spendius

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 05:07 pm
@spendius,
End of story.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 05:10 pm
@rosborne979,
yep. Its the "Hopeful Monster"'s gene pool. SOmeday he may need some of that. Remember, to evolve is to take what youve already got and do something new with it. I like the concept that genes are mere bookkeeping.

NOONE has yet determined whether the evolved state is genes first or descent with modification first.
spendius

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 05:21 pm
@farmerman,
You're sussed fm. You're scared of Veblen. Oh you peer-reviewer you!! All the little Mumsies are scared of Veblen.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 07:11 am
@farmerman,
I'll quote a little more from the evolutionary maestro for you fm--

Quote:
There is nothing decisive to hinder men's
knowledge of facts and events being formulated in terms of
personality -- in terms of habit and propensity and will power.

You see--I haven't a leg to stand on really. You are perfectly entitled to read and interpret the facts of life to suit your own purposes. Most people do.

"You didn't do that" is being resisted by people who are interpreting the facts to suit their own purposes. Sometimes very emotionally.

But those into whose faces you empty your lungs are entitled to know that it is what you are up to in case your brilliantine words mislead them into believing you have some firm grasp on ultimate truth and that they should agree with the conclusions you derive from such grasp if only because their propensities are similar to your own. A temptation I think you will agree. A dance of the seven veils with the seventh one retained so to speak.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 08:16 am
@spendius,
Quote:
All the little Mumsies are scared of Veblen.

There are hours and hours of missed therapy in which you should at least attempt to catch up.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 08:18 am
@spendius,
Quote:
--I haven't a leg to stand on really.
Many folks herein have gently tried to remind you of this fact
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 08:24 am
@spendius,
Quote:
But those into whose faces you empty your lungs are entitled to know that it is what you are up to in case your brilliantine words mislead them into believing you have some firm grasp on ultimate truth and that they should agree with the conclusions you derive from such grasp if only because their propensities are similar to your own. A temptation I think you will agree. A dance of the seven veils with the seventh one retained so to speak.
You should have spent some time editing this. It reads really sappy and Im sure you were shooting more for post prandial erudition than sappy .
Maybe not, its hard to tell with you sometimes when you scream for attention and we dont give you enough to satisfy your enmalted sensibilities
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 09:51 am
@farmerman,
I rather thought that you were drawing attention to yourself by bringing us the public face of a process dedicated to the working off of some mysteriously acquired funding.

All I was attempting to do was instruct a few bright sparks in how to approach the scientific assault upon their common sense. Deriving certain conclusions about the sequences of life from there being "slightly more" of "slightly taller" folks in Iceland during this brief space in which we struggle is somewhat fanciful imo.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 01:31 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
It reads really sappy

So you come back with sappy, Farmer? Rolling Eyes
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:04 pm
@JTT,
I don't think my post was sappy at all. I'm at a loss how fm would edit it which he must have felt that he could do in order to recommend me to. It's probably a gambit he uses a lot.

Go on fm--edit my post.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 03:10 pm
@spendius,
you wrote it. If you take no pride in anything you write, why should I?
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 06:37 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I don't think my post was sappy at all.

My remark doesn't necessarily say it was, Spendi.

But I have noticed that once again, Farmer, who did make that suggestion, can't quite bring himself to follow up.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:27 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
If you take no pride in anything you write, why should I?

I thought this paragraph was excellent actually.

Quote:

Your only response was that I should edit it and I can't see what I could do to improve it. That's why I challenged you to advise me and you have retreated in confusion. As usual.

I didn't expand on the propensities for a number of reasons. And I did think of making the seventh veil a pair of stainless steel underpants.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2012 10:10 pm
Actually, the bible's ten commandments are based on the Egyptian "Book of the Dead" that's much older than the Jewish bible that dates to 164 BCE.

Most people who have ever been brainwashed into christianity knows about the number of "books" and the number of human authors who wrote them.

You don't need to "study" christianity to know how religion was "born" earlier in Egypt that dates back to 2,400 BCE.

There is no such thing as a "moral laws given by god." The ten commandments are almost verbatim from the Book of the Dead.

The only moral law humans need is "treat all living things with dignity and respect." All other laws are copies from other human imaginations based on the creation of their religion.

Ever wonder why, the US, a supposedly christian majority country, has so much crime within and without our country?

Think about it.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:04 am
Quote:
It can be proved by the evidentioary method and one of and if not the greatest historical document we have. The dead sea scrolls nailed this fact.

What "evidentiary method" do you allege "proves" that agglomeration of superstitions, borrowings, distortions and children's stories to be an historical document at all, nevermind the greatest? Just how do the Dead Sea scrolls make that a fact?
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:29 am
@cicerone imposter,
Right--I have thought about it. 10 seconds is sufficient. Human beings don't treat all living things with dignity and respect unless they are persuaded or made to. The level of crime is a measure of the efficiency of the making or the persuading.

It is a liberal fantasy that human beings are naturally good in the sense of being sociable, self-disciplined, morally decent and respectable. Liberals are in fear of the law and their fellows and they pretend they are naturally good to avoid facing the fact.

Modern Christianity seeks to persuade and secularism can only make.

spendius

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2012 03:37 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
that agglomeration of superstitions, borrowings, distortions and children's stories to be an historical document at all, nevermind the greatest?

That's a children's story. It assumes A2Kers are children.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:53 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Well at least you are being honest about where you received your education.
Quote:

Learning how to not step outside can be tricky.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 08:39 am
@spendius,
Quote:
It is a liberal fantasy that human beings are naturally good in the sense of being sociable, self-disciplined, morally decent and respectable.

What liberal has that fantasy? I think it's pretty apparent if one looks at horrors thrust on this world by religion that humans aren't self-disciplined, morally decent or respectable. Humans are often contemptible because they attempt to cast the blame for their despicable actions on some higher power rather than taking responsibility themselves.
farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 09:45 am
@parados,
Its a conserative fantasy that they know and understand what everybody else's fantasies are.

Pay him no mind, many of his opinions are really not worth considering