Is 7 or 8 too young to see an orthodontist?

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:38 am
Several months ago my daughter's dentist suggested we see an orthodontist as her bite seemed off. She only has one adult tooth completely in, another is not fully in yet (her front top teeth). Her two bottom front teeth are loose.

When we went the orthodontist simply looked at her teeth (basically 5 minutes) and said it was too soon to tell if she needed any work and I should make an appointment for 6 months. I asked if it was too soon as she only has those two adult teeth. He responded typically the do not do anything until at least the four adult teeth are in, but it is always easier to correct problems earlier rather than later.

As far as money, it isn't an issue as my insurance covers these appointments. However, I don't have the time and can't understand the purpose of getting out of work early and carting my children around to another appointment that isn't necessary. Do you think they are just trying to get more money out of the insurance company? I may try to call another orthodontist (not sure if I have to get a referral from the dentist first though) to see their opinion. Also, my insurance only covers certain dentists 100% so if I go elsewhere I may have to foot the bill.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,222 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:42 am
My neighbor is 7 and she has -- uh, something orthodontic going on. I'm not completely clear on what it is, though I've had it explained to me (didn't catch everything, lipreading-wise). Something about overbite, that thumbsucking got things out of whack.

Anyway, she definitely has some sort of orthodontic device that she has to wear -- I can't remember if she only wears it sometimes or it's not visible, behind the teeth. (Nothing is obvious to look at her.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
My younger son inherited my big, blue myopic eyes and my conspicuous overbite. Starting at age 11, I had to wear braces for four years and needed considerable repair work done on the teeth after the braces were removed.

When my son was eight years old, the orthodontist pulled nine baby teeth and made enough room for the permanent teeth to come in straight.

My parents spent thousands of dollars on my overbite in the '50s. My son's corrective work was probably $200, in the '70's. Undoubtedly there have been improvements in the last 40 years.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:53 am
I'd follow your dentist's lead, assuming you trust/like your dentist. Some kids start orthodonture work at an early age and some, like your daughter, start orthodonture observation. Did you choose your own orthodontist or was it one recommended by your dentist? Regardless, with a child that has a potential for a long term relationship with her orthodontist, I'd make sure it is one that you can both get along well with.

We interviewed a few orthodontists in our area for my oldest daughter because she tends to be anxious and highly sensitive. One of the ones we interviewed told me that all orthodontists in our area are well trained and highly qualified and what we needed to look for is one who met our needs in terms of schedule, location, and personality. In our case personality was higher on the list than schedule or location and we chose accordingly.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:02 pm
JPB wrote:
I'd follow your dentist's lead, assuming you trust/like your dentist. Some kids start orthodonture work at an early age and some, like your daughter, start orthodonture observation. Did you choose your own orthodontist or was it one recommended by your dentist? Regardless, with a child that has a potential for a long term relationship with her orthodontist, I'd make sure it is one that you can both get along well with.

We interviewed a few orthodontists in our area for my oldest daughter because she tends to be anxious and highly sensitive. One of the ones we interviewed told me that all orthodontists in our area are well trained and highly qualified and what we needed to look for is one who met our needs in terms of schedule, location, and personality. In our case personality was higher on the list than schedule or location and we chose accordingly.

Good luck!

Thanks all - my daughter too is a nervous nelly. She did seem to like this particular orthodontist. He was very nice and gentle with an easy manner about him.

The dentist I don't know well. She goes some where that has many dentists in the office and the dentists frequently change. There are only certain dentists that are covered 100% under our insurance and this particular dentist office does have visits on Saturday. They recommended this particular orthodontist.

I guess the thing the concerned me was when I asked the question - to him - does it make sense for her to come at this point where she doesn't have many adult teeth and his response was - typically we do not do anything or see children before all 4 front adult teeth are in. So I thought coming in another 6 months would be a waste - especially where I would have to take time off from work - of course if it was necessary I would.

My husband went to an orthodontist in the area that he liked alot - my husband would want them to see him instead, however, I don't think he is a preferred provider so we would have to pay (at least a portion).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
Maybe the idea was that the other two adult teeth could emerge by then? Sozlet takes forever with these things -- teeth are loose for months and months before they fall out -- but I know kids who have the whole thing (loose to lost to new tooth) happen very fast, certainly within 6 months.

I agree with JPB though to first find someone you trust, then go from there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
Maybe the idea was that the other two adult teeth could emerge by then? Sozlet takes forever with these things -- teeth are loose for months and months before they fall out -- but I know kids who have the whole thing (loose to lost to new tooth) happen very fast, certainly within 6 months.

I agree with JPB though to first find someone you trust, then go from there.

Yeah my daughter takes months to loose those dang things. Her front teeth have been loose forever. I don't see them following out anytime soon.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:35 pm
My son started seeing an orthodontist at age 4. He has his dad's giant healthy teeth and my little jaw. Basically he went every year for a look see but we were told braces etc were inevitable and we started saving like mad as our dental insurance was not very comprehensive. At 12 he started having permanent (permanent!) teeth removed (4 in all) and that was all it took. At 14 we were told that braces weren't recommended because so many kids end up with cavities and his bite was already almost orthodontically perfect. He had all his wisdom teeth out at 18 and has a gorgeous smile now. The idea of pulling perfectly healthy permanent teeth was a little scarey but he simply didn't have room for them all.
0 Replies

AndrewFerrol

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 11:47 pm
I believe the median age for straightening teeth is somewhere between 11 and 11½.
0 Replies