Why so many of the poor remain poor

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:27 am
WHY SO MANY OF THE THE POOR REMAIN POOR

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a featured called the "Vent." People call a message system and leave a short, terse message. A selection are then chosen for publication. The following "vent" appeared this morning;

"If you think the rich got that way because of hard work, then I guess you've never heard of trust funds, the good-ole boy network and old-fashioned corrupt business practices."

There are no guarantees, of course, but my guess is that the person who phoned in this particular "vent" would be considered by most to be a complete loser. Add the word "pathetic."

There is a strong psychological need for some people to denigrate those whom they consider to be rich. These people cannot admit to themselves that the rich actually got that way through hard work.

Maybe the best way to put this point across is to go behind the whines; to craw into the darker corners of the mind of the person who wrote that vent:

"I'm getting so tire of hearing these rich people complain about their taxes, and I'm really getting fed up with all of their complaining about how hard they worked to get their money. I work hard. I work just as hard as those rich bastards, and I'm not rich. They didn't work for that money, they inherited it. They're just lucky because they had rich parents., My parents were poor. They didn't leave me with a big fat trust account so I could buy fancy cars and lay around all day and complain about taxes.

"Oh, I know that all of these rich people don't have big fat trust accounts. Some of them just knew the right people. They were just in the right place at the right time. If I had known those people I would be rich too.

"And they're crooks too. If you got rich with hard work I would be rich. I work hard. They're just crooks. If they were honest they wouldn't have all that money. Then they complain when they have to pay taxes. They didn't complain when they were stealing that money. They're just pigs, and they deserve to lose everything they have."

It's all a form of psychological self-preservation. These people cannot accept the fact that hard work and good decision-making and some risk-taking could lead to the accumulation of wealth. If they believed that they would have to explain to themselves just how it is that they have reached this stage of life without getting rich themselves! Could it be they aren't rich because they have made some bad decisions, refused to take risks, or just haven't been working as hard as they would have you believe? No! That just can't be! "I'm a good person! I'm a noble human being! I work hard! My problem is that I'm too honest. I won't cheat and steal like those rich people will. That's why I'm not rich. But at least I work!"

The psychology of failure reject the reality that the fault lies with you, not with those who have realized their dreams.

Oh, by the way. For that person who wrote that vent … you can give up on this "trust fund" nonsense. Less than 1.5% of millionaires in this country inherited their wealth. The rest WORKED for it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,533 • Replies: 168
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:50 am
There will always be the have's and have not's. Some may inherit their wealth, but most have 'worked' and invested 'wisely' for it. Before WWII, most Americans were POOR. Most did not have jobs. The majority of folks considered to be middle-class and above today came from that background. Most did not get a 'free ride.' c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:54 am
The statement that 1.5% of millionairs inherited their wealth is an interesting statistic but it needs a link. Exactly who came up with the statistic?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:32 am
I agree with you McGentrix on both your points.

1. A majority of people with money earned it through hard work.

2. Screw the poor. They are undeserving lazy bastards. Losers one and all. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:34 am
Two interesting "stats" on inherited wealth:

(For these the term "Affluent" is defind as someone with assets of at least $100,000 but less the $1,000,000 and "Affluent" and "Millionare" are seperated into two different groups.)

Quote:
"For the large majority of affluent families, inherited wealth is not important. Only 30 percent had inherited assets. For those who did, the median inheritance level was $36,000."

Quote:
"The two most important sources of wealth for millionaires are business assets (21 percent) and holdings of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds (23 percent). Retirement account assets (14 percent) and equity in one's main residence (13 percent) represent significantly less important sources of wealth.

Inherited assets are also an important source of wealth for millionaires. Forty-five percent had received an inheritance whose median level was $125,000."

http://www.americasaves.org/back_page/underestimate_wealth.cfm

There is obviously some inheritance going on but apparently people tend to greatly over-estimate the value and effects of it.

I'd guess that jealousy of another's wealth is pretty natural for us. The idea that simply working hard will make one rich is foolish. You have to work hard at the right things and have a bit of good luck thrown in. Making the right choices when opportunities appear is key. There are some people that see few of those opportunities for sure but to decide that everyone that does see them and makes the right choices is crooked smacks of sour grapes to me.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:34 am
I (sadly, for I've been a confirmed skiver the last couple of years) do more work than my boss, who makes twice what I do. The guy who cleans the place up, on the other hand, works much harder than I do, and makes a lot less. So there's where part of the perception comes in. Not every corporation or institution rewards hard work alone.

Also -- who are the most visible rich people in our society? Celebs -- movie stars and athletes who, we are told over and over again, make obscene wads of cash for doing things most of us, were we capable, would do for next to nothing, or at least think we would. Most people don't actually know any millionaires, and so go by what they see on the squawk box. By the same card, I do know some quite wealthy people who neither inherited the money nor did they work very hard for it; they were simply willing to go into an odious business filled with individuals of very low ethical standards and who produce nothing of value. Stockbrokers, this Bud's for you.

But my question is... why are you bothered by the ranting of someone who is so obviously a loser?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:40 am
The rich get their money by earning it; by inheriting it; by marrying into it; and by stealing it from others.

McG -- your take on this issue reinforces my opinion that you are an unfeeling, unempathetic jerkoff.

Frankly, I don't know what the huge attraction about being rich is. Certainly, I have thought about it -- and I guess at times I've even hoped for it. But I can think of a half dozen things that enter my reverie before "rich."

I am not especially envious of the rich -- although they do tend to play at courses not easily available to me. The courses I do play, though, are more than adequate for my game -- and if my regular courses constitute 95% of my playing time, so be it. I enjoy the occasional outting at a major course all that much more when it comes my way.

I think some of the envy displayed toward the rich is ugly. But not nearly as ugly as the sentiments expressed by our host here in this thread, the ever inappropriate, McGentrix -- who obviously has to look down on others in order to compensate for some inadequacy.

Hummmm...I wonder what it is???
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:41 am
Bear

That was the worst post I've ever seen you make.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:42 am
attack the article, Frank, not me.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 09:54 am
Frank why is that the worst post I've ever made?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:00 am
I resent it when the poor get dissected this way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:04 am
Yeah, Frank, It's not necessary to attack McG. Personal attacks are not appreciated by anybody. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:09 am
Are we sure some of that "hard work" and "luck" is achieved through crass opportunism? I'm not convinced that most millionaires got their money, if not inherited or inherited, by unscrupulous means and I'm sure none of them would admit any ill goten gains. I consistently work with these people and unreported cash, for instance, in a hidden safe is not out of the ordinary. Just an instance and they respect my confidentiality so I won't name any names but for those who have amassed wealth through entirely ethical and scrupulous means, my hat is off to you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:20 am
LW, Thank you! Just kidding; we're not 'wealthy' by any stretch of the imagination, but we are 'comfortable.' c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:31 am
Yes, let's seperate out the obscenely wealthy from the guilt-free comfortable.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:37 am
Well, I got my ass reamed out for insulting McG -- so I will issue an immediate apology.

Blaming the poor for being poor disgusts me -- and should disgust anyone with even a modicum of empathy for the many people who are poor not because of laziness -- but because the old saw about all men (or people) being born equal is baloney.

Some people never will have the smarts to compete successfully for the money. They will always be the pawn the rich use to make themselves richer while spitting out platitudes about creating jobs and allowing money to "trickle down" to the peons who make their wealth possible.

Some people will never have the disposition to compete successfully for the money. Their sense of dignity and concern for their fellow human being will never allow them to run roughshod over others in order to line their pockets no matter the cost to the rest of humanity - or to any other individual.

My mother was poor and my mother worked like a goddam slave all her life. She did an honest days work -- often for much less than an honest day's pay, because much of the work she did could be done by any other person who had to quit school and go out to work after the third grade -- a condition that afflicted many people of her age and condition when she grew up.

She was poor, but she was proud. And although she didn't have lots of education, she surely was intelligent enough not to look down on others who are less fortunate the way others, with much better educational opportunities, see fit to do.

I find it reprehensible that anyone can be as callous toward the poor as some of the people I've seem posting here, but, following the rules of the site, I guess I have to find a more moderate way to express my scorn.

I'll think of a way.

In the meantime, loathe as I am to do this -- I apologize for my intemperate remarks -- if not with complete sincerity to the object of my anger - certainly for the people who run and participate in this forum. My remarks were ill-advised.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
McGentrix- You wrote:

Quote:
The psychology of failure reject the reality that the fault lies with you, not with those who have realized their dreams.

I think that the problem with that statement is that it is painted with much too broad a brush. It IS true that some people remain poor because of poor choices, but there are probably just as many cases of people who have done their best, but life just did not work out for them.

Frank Apisa- You wrote:

Quote:
Some people will never have the disposition to compete successfully for the money. Their sense of dignity and concern for their fellow human being will never allow them to run roughshod over others in order to line their pockets no matter the cost to the rest of humanity - or to any other individual.

I think that this statment too, is much too broad. The implicit assumption is that the gain of one necessitates the loss to another. I think that is a
very pessimistic outlook concerning your evaluation of humanity. Yes, it is true that SOME people will run over everyone to get what they want, but IMO it is callous to think that most people who make a lot of money do it in that way.

Are you familiar with the concept of win-win?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 11:01 am
Frank, Thank you. You're not the only one that can get hot under the collar; most of us have a sensitive spot that can rile us very easily. I'm no different. I appreciate your apology to McG. You know by now that I'm not a big fan of Mr/s McG, because we disagree on principal on many issues, but I've tried to stay on topic when I participate in any forum he is on. I also agree with you; most poor people do not stay poor from lack of working very hard. You and I have the same background; our mother raised four children on welfare. Our mother was naive about many things, did not have much formal education, but she was stoic. When my siblings and I discuss our mother at our quarterly get-togethers, we are surprised at how she was able to survive through the depression years, during WWII, and after. I have been able to put our 'poorness' into perspective from my many travels around this world. My life has changed from barely enough to eat to our ability to donate to charities that provides food and shelter to the poor. We are indeed 'lucky.' c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 11:12 am
Phoenix wrote:
The implicit assumption is that the gain of one necessitates the loss to another.

In the very long or the very short view, the gain of one absolutely does necessitate the loss to another. Ultimately, there are finite quantities of resources in the world, and a great deal of competition for those resources. Did you know that the past three years are the first since the green revolution in which all of the world's grain, if divided equally between all of the people in world, would not have been adequate to feed them (and this includes grains that are currently fed to livestock)?

Granted, this is a somewhat more macroscopic take on the topic, but it still holds: everybody cannot be wealthy -- or even obtain a standard of living that is generally deemed acceptable in the western world. All material gain ultimately comes at the expense of someone or something.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 11:16 am
Frank, I hold no ill-will, and thanks for standing up like that.

we all have sad stories. My mom grew up on a farm in West Virginia. she never saw indoor plumbing until she was 16. My dad's parents ran a boarding house in the same town. My father was career military and always provided us with what we needed. Me being the youngest, I never really saw the bad times.

I now have made something of myself. I paid (well, am paying) for my own education, I am in the bottom part of middle class, but I feel that I have what I need.
0 Replies