Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:24 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Pay him no mind, many of his opinions are really not worth considering
You misspelled the word "all", you spelled it like "many". Just sayin'
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:26 am
@farmerman,
It's a liberal fantasy that only the things they consider are worth considering.

They are generally quite uncomfortable with things they think are not worth considering and asserting them to be not worth considering is an easy and somewhat sissified, and presumably self-satisfying, technique of avoiding considering any of them.

In philosophical circles the condition is known as HUA syndrome.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 10:49 am
@parados,
Up to an extent he (Spendius) has a point why else the conservatives would have this world view on which enforcing the law and the values comes first and dialogue comes after...it is a pessimistic stance...the liberals not all of course but the average Joe indeed lives this phantasy that they can sort anything through dialogue and public petitions...I am not trying to paint a black and white picture here, my political stance is far closer to the liberals then it could ever be close to the conservatives but that in turn doesn't mean I cannot take some fair criticism...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 11:50 am
@rosborne979,
sorry, I do have this condition that makes me **** up in the spelling of many words Very Happy
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah!! but not "many" rather than "all".
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:12 pm
@spendius,
Actually fm, I did expect you to repudiate the imputation that you are getting senile but instead, in the interest of group solidarity, you roll over like a big soft dog having its tummy tickled, and acquiesce to the untoward aspersion cast upon your scientific and literary integrity by a fool of the same class as ci.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:17 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I think it's pretty apparent if one looks at horrors thrust on this world by religion that humans aren't self-disciplined, morally decent or respectable.

The US and religions - two monstrous hypocrites, right, Parados? How did you forget the USA?
parados

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:28 pm
@JTT,
I suppose I forgot the USA in a similar fashion to how you forget every other country in the world, past present and future. I realize ALL countries have people in them so they all have the same problems with self discipline, moral decency and respectability. In fact, I realize that you are a person which explains much about your obsession and why you display the 3 aforementioned traits of humans.
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:40 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I suppose I forgot the USA in a similar fashion to how you forget every other country in the world, past present and future.

Typically lame paradosian inanity.

The US is by far the worst of the worst. The US constantly makes claims to be for the poor and the oppressed. Massive lie. The US has never ever been for the poor and the oppressed. The US leads the world in oppressing the poor and the oppressed.
parados

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:43 pm
@JTT,
You constantly fail to rise above your human failings, don't you JTT. I forgive you.
JTT

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:45 pm
@parados,
You constantly provide support and cover for US terrorism and US crimes against humanity, P.

Talk of human failings.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 09:07 pm
@aperson,
You forgot..

Would time travelers eventually go ape?.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2012 09:26 pm
@rosborne979,
Mr. Green
0 Replies

sprinic1501

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:23 am
@aperson,
i dont believe in evolution or moving tectonic plates (different theory based of the flood).

sir i have done my research thats exactly why i dont believe it for a moment. why do u care anyway why so hostile to a mental idea, it didnt hurt u.

yes i believe in downgrading (only) mutation. mutation has never been shown to introduce new info.

yes i do doesnt prove or disprove evolution

yes i do again doesnt prove or disprove evolution

yes i do and thats why natural selection and downgrading mutation is debated by noone and biblically supported. Evolution is not these things. just cuz ppl stole these called them "microevolution" and said see look it happens on a small scale if we give it lots of time it obviously MUST happen on a larger scale. I strongly disagree not only cuz universe only 6k yrs old but mutations can intro new info. never seen replicated or tested to do so.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 05:52 am
@sprinic1501,
Leaving aside your appalling ignorance, undoubtedly the product of your religious delusions--the person you are addressing has not posted at this site in more than three years. His last post was to say goodbye, that he would not be returning. Don't expect a response from him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:08 am
@sprinic1501,
Plate tectonics can actually be measured in the field. Weve established laser and sat nav stations on several spots of the earth to just do that. The measurements clearly show that plates are moving at a 2 to 4 cm/year rate.
Also, locating the epicenters and hypocenters of earthquakes clearly marks where the plate boundaries are.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:35 am
@farmerman,
Carl Woese has died. The discoverer and experimenter with a tripartite classification of earliest life was 84.

Quote:

Carl Woese, a biophysicist and evolutionary microbiologist whose discovery 35 years ago of a “third domain” of life in the vast realm of micro-organisms altered scientific understanding of evolution, died on Sunday at his home in Urbana, Ill. He was 84.His death was announced by the University of Illinois, where Dr. Woese (pronounced woes) joined the faculty in 1964 and spent his entire academic career.

In 1977, Dr. Woese and colleagues at the university startled the scientific world by announcing the discovery of what would be called archaea, a category of single-cell microbes genetically distinct from the two groups previously believed to comprise living organisms: prokaryotes, which include bacteria, and eukaryotes, which include plants and animals.

While other evolutionary biologists had long studied physical traits of species to determine their relationships, Dr. Woese spent years laboriously comparing the genetic sequences of protein-building structures in cells, known as ribosomes and ribosomal DNA. In the process, he established that archaea, which had previously been thought to be within the prokaryote group, had in fact evolved separately from a universal ancestor shared by all three groups.

“He put on the table a metric for determining evolutionary relatedness,” said Norman R. Pace, a microbiologist and biochemist at the University of Colorado, Boulder. “His results were the first to prove that all life on earth was related.”

Archaea, which are relatively simple genetically, were initially believed to exist only in extreme environments like undersea volcanic vents and hot springs. In the years since Dr. Woese’s initial research, they have been found in many places, including in plankton and in the human body.

As his work became commonly accepted, Dr. Woese urged other scientists to pursue the territory further. He argued that understanding the evolution of microbes was central to understanding evolutionary biology.

“It’s clear to me that if you wiped all multicellular life-forms off the face of the earth, microbial life might shift a tiny bit,” Dr. Woese said in an interview with The New York Times in 1996. “If microbial life were to disappear, that would be it — instant death for the planet.”

He noted that microbes, although invisible, make up far more of the living protoplasm on earth than all humans, animals and plants combined. Yet there had been little study of them.

“Imagine walking out in the countryside and not being able to tell a snake from a cow from a mouse from a blade of grass,” he said. “That’s been the level of our ignorance.”

Carl Richard Woese was born July 15, 1928, in Syracuse. He earned bachelor’s degrees in math and physics from Amherst College in 1950 and a Ph.D. in biophysics at Yale in 1953. He studied medicine for two years at the University of Rochester, spent five years as a researcher in biophysics at Yale and worked as a biophysicist at the General Electric Research Laboratory in Schenectady, N.Y., before joining the faculty of the University of Illinois in 1964.

Dr. Woese received many honors and awards, including a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant in 1984, the National Medal of Science in 2000 and the Crafoord Prize in Biosciences from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 2003, which recognized his “discovery of a third domain of life.”

His survivors include his wife, Gabriella; a sister, Donna Daniels; a daughter, Gabriella, and a son, Robert.

In a statement released by the University of Illinois, Nigel Goldenfeld, a longtime colleague, noted that Dr. Woese had entered the field as an “outsider” whose methods were not traditional.

“He turned a field that was primarily subjective into an experimental science,” Dr. Goldenfeld said, “with wide-ranging and practical implications for microbiology, ecology and even medicine that are still being worked out.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 04:00 pm
Creationist's $10,000 Challenge to Science
spendius

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 04:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
"There was no talking snake". Gee. He must be ******* joking.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 04:25 pm
@spendius,
I don't think people joke about snakes, spendi.