Oh God (now what?)

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:53 pm
My kid's been really wanting more socializing opportunities so when we got a flyer from her school saying they were starting a Daisy Scout troop I said sure, why not. (Daisy Scouts are evidently some sort of junior Girl Scouts -- same organization.) Cheap, through her school, and for girls her age. Maybe she'll learn how to build a fire.

Went to the sign-up thingie tonight, it was fun, good kids there, they had a blast playing while the moms filled out paperwork and stuff. Then I saw this:

THE GIRL SCOUT PROMISE On my honor, I will try: To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Now, one of their first "duties" is to memorize and recite this. It isn't just some words in the front of the book.

It goes on to say:

The word "God" is subject to individual interpretation and encompasses a very wide range of spiritual beliefs. It is important for you -- and the Daisy Girl Scouts -- to understand that serving God in a way that is compatible with individual beliefs is the most important thing. It is okay for a girl to replace the word "God" with whatever word her spiritual beliefs dictate.

And if she has NO spiritual beliefs...?!

I don't want to be Miss Priss about this, but at the same time it BOTHERS me. I've thought of maybe having sozlet replace the word "God" with the word "good." :-? I dunno.

Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,644 • Replies: 65
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:57 pm
Wow, soz, this is exactly why my mom wouldn't let me be a Brownie 30 years ago!

I have no bright ideas for you - but I imagine that there will be very few other children who will be saying anything other than "god". I know Sozlet doesn't mind being different, but it's something to consider.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:58 pm
Whoops, my math was off - make that 40 years ago.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:05 pm
Soz, I met the same situation when the younger son wanted to join the Cub Scouts. His den leader called me to inform me that y.s. refused to say the pledge because we didn't believe in god. DL said that we had to "believe" to be members. I said that was a deal breaker. The bottom line was that they wanted the kid in and bent the rules for him. He never had to say the pledge again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:07 pm
And that is exactly WHY my mom tried to shove me into brownies. The whole do as I say not as I do, went to religion as well for her..

(sigh)

Why, oh why can't kids not just be kids ? And not have politics / religion shoved down their throats??

No. The word GOD does NOT encompass every belief. In fact it PUSHES a belief.

I don't blame you one bit for being upset.

I take it she is already enrolled? No backing out possible?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:08 pm
I was a girl scout until my friend and I tried to light some pancakes on fire got expelled. I don't remember the "God" thing and probably would not have noticed at the time. You could subsitute the word "God" with "the world" or how about "Zeus" - just to shake things up a little. Have you asked you daughter if she believes in a god? Maybe she has her own ideas about what word should be there.

PS never, never send her to Girl Scout camp, it's like one of those horror movies and everyone seems to come home with lice.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:13 pm
Mac, I know what you mean, that's the Miss Priss part. Should I just let it go, not make a big deal out of it?

Shewolf, today was just the sign-up, and then the actual meetings start in a couple of weeks. Could definitely back out if I wanted to. But sozlet had SO much fun today and it's the kind of thing she's been wanting to do, and I have to figure out if it makes me mad enough that I'd pull her out just for that reason.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:13 pm
I said that pledge and meant it then...

since then I've had various girl scout and boy scout qualms. A good friend of mine married an eagle scout, and it worked out.

Me, I'm more veery/leery, and that friend of mine and I are different in interesting ways that might line up re liking of authority.

I'll not be suggesting what to do, but at kindergarden level I'd be outta there. When I joined, I was nine or ten. Time enough. (See my first aid badge?)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:15 pm
Google the Girl Scout site for details.

I remember awhile back that the Boy Scouts were insisting on Belief in God and the Girl Scouts were allowing considerable latitude.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:16 pm
Soz, what does she say during the Pledge of Allegiance when it comes to reciting, "under God"? Does she skip it? If so, she could do the same here.

On my honor, I will try:
To serve ________ my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:17 pm
Oh missed you there Swimpy, that sounds like a good outcome. Part of it is that I think she'll go along with it and I'm not sure if I WANT her to go along with it, which is thornier. I'd be fine with her just refusing and going from there.

Maybe she won't, though. How old was your son at the time?

I like "Zeus," Green Witch! :-D "The world" too, though.

One of the moms there is an alternative type I like a lot who I can't imagine liking the God thing either -- my husband suggested taking her aside and asking her what she thought, might do that.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:18 pm
Then pair your two Zeus children up, and tell them to recite the 'pledge' at the top of their lungs every day.

HA
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:19 pm
She doesn't do the Pledge of Allegiance at school. (Yay school.) She did it for a stupid summer camp thing and was into it then, though. More here.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:24 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Have you asked you daughter if she believes in a god? Maybe she has her own ideas about what word should be there.

My younger son was your daughter's age when he told me all about his relationship with God (we were/are not churchgoers). The best part was when he said, "Well when She talks to me...". Like Green Witch says, she may have her own ideas about the situation.

BTW both sons enjoyed cubs and scouts and didn't put a lot meaning into the pledge, it was just part and parcel to them. I've never thought it hurt them to be exposed to other people's beliefs as long as there's no proselytizing going on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:24 pm
Just caught your post, Soz. This well may be harmless and good at the same time, in kindergarten. Still, there is this march in step thing.

Hard to extract later, though perhaps not so hard after a few meetings at Sozlet's age.

This reminds me that google had an article about YMCA's going back to much more christian stuff. Thus goes my favorite gym, bye bye.

The good thing about Girl Scouts is that - I learned to make pancakes on a gallon tin can over a candle...

a girl with the last name of EDIT: MODERATOR: NAME REMOVED AT POSTER'S REQUEST held up her blood pants at eight grade camp out and clue'd the rest of us in, before our mothers...

I learned how to make both pralines and popovers.

I have memories of my dear, now, mother and I under the subway overpass, with rain pouring down, me selling Girl Scout Cookies. Oddly, it's one of the remaining pictures in my mind of she and me.

Sniffling as I may be, I'm not sure that's all a push for you to enter Sozlet in this stuff.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:32 pm
Are you ok with the concept of the pledge without the godspeak?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:38 pm
I tried to edit my post - would not post that person's last name if I had two seconds more thought.

I'll try to intercept it via a2k help, but I'm presently having communication difficulties via yahoo.

but, my intentions are to get that name excised.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:04 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Google the Girl Scout site for details.

I remember awhile back that the Boy Scouts were insisting on Belief in God and the Girl Scouts were allowing considerable latitude.

I agree with Noddy on this - I was a Girl Scout and honestly cannot really remember any sort of religious twist to it. However, I have heard that the Boy Scouts do insist on a belief in God. The one thing is this varies depending on each group of Scouts (ie. I would imagine in Bible belt this is a major part, whereas in another part of the country it may not even come up) - if their belief system does not fit in with yours, then it is not for you.

On the other hand, if it is simply the statement that she needs to memorize simply substitute with whatever you deem appropriate - I really don't think the other kids will even notice. At that age, they are memorizing simply because it is required. Also, you could attend some meetings to ensure there is no religious slant to it or even ask the organizers a head of time. My guess is that they are trying to accomodate everyone by even suggesting changing the wording so I doubt there is any religious push.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:12 am
I was a Girl Scout and remember the pledge. Didn't we have to say it at the beginning or end of every meeting? Since I was raised in a Christian home, the pledge was not a big deal. Religion never came into play, except that our ceremony was held in a church and the meetings were held in that church, in the rec room, as well, simply because of the space, I believe.

I think you're making a big deal out of nothing, Soz.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 08:29 am
I think he was in first or second grade. It was his initiative that brought it to a head. I didn't have strong feelings one way or another. The pledge is no more than the Pledge of Allegience they say in school. He wouldn't say the under god part then either . Gee, I wonder where he got that from :wink: My advice to you is to go with the flow. If she says the pledge, she won't spontaneously combust (at least I'm pretty sure :wink: )

If she refuses and it becomes an issue, then I woud back her up with guns ablazin'.
0 Replies