Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 04:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
I find the evolution of religion a fascinating diversionary topic. Its amazing that mot religious beliefs and prctices begin and end with fear.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 05:22 am
@Tobeasone,
Quote:

I am sorry to hear this! ... I can't even imagine what you would be like if you learned to meditate..
Honestly I tried meditation everal times and I find I get the same results by losing myself in my art work. When I sai that "we" are interested in finding out how Go did it, I was being a bit facetious (Sorta like Einstein and his God dont shoot craps). Ive been a pretty "devout atheist" for many decades but have a special interest in learning about how many of my colleagues are able to compartmentalize their lives. Science is a pretty tough lady, theres no way we can know that whatever weve spent a career on will even survive another generation. It happens very frequently. Science is littered with memories of workrs who pursued many (what later became) dead ends. We dont write many books about these guys, it can often be tragic.
Ive got one for you . A book by Ken Miller called "Finding Darwin's God". Its a personal tour through how many devout scientists accomplish that "compartmentalization" I spoke of up-top.
When you gave me a compliment saying that I dont start dismissing you . Thats really not true. I hve fairly strong worldviews and Ive had many arguments herein with those who usually start out by trying to convert me. I try to have patience but Im not gifted with an unending supply. When I see that my correspondent begins to accuse my atheism as "just another religion" or is trying to convert me, or merely wants to ridicule my work as a target of my worlview, they often find that I become rather sardonic and will spend hours and hours trading low blows. I really dont like that but believe me, Im nowhere above it.
Many atheists herein dont believe that religious people deserve respect, that i probably the main place where I break ranks because, as weve been going here, I detect a sense of respect for my ways (although you dont share them). Thats totally a fair and proper way to "meet by the river".

PS, Im gonna be 67 in early December. I still work as a contract employee for a few mining and gas drilling concerns. I also serve on severl environmental boards and a River Basin Commish. I was part of a science panel that developed the science ed policies for the state of P back bout almost 15 years ago (GODDAM does time fly). Ive served as a non testifying expert in several cases involving teaching Creation and intelligent design as science in public and charter schools(a series of tasks that I loved).
I just wanted you to know that Im probably (maybe) older than you, Thats totally immaterial though, Ive had some jaw droppin note taking(I was the one taking the notes) conversations with kids 15 years old whove really thought out their positions, so age again, is just a way to "keep score"
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 08:03 am
I used to try various "spiritual" endeavors. None of it took, long time. Meditation, Buddhism, Christianity. Ultimately none of it proved worth the effort.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 08:46 am
@edgarblythe,
yes but you tried. My Catholicism or the Judaism of my Russian forebears never "took" either. When ya have more questions re your worldview's validation then, perhaps, its time to ask for the check rather than trying to "force fit" what doesnt make sense.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 09:58 am
@farmerman,
Wow! You're still a young man. I'll be 82 next month. I'm glad we had the opportunity to meet you in PhIlly, and I rely on your knowledge on geology, and learned a few things over the years from your posts. If you ever plan a trip to the west coast, I would love to show you around Northern CA.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:26 am
@aperson,
The Charles Darwin Research Center in the Galápagos Islands shows evolution at work.
0 Replies

Tobeasone

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:52 pm
@farmerman,
I can't talk to much today, to much on my plate....
FYI.... I will be 67.... 12/16/17
I also live in Northern California...
Quote:
Many atheists herein dont believe that religious people deserve respect, that i probably the main place where I break ranks because, as weve been going here, I detect a sense of respect for my ways (although you dont share them). Thats totally a fair and proper way to "meet by the river".

I sure hope I have not given you any idea that I don't respect you... That would be the farthest thing from the truth... I have enjoyed our conversation immensely... I don't get to converse with brilliant people doing their thing... They're usually to busy to put up with someone of my caliber... But at some point we both must get back at it... and for today I will have to bid you fair will...
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:36 pm
@Tobeasone,
and Im leaving for some field work on Sun evening(making a mall vacation in the woods and Mrs F is coming along to act s q techy photographer. We stay in a town called Wellsboro which is a nifty little place built by logging money and now a HQ for gas drilling. Even the street lites are gas mantle.

Be away for about 6 days then back for a bbq on the 4th. talk then
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 04:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I'll be 82 next month

Wow 82. Did you have a TV or phone when you were born? Did your father have a steam engine car?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 06:01 pm
@reasoning logic,
We were too poor because my father passed when I was 2 yo. I still have a picture of the funeral where my uncle is carrying me in front of the casket at the Sacramento Buddhist Church. My father and my uncles and aunts were born in Hawaii. My mother was born in Portland, OR.
My uncle took my father's ashes to Japan to be interred with other family members in Hiroshima. We visited Hiroshima in 1982 and visited my father's tomb.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 06:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I was just kidding with you about your age. I have for the most part always found the post that you share to be honest and fair.
0 Replies

Tobeasone

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 07:46 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
I have never heard it more beautifully explained outside of poetry, myth, and music. Your words are like a combination of Neil de Grasse Tyson and Joseph Campbell. If these are your own original words, then you should write a book on the subject.

It's already out there you just have to be willing to look! This gentleman sounds like he knows what he's talking about...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw23kLDURf_oq1ValRND2Ng
0 Replies

Tobeasone

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:47 pm
@coluber2001,
What good does religion offer the world today?
How about The Second Coming of Christ!
Don't you wish there was a manual... Well here you go!
https://www.bookfinder.com/book/9780876125571/
http://www.yogananda-srf.org/HowtoLive/How-to-Live_Wisdom.aspx#.WVChbmjyuyJ
coluber2001

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2017 09:32 am
The concept of evolution freed us from the tyranny and and self-enslavement by the idea of a supernatural. We can thank Darwin and Wallace for discovering this fact, although if they hadn't, somebody else would have even tually.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2017 09:58 am
@coluber2001,
Evolution does help us, beyond a doubt. I was an atheist before I knew what it was, but it is good to have something solid when discussing it. It does not prove there is no god, but it does knock away lots of supernatural notions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2017 10:35 am
@Tobeasone,
The second coming is a fictional-mythical idea written by an zealot who didn't understand human evolution. Religious people who thinks they are going to spend eternity in heaven is bogus.
We were born like all animal existence; through sex.
What I find more fascinating is the simple fact is we are the product of all of our ancestors that goes back to the beginning of human existence. I prefer learning more about human evolution and migration, and how races evolved.
Even the geology of this planet changed dramatically. Planet earth is pretty young in this universe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_Earth
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2017 06:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The second coming is a fictional-mythical idea written by an zealot who didn't understand human evolution

It becomes a reality when one perceives or believes it to be true. We have leaned this to be true with artificial intelligence as well.

Even you can be Jesus if you believe.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 03:16 pm

Morre evidence of evoloserism being a bunch of bullshit...

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/08/evolutionary-theorist-concedes-evolution-largely-avoids-biggest-questions-of-biological-origins/
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 03:35 pm
@gungasnake,
Are you referring to the research by Gerd B. Müller?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 07:02 pm
@gungasnake,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_evolutionary_thought
0 Replies