Pentagon: Gay like bedwetting, no mental disorder

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:25 am
Quote:
Pentagon: Being gay isn't mental disorder

By Lolita C. Baldor
Associated Press
Published November 19, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Pentagon guidelines that classified homosexuality as a mental disorder now put it among a list of conditions or "circumstances" that range from bed-wetting to fear of flying.

The new rules are related to the military's retirement practices. The change does not affect the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that prohibits officials from inquiring about the sex lives of service members and requires those who openly acknowledge being gay to be discharged.

The revision came in response to criticism this year when it was discovered that the guidelines listed homosexuality alongside mental retardation and personality disorders.

Mental health professionals said last week that they were not satisfied by the change.

"We appreciate your good-faith effort to address our concern that the document was not medically accurate," James Scully, head of the American Psychiatric Association, wrote David Chu, undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness. "But we remain concerned because we believe that the revised document lacks the clarity necessary to resolve the issue."

The guidelines outline retirement or other discharge policies for service members with physical disabilities. The rules include sections that describe other specific conditions, circumstances and defects that also could lead to retirement but are not physical disabilities.

Among the conditions are stammering or stuttering, dyslexia, sleepwalking, motion sickness, obesity, insect venom allergies and homosexuality.

"More than 30 years after the mental health community declassified homosexuality as a mental disorder, it is disappointing that the Pentagon still continues to mischaracterize it as a `defect,'" said Rep. Marty Meehan (D-Mass.), a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

Pentagon spokeswoman Cynthia Smith said "homosexuality should not have been characterized as a mental disorder. A clarification has been issued."

The psychiatric association declassified homosexuality as a mental disorder in 1973. Questions about the Pentagon's guidelines were raised in June by a research institute at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

There were 726 military members discharged under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy during the budget year that ended Sept. 30.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 919 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:11 pm
Quote:
The guidelines outline retirement or other discharge policies for service members with physical disabilities. The rules include sections that describe other specific conditions, circumstances and defects that also could lead to retirement but are not physical disabilities.

Among the conditions are stammering or stuttering, dyslexia, sleepwalking, motion sickness, obesity, insect venom allergies and homosexuality.

Just highlighting this section for if and when the draft gets reinstated. So far, I'd be disqualified because of three of those conditions and I can easily stretch it to four or five.

Wonder how many congressional and Wallstreet families will suddenly develop a stuttering or stammering condition...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:25 pm
I...I...I don't th..th..think it's such a pppppproblem.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:26 pm
But I doubt many will suddenty become bedwetters!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:35 pm
Yet the insect venom allergy sounds promising, no?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:43 pm
West Nile Virus never looked so good!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 07:46 pm
I see I have to calm down and read this....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:15 am
uuuuuh, uh, uh...... er..... what? Aren't bed-wetting (in adults) and fear of flying mental disorders?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 03:22 pm
Isn't bed-wetting a physical disorder? I thought they lack
control of the muscles - thus incontinence.
0 Replies