the doubt - spend time studying on the subject. Give study-time to your current choice of faith and also to an alternative choice. (Remember: There are many "faiths" out there. And you will surely experience "doubts" in any of the faiths chosen. There is no "faith" that is 100% doubt-free; so be sure to give adequate time, effort and thought into each.) Be careful who you listen to as it seems that everyone has a personal agenda that may or may not be the best for you.

This is also an opportunity for you to grow in your faith. Questions produce answers and answers are what we're all looking for.

But above all; keep in mind what "faith" really means! Spend a little time pondering the definition. You're doing well to question - it will help you make good choices.
0 Replies

Roger Su

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 09:58 am
Wow, apparently everybody has a profound grasp about GOD, learn a lot from your guys. Smile
For a follower of religion, maybe try not to think a lot or think it simply is a good choice.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 10:06 am
Roger Su wrote:

For a follower of religion, maybe try not to think a lot ...

Bingo.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 10:46 am
When you live your life through faith, IMO, it is best not to do a lot of thinking about it. Faith and reason are polar opposites. Too much intellectual curiosity will engender a huge amount of conflicts within a person. For the pious, it is best simply to close your mind and pray.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 10:52 am
Any thinking person is going to question their faith at some point. Go ahead and question all you need to.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:04 am
I'm with you phoenix.

rockpie....asking questions are the beginning of wisdom.

one does not gain wisdom by simply reading and accepting, but by questioning it.

Why would you want to "overcome" this wonderful thing? The ability to use your brain to seek the unknown.

Actually, I find it interesting that after all the years you've been on this planet, you find that one particular "God lifting a rock question" to be your mindblower. There are lots more out there that would really make your mind boggle.

Now that it's opened a crack, you can start to ponder more.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:15 am
Rocky, Rocky, Rocky. . . I'm surprised no one has pointed out to you that weight is relative. An object of the magnitude you posed could only be moved relative to itself, so your question is a non question. It is on the order of you attempting to think about nothing.

A more profitable line of reasoning would be to consider whether or not the creator of the universe is willing, able and intending to undo the effects of thousands of years of priestly abominations and human depravity.

It has been my contention all along that, for Jehovah, it is not only possible, but certain.

I've been pretty busy lately setting up our family eBay business; but I will bookmark this site and come back to it.
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:49 pm
If you didn't have doubts it wouldn't be called faith.

but beware...

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.
Proverbs 27, 6
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:06 pm
chiso, the tricky part is working out who the enemy is.

rockpie, I can do no more than point you back to Phoenix's superb post..

edit: although I could just share with you a proverb my father told me often that has served me well:

"Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 11:53 pm
Re: I am doubting my faith - need guidance/advice.
rockpie wrote:

It is hard to know whether to treat this as a serious question, or as a rerun of an old George Carlin routine.

By definition, God as the Creator would always be superior to anything He created.

If He is 'all powerful' , then how could something be 'more than all powerful' ?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 05:50 am
well, i was led in bed thinking lat night about this question and i came to this conclusion:

if God is all-powerful or omnipotent, then that means he can do anything, even the impossible. god can do things that are contradicotory, as he can do the nonsensical, for example god can create squared-circles. god can even make something too heavy for himself to lift and then go on to lift it anyway. so my doubts on that one are settled.

however, just as phoenix said, when you begin to ask questions, they keep appearing so now i'm thinking on this one:

if god is omniscient, to what extent do humans have free will? i mean if god knows the past, present and future, then every choice we ever make has already been seen by god, and so are we really free when making that choice?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:36 am
rockpie wrote:
if god is omniscient, to what extent do humans have free will? i mean if god knows the past, present and future, then every choice we ever make has already been seen by god, and so are we really free when making that choice?

And around and around we go. Rockpie, when I was your age, I asked the exact same questions. That is why I am relating so strongly to your quest. It is up to you to think these issues through.

As a child, a person accepts what their parents say as the ultimate truth. When one is older, one realizes that people, including parents, are fallible. A mature individual will make up his mind for himself. Religion is a similar situation. Kids are taught the faith of their parents, from an absolute perspective. This is IT, and if you are a __________, (insert name of religion here) you believe. The intelligent person, as he matures, questions, and develops a world view of his own, which may or may not be related to what he has learned as a child.

Every individual needs to find the right path for his life. He needs to find something that is meaningful to him, not simply parroting what he has learned as a child. For some, a person's birth religion may suit him just fine. But he needs to discover that for himself, and not simply accept. For others, it is a long, rigorous, process to develop a world view that will stand him in good stead for the rest of his life.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:51 am
ok. so lets say i stop being a Christian. but i still can't not believe in god. maybe a god does exist and does answer prayer and perform miracles, etc, but maybe no religion on earth is the one true religion, maybe god is just some spirit that is kind of playing on the sims with us. if you know what i mean. he has good intentions, sometimes he messes up, but he doesn't desire to be worshipped, yet he won't turn it down if it comes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:56 am
rockpie- Keep thinking. You will find that there are many people who believe in many different things. The point is to keep questioning until you find a path that you believe (not feel) is right for you.

This process of finding a personal world view is not something which happens overnight. It is a process, that takes a long time to mature. Read, learn about the different ways that people perceive the world, and above all, keep an open mind.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:58 am
until i find my view on the world then refuse to accept anything else? (not intended as an insult to anyone, just what it seems many people have done.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:04 am
rockpie wrote:
until i find my view on the world then refuse to accept anything else? (not intended as an insult to anyone, just what it seems many people have done.)

I don't think that any one path is completely right for each person. As human beings, we have the ability to pick and choose, keeping what is important, and discarding the rest.

Although I do not know whether there is a god, nor do I particularly care, I think that there are many valuable lessons to be learned from each of the religious traditions. Religion was one of the forces which shaped civilization, and some of its tenets are applicable today.

Here I go again, with one of my favorite expressions, "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater".
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:07 am
and you mustn't drown it either...
0 Replies