Skin rash - allergic reaction to what!?!?!

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:16 pm
Help! I've been repeatedly getting this rash for over a month. It had gone for weeks, but is back today. I originally thought it was either chocolate or something to do with gardening. I've gardened and chocolated since with no ill effects until today.

Symptoms (graphic!), a rash of tiny white-filled blisters across forehead and temples, some occurance on noce, cheecks and chin. No occurance on hands or neck or anywhere else. The skin of my whole face is reddened and tight and as the blisters go away, the skin becomes dry and hard, sort of. It starts and goes away within a few days.

Any ideas? Today I ripped out some mint, privet, maple, and hedge bindweed (morning glory), transplanted a false indigo and pruned some shrubs (can't remember what they're called). Privet and morning glory both have toxic qualities, but nothing I read online indicated this type of reaction.

Other reactions came while working in a different yard all together, I think. Depends on how long it takes for symptoms to appear.

This is frustrating!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 36,072 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:37 pm
I'm sorry to hear you've having this. Weird that it's not on your hands if it has to do with gardening, therefore, I think you can rule out contact dermititis unless you've been wearing gloves.

Does the rash burn or feel itchy? Is the underlying skin swollen and red? There is a form of shingles that is only on the face, but usually it is accompanied by a fever.

Here's a link to a possibility... interesting because the MD's surmise this can be a "sunlight-worsened" dermatitis. (At first I thought you might be describing heat rash, but it would be on more places than just the face.)

http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/Perioral.html

Hope this helps. P
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 10:43 pm
Did you get any scratches or skin punctures on your head or neck?

I had something icky and similar. It was cellulosis. You get a puncture, and bacteria gets in your bloodstream and it can travel and cause a little outbreak of the bumpy things you described in an area near, but not at, the site of the puncture.

It itches. Any other symptoms?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 11:07 pm
I am instantly rashy from leptospermum and buxus...sigh. I think sue (business partner)is allergic to her ivy, though I may be mistaken. So, you scratched your forehead, eh?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 11:28 pm
maybe this? http://www.medical-library.org/journals2a/infintigo.htm

I empathize with you, I was pulling weeds myself and became immersed in poison ivy.

All over my arms, face, eyes, and down my throat.

I know this info will come as good news to some, but if I'm a little short, please understand.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:38 am
littlek- Is this what it looks like?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgCvBDYYQ9El2os4cVmtQFpnzhKfja3Qi2xzrX85MHQDM1JkovekaqQ09W*ra!eoFQlmuCIbei!Sw32SXhl3CftsO3MPzdx5ktGFloJrRTaM0X1KEQci5Q/poison-ivy.bmp?dc=4675426657720029237
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:26 am
Hey everyone! Thanks for all your info.

Piffka - it's actually not around my mouth at all. It's vaguely itchy, but the itch is not overwhelming. The underlying skin is not at all swollen, but a little red. I wasn't wearing gloves, but I washed my hands and forearms thoroughly after working out there (trying to prevent the re-occurance). Sunlight maybe part of this reaction.

Sofia - No puntures or scratches on anything but my hands.

Osso - I brush my hair from my forehead a lot while gardening, so I tend to put my hair back now. When I came inside and washed my hands, I thought about washing my face too. But, at someone else's house it just feels akward to do.

Max - there is no crusting over of pustules at all. I can scrape off the superficial nasties with my finger nail and they're gone - poof! Poison ivy doesn't usually get me down at all - sounds like you have a bad reaction to it!

Phoenix - sort of, but too me that looks like an infected scratch.

I'll look at some more websites......

I'll check out shingles, ivy, leptospermum and buxus
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:32 am
littlek- There are little blisters on top of the reddened area.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:33 am
The norway maple is listed as a skin irritant. I was cutting out a lot of that weedy tree. But I couldn't find details.....

Quote:
The pollen of some Acer species has been known to cause certain types of dermatitis. The Norway and Sugar maple can give humans rashes due to allergic reactions
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:34 am
Call it a perfectly stupid question but....have u seen a doctor ?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:07 am
Hey k what are you doing? Gosh yeah, if it keeps up..go see a doc!

Hope its better, or you at least narrow it down a bit...with all you've been doing, thats a bit hard.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 10:38 am
Doesn't really sound like a contact allergy. A woman at work had a skin condition that looked like what you are describing. After waiting 2 weeks she went to the dr. and found out she needed an antibiotic, and the stuff cleared up in less than 24 hours.

dr.,dr.,dr. (and you know how much i hate the dr.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 11:26 am
Yeah, I got a rash myself.

All over the area of lower legs where my socks touch my skin. (Not on the soles of my feet, thank...ah...whoever.)

Funny thing -- although it is an angry red -- it really doesn't itch at all.

I hate going to the doctor -- so I'm just living with it. It's been with me for 4 days now -- and seems to be going away. Once it is gone -- who needs a doctor.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 04:12 pm
Quote:
Symptoms (graphic!), a rash of tiny white-filled blisters across forehead and temples, some occurance on noce, cheecks and chin. No occurance on hands or neck or anywhere else. The skin of my whole face is reddened and tight and as the blisters go away, the skin becomes dry and hard, sort of. It starts and goes away within a few days.

LittleK, I had a very similar thing happen. A couple weeks ago we had quite hot weather, and I did some yard work every day. I put on sunscreen and didn't stay out long at one time. The skin of my lower face did what you describe. It was like orange peel, with tiny blisters under a hardened skin... It wasn't a sunburn, but it felt like it was going to peel like one. Now it's gone.

Several years ago I tried a face cream made with alpha-hydroxy acids. It did the same thing, and when my skin recovered it was nice and smooth and new-looking, but I decided that was a rough way to go. Whatever this more recent thing was acted the same way. Combination of sunscreen and perspiration? I don't know...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:26 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Yeah, I got a rash myself.

All over the area of lower legs where my socks touch my skin. (Not on the soles of my feet, thank...ah...whoever.)

Funny thing -- although it is an angry red -- it really doesn't itch at all.

I hate going to the doctor -- so I'm just living with it. It's been with me for 4 days now -- and seems to be going away. Once it is gone -- who needs a doctor.

Frank - my dad gets that. He thinks very much that it's from playing golf on the course just after they've used a fertilizer/weedkiller on the grass - been to any treated greenery? It get's trapped, somehow,under the socks and the contact is prolonged.....?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:27 pm
Wy - I didn't use sunscreen. Did you cut back any maples?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
No, I haven't seen a doctor and I won't for this specifically. I'll bring it up when I go for my yearly (I'm prolly past due anyway).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:00 pm
And.... I did use sunblock today, did some work in the sun, did not handle maples - my face is a-ok. Well, there's no rash on my face.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
The first thought that came into mind was pollen. It could be any type of allergy, but the best bet is to go see your doc. c.i.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:42 pm
Littlek -- no, wisteria and grass so tall it was blooming...

FrankA -- my dad had a rash like that. He was allergic to the dye in socks, and had to wear white ones only.
0 Replies