Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:23 am
@farmerman,
No you won't. You have proved that time after time.

You're blathering.

Of course they are serious questions. Asserting they are not as a way of pretending to deal with them is fatuous.

There's nothing to add to evolution theory. Darwin made a big enough pile. What are all these highly paid so-called scientists going to tell us that we don't already know?

The notion that the Church's teaching on sexual matters should be ignored does not need evolution to prop it up. There are far better ways. Evolution is actually useless for the job because it doesn't deal with the reality of human social arrangements. It's a red herring. And old enough to be giving off a stench.
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 08:11 am
@spendius,
Quote:
The notion that the Church's teaching on sexual matters should be ignored does not need evolution to prop it up.
Well, at least youre partly correct here.

The only person who believes that you actually make sense is you. Perhaps you should take some advice from many others, so freely shared with you
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:49 pm
@farmerman,
But ci. says that they are all stupid. Citing Einstein too.

It isn't so much that I am partially correct. It is that you are scared of making the case without evolution. And there's an obvious reason for that.

I can make it. Not that I'm going to do because the "many others" will be mortified if I do.

Are you defining "sense"? Again. Sheesh!!! From an intellectual point of view you are illiterate.
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:06 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Sheesh!!! From an intellectual point of view you are illiterate.

Perhaps, but, unlike you, I am educable.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:49 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Epistemology Listeni/ɨˌpɪstɨˈmɒlədʒi/ (from Greek ἐπιστήμη (epistēmē), meaning "knowledge, science", and λόγος (logos), meaning "study of") is the branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and scope (limitations) of knowledge. It addresses the questions:

What is knowledge?
How is knowledge acquired?
To what extent is it possible for a given subject or entity to be known?

Much of the debate in this field has focused on analyzing the nature of knowledge and how it relates to connected notions such as truth, belief, and justification. Another perennial concern of the field is the possibility that there is very little or no knowledge at all—skepticism. The field is sometimes referred to as the theory of knowledge.

The term was introduced by the Scottish philosopher James Frederick Ferrier (1808–1864).

Why are so many experts engaged with those matters if they are so cut and dried as you are trying to delude us that they are?

Science has no answer to the moral problems. It is inspirational because it is the route to plenty and to control. But it is also embarrassing and disturbing.

Belief systems of the past were stable and interpreted the world in a way that made it acceptable to believers and underwrote social arrangements such as the distribution of wealth and power. Science can do nothing of the sort. It is morally meaningless and respects no hierarchies. Science cannot make sense of life. It necessarily declares false all beliefs.

And on top of the epistemological and moral bankruptcy of science (effective cognitive technique) it has sociological problems as well. What do we do with the systems we have inherited? And what happens to our knowledge of pre-scientific societies and to those who are concerned professionally with the maintenance of that knowledge in our partially scientific society. And you probably know that they are not insignificant. Whole departments in universities are engaged with such things. Will you approve of Orwell's methods of dealing with them?

Are those beliefs and institutions of the past irrelevant left-overs or do they address universal needs which are neglected by science or are not satisfiable by science?

You cute timeless vistas recognise no transformations unique to the industrial/scientific world we are living in and which is still an infant.
The sociological content evaporates under scientific scrutiny as I have proved hundreds, maybe thousands, of times.

You're like a kid playing with matches in an oil refinery. There are most momentous social consequences in your position. That is why you have steered around, white feathers flying, all my reminders of social consequences over 8 years. As have the other members of your foolish and inconsequential claque.

You seem to have no idea that societies might divide into those in which positivist knowledge eradicates all other forms of knowledge and those which are based on non-positive knowledge (beliefs).

If your position is like that of the Logical Positivist and Existentialist and rejects any social implications (in the timelessness) then it is profoundly irrelevant.

It was Arthur Koestler who compared you "reluctant revolutionaries" to the seducer who chickens at the bedroom door. One might add that as far as the infatuation with science and empirical verification is concerned it has never even been seen anywhere near the bedroom door. Not only is the position innocuous it damn well tries to be. It's a nothing thing. You have to avoid social implications to remain neutral, which science is and you are not, and neutrality is indefensible, irresponsible and ineffective.

Just imagine trying to validate scientifically all our beliefs and convictions.

Nah!!! You just want to undermine the Church's teachings on sexual matters for your own reasons which are easily identified.

As WJB said--words can easily be found to support any position. You just select your evidence and ignore everything else.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:01 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

The tabula rasa idea. It's a start. I'll get you penitent at the altar rails yet.

Assiduously promoting bullshit you have no idea and no interest in how it is going to work out needs to ask forgiveness.
0 Replies

Yahoojack

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 03:07 pm
@farmerman,
How?
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 05:45 pm
@Yahoojack,
hardly a coherent question. Want to try again?
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:00 pm
@farmerman,
I wanted to know your answer to Jack's request. It seemed as obvious a question to ask as it was reasonable to ask it.

Answer it. Don't start blathering at Jack like you have blathered to me for 8 ******* years. He's a Newbie and possibly not used to blather.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:23 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

That's what shocked me so, Farmer. I once thought that that may be true. But you have so often clearly illustrate the same down home, willful ignorance of an Oralloy or a H2oMan.
0 Replies

Yahoojack

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 02:27 pm
@farmerman,
It followed the remarks I questioned. Learn to read.

Me:Nobody sees evolution
You:but it can actually be measured

I ASKED HOW???????????????????????????????
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 02:38 pm
@Yahoojack,
Study about evolutionary theory.
Yahoojack

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 02:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why?Because you say so?I don't take orders from fools on the internet.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 03:09 pm
@Yahoojack,
You certainly are angry arent you.
The measurement of things like divergent or convergent evolution, island isolation and morphological effects, etc etc, are alll measurable by statistical comparisons of the various related species. Genomics provides some really excellent meands to assess the changes in genetic material within divergent species .
You sound like a rookieso Id suggest that you read two really good books on the subject then maybe you can ask more intelligent questions

1The Origin of the Higher Groups of Tetrapods 1991, SChultze and Treup

2 Relics of Eden (2007). D. J. Fairbanks

parados

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 03:09 pm
@Yahoojack,
You don't really want an answer, do you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 03:12 pm
@Yahoojack,
NO, because you seem ignorant about evolution, and it would help if you understood the basics. It doesn't bother me one iota that you are ignorant, and do not wish to learn.
0 Replies

Yahoojack

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
The combination of arrogance and incompetence pisses me off and I don't tolerate insults.
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 05:01 pm
@Yahoojack,
but its ok for you to deal em out with impunity eh? Lets try to talk about evolution. Dont avoid me.
Yahoojack

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
I deal them as a response .I will avoid you anytime I choose to, starting NOW.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 05:04 pm
@Yahoojack,
It's really funny how you can use the words "arrogance and imcompetence" when you post on this thread, and refuse to accept suggestions on how can learn about the subject.
0 Replies