Who Lost Iraq?

Advocate

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:30 am
MC said:

"I said that the war in Iraq is proceeding splendidly abroad, but is being underminded here at home by traitorists [sic] and liberals."

I now understand you. Our failures are due to the media and Clinton.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:48 pm
kickycan wrote:

Your blindness to your own hypocrisy is astounding. You asked for ideas, and I gave you one. I didn't say whether I was for or against it, I was just answering your idiotic accusation that everyone is bashing poor little Georgie without bringing any other ideas to the table. Barak has brought one. You bashed it. And why? Because...hmmm...let me see...oh yeah, because he's a liberal.

What a dick.

Besides, I thought you conservatives liked it when people stick to their guns. The moron-in-chief hasn't changed his one-note symphony of stupidity in six years, and you seem to just love that. I guess you only like it when it suits your delusion du jour.

Have a lovely day, Ms. Coulter.

First order of response, KickyCan, is as long as you refer to me as Ms. Coulter, I'm telling everyone that behind your tough-looking avatar, this is your TRUE identity! Yes, folks KickyCan is actually... Ethel Mertz!
http://tvphotogalleries.com/data/669/1ill19.jpg
All right. Down to business. Let's cut the B.S. and deal with Barak's speech.

Obama Barak is a smart enough guy who's definitely going places. He's a very likeable and charismatic candidate. As a matter of fact, his personality shines so much, his personality can overshadow what he is actually saying and doing. He is the consumate politician. This is that gift of gab that Bill Clinton has.

Let's look at the opening paragraph in the Chicago Tribune's article:
Quote:
Amid intense speculation about whether he will run for president, Sen. Barack Obama on Monday used the spotlight to showcase his strategy for the war in Iraq, excoriating the Bush administration for its 'misguided' war and describing a solution that includes dialogue with hostile nations in the region.

As I read it Barak had two main points as the centerposts of his speech at the Hilton. One point is that we hold dialog with hostile countries. The other is that Syria, Iran & Iraq hold talks to hammer something out. There are a few other sidepoints, mainly that he disagrees with Biden's idea and doesn't support the draft.

On Barak's First Point:I disagree entirely. That's exactly what Bill Clinton did when he attempted to broker a peace acord between Israel and the PLO. I went into the results in detail in another post but after Israel offered Arafat everything that Arafat asked for, including unconditional withdrawal from the West Bank and Gaza with a complete cease fire. Arafat laughed at Bill Clinton and walked out on the talks.

Carter went to North Korea to hold direct talks with Kim Jong-Il, for which Carter received the Nobel Peace Prize. While everyone was celebrating and patting themselves on the back, North Korea built nuclear weapons.

If I acted like a dick over this article, it's because Obama Barak brings up the U.S. talking with Syria and Iran, the exercise is useless because in that part of the world, force is the only thing that these governments understand. That too sounds pretty crass, but behind the conclusion is the long history of experience with mid-eastern countries. As long as the U.S. shows any support for Israel, we will be these Arab countries' enemies. There are some exceptions or semi-exceptions as in the case of the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Jordan and Pakistan to a very small extent. That makes Barak's rosy statements excellent campaign material but well naive or disingenuous, from a historic viewpoint.

Having "dialog with hostile nations" is what the toothless United Nations is all about. How effective was all the dialog with Saddam Hussein? How effective was all the dialog with Kim Jong-Il?

Funny enough, I heard this weekend that Iraq has been invited to share in summit talks with Iran and Syria. Here was the *one* specific that Obama Barak mentioned in the speech and I have no idea how that is going to turn out. If it turns out well, I may change my point of view about Barak and actually consider him usefully intelligent instead of just the same old left viewpoint in a slick package.

...and please don't forget to give Mr. Mertz my regards.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:59 pm
McTag wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
Advocate wrote:
I think I now understand what MC was saying. He thinks that the Bush administration is made up of traitorists and liberals who lost the war. I would describe them as moronic neocons.

No, you obviously don't understand what I am saying. I said that the war in Iraq is proceeding splendidly abroad.....

It is?

Let's apologise to Mr Rumsfeld, and bring him back.

First, the official transcription of events is that Rumsfeld resigned, not that he was let go, so we couldn't bring him back if we wanted because it was his choice. We may never know if he left of his own acord or was urged to resign in lieu of being replaced.

Rummy may have been hanging around until the returns were in and may have stayed if the House and Senate remained republican dominated. With all of the discussion of oversight and investigations, Rummy may just not have wanted to deal with that in this stage.

But, acknowledging that most of the free world thinks he was cut loose, the reason Rummy may have been cut loose could be more for his freight-train manner of communication than any question of competency of his decisions. The jury on Rumsfeld is that he would roll over people, whether he was dealing with the Pentagon here or the war room with the generals. Bush realizes that he faces an uphill battle with a democratically controlled Congress and that Iraq is a large issue. An equally capable but more diplomatic defense secretary might hold just the ticket.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:40 am
blatham wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
blatham wrote:
Come on, MC. I have (dwindling) hopes you'll take some care with these matters. Your response immediately above re the title of this thread just avoids the discussion/debate that leads up this thread...that is, the AEI and neoconservative individuals who designed and pushed the policy ideas which provided impetus and rational for the project of attacking Iraq who now seek to attribute blame for the negative progress of the project. Those people aren't anti-war.

Please try a bit harder.

There are two ways of seeing the current situation in Iraq. One way is to see the increase levels of violence and the call to end the "Iraq Quagmire" as proof of Bush incompetency and confirmation that toppling Saddam was in itself, too consequential in its destablizing influence on the ME.

The other way of seeing the current levels of violence in Iraq is to appreciate the increased violence, not as proof that the Iraq invasion was a mistake, but as a condition which must be countered with decisive military measures, including confronting Iran and preventing further bloodshed in the short run, while steering the factions toward a resolution to share power. I stop short of Biden's suggestion to geographically divide Iraq into three separate provinces or countries, because that will just provide the Sunnis and the Iranians with more well-defined targets.

Of course, the second paragraph here represents a complete avoidance of reflection on the prudence of decisions made which have led to the present situation. And it absolutely avoids accountability. You relieve yourself and the administration through past and future of any possible blame/failure with the implicit notion that all we can do - the only positive option open - is to continue barging forward regardless of all else. The "all else" being limited, it seems, to nothing more substantial than leftist media whining about stuff. Any other "else" (perhaps another half million or million dead, millions of kids and women blown to ****, american kids who won't be able to wipe their own ass ever again, increasing recruitment against the west, etc etc) is just stuff needing to be barged through. Forward, never reverse, no matter what. Is there any imaginable point of degradation of affairs where you would say "reverse"?

As to some version of the "3 state" Biden proposal (convincingly argued for by Galbraith and others as possible if complex option)...maybe. Forwarding valuable ideas on that requires a level of familiarity, experience and learning which I won't approach in this life.

As to your earlier post on Ricks etc... you play a game there I'm hoping you will cease playing because it has no more value than watching the Hatfields and McCoys piss at each other across the creek. You tempered your post later, but why engage as you first did? You demonstrate some knowledge of Ricks' book (but mis-state the content in what you limit the subject matter to) yet fall to a silly ad hominem response. And dishonestly in that, failing to mention that he covered the Pentagon for the WSJ for seventeen years. You compare his work to Coulter (at least for supposed rhetorical gain) framing how we ought to evaluate the worth of reporting/writing/commentary/thinking merely on the basis of partisan allegiance. One could compare Dowd to Coulter, but not Ricks.

Let me know if you agree with my last sentence here. You're a smart fellow and it would be nice to have you around for the thought-provoking challenges you are capable of presenting. But if you don't agree with my last sentence above, I'm not going to bother.

Blatham, I originally planned to spend the most time answering your post, but I gave KickyCan a badgering last time and felt I owed a more thoughtful reply since good ideas for dealing with the remainder of this Iraq War deserves some consideration.

Funny that the article I was mentioning of K.C.'s ties in to the three-state idea of Biden's. It's just not an idea that a Bush-loving republican rejects out of hand, as it turns out, Barak Obama also suggested it was not a good idea, if it was suggested by the United States. Funny also that the three nation summit talks are on the table as we speak.

I completely agree with the Hatfield/McCoy analogy. Perhaps that's why I included a comment that conceded Thomas Ricks be given some chance when he stated that he would like to see the U.S. win this war. Just as a FYI, Blatham, The Wall Street Journal is not a conservative publication. It is split between being a liberal and a conservative publication. Its news articles are liberal and its editorial section is conservative.

Quote:
Paul Sperry, in an article titled the "Myth of the Conservative Wall Street Journal," notes that the news division of the Journal sometimes calls the editorial division "Nazis.""Fact is," Sperry writes, "the Journal's news and editorial departments are as politically polarized as North and South Korea." (Source).

So, I have a basis upon which to suspect Ricks' reference point, while you have a basis to desire that Ricks' entire book not become summarily dismissed for this reason. For the record, I think Ann Coulter's usefulness in terms of the entire Iraq War is probably limited to punctuating fallacies in some of the democratic leaders' behavior and offering interesting commentary.

Your point regarding merely charging ahead is well taken. The philosophy of "Tough, we can lose a war every now and then", however, is much too unacceptable and cavalier to stomach with respect to our position relative to the rest of the world and the memories of the fallen soldiers and Iraquis that have already given their lives. This is not your POV or Ricks' POV, but is the essence of cut & run policy as distinguished from the first statement of the paragraph.

Admittedly I have not read this book, and it appears as if you have, so be so kind as to transcribe a few of the best ideas. I have read a few of Ricks' columns and found them worthy of attention.

I realize Blatham that this may be too tall of an order for you. Behind the attack in your first paragraph that I am all too gung ho to continue the war, the stronger position of your post lies underneath this rant. I think that this is not necessarily about as much I refuse to look at backing off the war as you refuse to look at anything except for backing off the war. Are there ideas Ricks' book puts forth for winning that someone can sink their teeth into? Is Ricks' book more of an analysis with recommendations or is it a case to withdraw from Iraq because the condition is so degraded, as you commented in the beginning of your post?

I know that win, lose or draw, Bush will begin withdrawing troops, and that this time next year, there will be only a small fraction of the troops there that are there now. The main difference I see is the philosophy between the administration and the antiwar democrats and republicans. The antiwar group inexplicably wants the president to define a strict timetable for withdrawal and Bush does not want to define a timetable.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:19 am
Monte Cargo wrote:
McTag wrote:
Monte Cargo wrote:
Advocate wrote:
I think I now understand what MC was saying. He thinks that the Bush administration is made up of traitorists and liberals who lost the war. I would describe them as moronic neocons.

No, you obviously don't understand what I am saying. I said that the war in Iraq is proceeding splendidly abroad.....

It is?

Let's apologise to Mr Rumsfeld, and bring him back.

First, the official transcription of events is that Rumsfeld resigned, not that he was let go, so we couldn't bring him back if we wanted because it was his choice. We may never know if he left of his own acord or was urged to resign in lieu of being replaced.

Rummy may have been hanging around until the returns were in and may have stayed if the House and Senate remained republican dominated. With all of the discussion of oversight and investigations, Rummy may just not have wanted to deal with that in this stage.

But, acknowledging that most of the free world thinks he was cut loose, the reason Rummy may have been cut loose could be more for his freight-train manner of communication than any question of competency of his decisions. The jury on Rumsfeld is that he would roll over people, whether he was dealing with the Pentagon here or the war room with the generals. Bush realizes that he faces an uphill battle with a democratically controlled Congress and that Iraq is a large issue. An equally capable but more diplomatic defense secretary might hold just the ticket.

All of which nonsense misses the point, which is that the "war" in Iraq is not proceeding splendidly, it is in complete disarray.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:23 am
Quote:
All of which nonsense misses the point, which is that the "war" in Iraq is not proceeding splendidly, it is in complete disarray.

bingo
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 08:17 am
MC

Loverly. I was pretty certain there were possible grounds here for a cargo-cult.

Quote:
The Wall Street Journal is not a conservative publication. It is split between being a liberal and a conservative publication. Its news articles are liberal and its editorial section is conservative.
Yup, I know, though the division isn't quite so clear as your sentence suggests. And such variation applies to almost all major papers as well. On multiple occasions here, I have posted quotes from folks like Bill Kristol and Pat Buchannan fessing up that "liberal media" is a notion less true than it is effective politically..."working the refs" is Buchannan's appropriate description. That's a big discussion and I don't want to have it again. But we can proceed valuably just given the agreement that an ad hominem is a logical fallacy which prevents thoughtfulness.

Quote:
So, I have a basis upon which to suspect Ricks' reference point, while you have a basis to desire that Ricks' entire book not become summarily dismissed for this reason.{/QUOTE]
Yes. Here's an example of where we have to use criteria other than left/right or support for Bush/doesn't support Bush to wend our way through towards valuable analyses. And those will be the good scholarship, good reportage criteria...accuracy, depth, thorough citations, presentation of multiple viewpoints, etc. Krauthammer, for example, writes polemic but Ricks does not. He deserves a Pulitzer for this work and I suspect he'll get one. I hope you'll read it. I truly don't think you'll find it without great worth. Unfortunately I can't transcribe for you as I gave my copy to Thomas when he was here visiting from the land of his teutonic nazi ancestors.
Quote:
Your point regarding merely charging ahead is well taken. The philosophy of "Tough, we can lose a war every now and then", however, is much too unacceptable and cavalier to stomach with respect to our position relative to the rest of the world and the memories of the fallen soldiers and Iraquis that have already given their lives. This is not your POV or Ricks' POV, but is the essence of cut & run policy as distinguished from the first statement of the paragraph.

The problem is, "cavalier" can also be attached to a policy which has the consequence of further (avoidable) deaths and mutilations of americans and others. We both estimate, based on the information and ideas we hold, what probable consequences might fall from various policies. I do not think that American military/economic dominance as forwarded by the AEI crowd (not allowing any possible competitor to get to a stage where US hegemony might be challenged) is either realistically possible or morally acceptable. I expect Lincoln would have found the idea completely repugnant and foolishly short-sighted. "The only thing they understand is force" will be, inevitably, reflected back against America.

Quote:
I think that this is not necessarily about as much I refuse to look at backing off the war as you refuse to look at anything except for backing off the war. Are there ideas Ricks' book puts forth for winning that someone can sink their teeth into? Is Ricks' book more of an analysis with recommendations or is it a case to withdraw from Iraq because the condition is so degraded, as you commented in the beginning of your post?.

My pacifism isn't an absolute (I reject absolutes as blinding simplicities, which is why I reject the "barge on no matter what" idea). I accepted the rationale for hitting the Taliban in Afghanistan. I did not accept the rationale(s) for Iraq. Rick's book is an analysis of the progress of the war; the strategies, tactics, personalities, mistakes, successes, etc. Much of it draws from the Pentagon's and civilian authoritie's own analyses of situations. Military people in Iraq, mostly at command level, are quoted voluminously throughout the book. What might be done in the future comprises the merest portion of what he writes about.
Quote:
I know that win, lose or draw, Bush will begin withdrawing troops, and that this time next year, there will be only a small fraction of the troops there that are there now. The main difference I see is the philosophy between the administration and the antiwar democrats and republicans. The antiwar group inexplicably wants the president to define a strict timetable for withdrawal and Bush does not want to define a timetable..

I truly do not know what Bush and his people want to do. They appear to be from quite a different planet than mine. I do consider that electoral considerations will trump - they are at least that predictable.
If you were to have asked me what I would do, I wouldn't have a good answer for you. There are things I know I would NOT do, and the first of that list would be to not trust this particular administration (and the neoconservative folks in the background) to suddenly cease phucking up.
A pleasure talking with you, MC.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 08:52 am
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
I truly do not know what Bush and his people want to do. They appear to be from quite a different planet than mine.

Have you seen this story over here about the poisoning of the Russian dissident and the gigantic fuss there is going on. An attack on New York's water supply with that stuff would make 9/11 look small potatoes.

You, we, all know about it now. Maybe the other planet was the one Mr Bush was on 4 years ago. Suicide bombers are really something else these days and they have shown how many they can get. There's even a Granny-shame on them- took the plunge.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 09:47 am
Iraq is imploding with sectarian warfare, with the USA in the middle. If we are perceived as favoring one side or the other, we will be targeted as never before. Remember Lebanon?

So the question is what do we do now is this new Iraqi war?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:12 am
Leaving Iraq, Honorably

By Chuck Hagel
Sunday, November 26, 2006; Page B07

There will be no victory or defeat for the United States in Iraq. These terms do not reflect the reality of what is going to happen there. The future of Iraq was always going to be determined by the Iraqis -- not the Americans.

Iraq is not a prize to be won or lost. It is part of the ongoing global struggle against instability, brutality, intolerance, extremism and terrorism. There will be no military victory or military solution for Iraq. Former secretary of state Henry Kissinger made this point last weekend.

The time for more U.S. troops in Iraq has passed. We do not have more troops to send and, even if we did, they would not bring a resolution to Iraq. Militaries are built to fight and win wars, not bind together failing nations. We are once again learning a very hard lesson in foreign affairs: America cannot impose a democracy on any nation -- regardless of our noble purpose.

We have misunderstood, misread, misplanned and mismanaged our honorable intentions in Iraq with an arrogant self-delusion reminiscent of Vietnam. Honorable intentions are not policies and plans. Iraq belongs to the 25 million Iraqis who live there. They will decide their fate and form of government.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/24/AR2006112401104.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 10:58 am
spendius wrote:
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
I truly do not know what Bush and his people want to do. They appear to be from quite a different planet than mine.

Have you seen this story over here about the poisoning of the Russian dissident and the gigantic fuss there is going on. An attack on New York's water supply with that stuff would make 9/11 look small potatoes.

You, we, all know about it now. Maybe the other planet was the one Mr Bush was on 4 years ago. Suicide bombers are really something else these days and they have shown how many they can get. There's even a Granny-shame on them- took the plunge.

Slipshod, spendie. And lazy. And dishonest (polonium 210, available everywhere and you just tuck it in the back pocket of those tasteless plaid pants like the nasty foreigners buy for cheap, for phuck sakes). Fear-mongering of this sort doesn't become you. Not to mention your handy amnesia re Bush's spiritual X-ray vision into Putin's heart.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:48 pm
I see where Hagel speaks to our "honorable intentions" in Iraq. You mean it was honorable for Bush to lie our way into a war there to steal their oil and gain political capital?

The Republicans still don't get it.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
blatham wrote:
spendius wrote:
Bernie wrote-

Quote:

Slipshod, spendie. And lazy. And dishonest (polonium 210, available everywhere and you just tuck it in the back pocket of those tasteless plaid pants like the nasty foreigners buy for cheap, for phuck sakes). Fear-mongering of this sort doesn't become you. Not to mention your handy amnesia re Bush's spiritual X-ray vision into Putin's heart.

Not so fast, Blatham.

Here's an excerpt from the NYT article this morning:
Quote:
"This is wild," said Dr. F. Lee Cantrell, a toxicologist and director of the San Diego division of the California Poison Control System. "To my knowledge, it's never been employed as a poison before. And it's such an obscure thing. It's not easy to get. That's going to be something like the K.G.B. would have in some secret facility or something."

and...

Quote:
"To most chemists, this is astonishing," said Dr. Andrea Sella, a lecturer in inorganic chemistry at London's University College. "This is not available commercially. It is present in food, but only in the kind of trace quantities that can be detected by ultrasensitive analytical techniques. It is one of the rarest elements on the earth's crust and also one of the most exotic."
(Source)
He added: "This is not the kind of weapon that any kind of amateur could construct. It would require real resources to do it."

Here's a little background on the substance:
Quote:
Polonium was discovered by Marie Sklodowska Curie, a Polish chemist, in 1898. She obtained polonium from pitchblende, a material that contains uranium, after noticing that unrefined pitchblende was more radioactive than the uranium that was separated from it. She reasoned that pitchblende must contain at least one other radioactive element. Curie needed to refine several tons of pitchblende in order to obtain tiny amounts of polonium and radium, another radioactive element discovered by Curie. One ton of uranium ore contains only about 100 micrograms (0.0001 grams) of polonium.

Due to its scarcity, polonium is usually produced by bombarding bismuth-209 with neutrons in a nuclear reactor. This forms bismuth-210, which has a half-life of 5 days. Bismuth-210 decays into polonium-210 through beta decay. Milligram amounts of polonium-210 have been produced by this method.

Polonium-210 is a very strong emitter of alpha particles. A single gram of polonium-210 creates 140 Watts of heat energy and is being considered as a lightweight heat source for thermoelectric power for spacecraft. Polonium-210 has a half-life of 138.39 days.

Polonium's most stable isotope, polonium-209, has a half-life of 102 years. It decays into lead-205 through alpha decay. Polonium-209 is available from Oak Ridge National Laboratory at the cost of about $3200 per microcurie.

(Source)
Understanding this peculiar use of scientific jargo, here's some more scientific jargon:

One disintegration per second (dps) is called a "becquerel".
Thus one curie is 37 billion (37,000,000,000) becquerels.
A microcurie is one millionth of a curie, or 37,000 becquerels.
A picocurie is a trillionth of a curie; that is, 0.037 becquerels.
(Source)

Polonium is a carcinogen, a mutagen, and a teratogen.

Also, Spendius' suspicions of governmental culpability are not without foundation.

Russian assasinations are up. It was just last month that an investigative Russian reporter, Anna Politkoyskaya, who was critical of the Russian's policy on Chechnya, was gunned down outside her apartment.

Two coincidences?
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:00 pm
Advocate wrote:
I see where Hagel speaks to our "honorable intentions" in Iraq. You mean it was honorable for Bush to lie our way into a war there to steal their oil and gain political capital?

The Republicans still don't get it.

We were getting to your posted article from Chuck Hagel. The sole existence of an antiwar position from a republican does not necessarily make these statements from the rogue senator correct.

If the United States wanted to steal Iraq's oil (one of the oldest, most trite and disproven arguments), why not just go and steal the oil? We are the world's most heavily armed superpower. For the money involved, we could justify sending ten times the amount of military and mercinary reinforcements, with a threat to nuke any country that was found to be interfering with American plans.

Political capital? Bush was considered lucky to have won re-election in 2004 given the unpopularity of the Iraq situation. Political capital is exactly what would lead this president to withdraw from Iraq, not continue in Iraq.

There are good reasons to oppose this war and any war. I must say that this post of your's reflects a colossal lack of originality any feasability, and is without foundation, fact or competence.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:04 pm
Bernie-

It is precisely that polonium 210 is not available anywhere and is not tucked into the pocket that is causing the concern.

You don't think they are bothered about a Russian dissident do you?

PS- It would help your case if you refrained from the assertions. Particulary the simple ones. They rather lower the tone don't you think?

COBRA has been in continuous session for two days.

Someone said the stuff was 2 billion times as poisonous as arsenic.

I wasn't scare mongering at all. I toned it down. There hasn't been much else on the news these last two days. They have impounded all the utensils from a restaurant where the poisoning might have taken place for a start. Then there's the posh hotel and the guys house and the ward where he was treated. Oh loads of stuff. Expert after expert is being trundled on.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:06 pm
MC

My (poorly educated) guess would be that Putin and crowd are taking up old tricks again. There appears to be an increasing criminality in the power structure of modern Russia now, likely driven by lust for wealth/power rather than the earlier ideological/power motivation. I'd be quite surprised if this assassination, and that of the writer previously, hadn't been orchestrated by the government. I'd love to sit down with Gorbachev and hear his views on all this.

spendi is something of a cherished friend and he doesn't piss me off too often, but he did with that one. In no small part because we have been so remiss over the last decade re helping them account for, round up and dispose of loose nuke materials.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:14 pm
spendius wrote:
Bernie-

It is precisely that polonium 210 is not available anywhere and is not tucked into the pocket that is causing the concern.

You don't think they are bothered about a Russian dissident do you?

PS- It would help your case if you refrained from the assertions. Particulary the simple ones. They rather lower the tone don't you think?

COBRA has been in continuous session for two days.

Someone said the stuff was 2 billion times as poisonous as arsenic.

I wasn't scare mongering at all. I toned it down. There hasn't been much else on the news these last two days. They have impounded all the utensils from a restaurant where the poisoning might have taken place for a start. Then there's the posh hotel and the guys house and the ward where he was treated. Oh loads of stuff. Expert after expert is being trundled on.

So, what on earth is your point, spendi? That there are serious toxins in the world? No kidding. Your implication attaching this compound to terrorists was fear-mongering. And dishonest in that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:17 pm
Come on Bernie-

Surely you can see the route stuff like that might travel on from a nuclear research facility or a cyclotron. It's dead easy to transport as a salt (nitrate seems most likely) and minute doses cause long term illnesses of a fatal nature.

One might not even need to use it. One might just phone in to say one had.

Allow your imagination a little scope.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:25 pm
The point I was making, and made clearly enough in the first post mentioning this case, was that Mr Bush would have been aware of things like that long before they became known to us.

That he was on planet Vigilance whilst we were all on planet Complacent Ego Preen from the beginning.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:51 pm
Advocate, not many Dems will doubt our honorable intentions in Iraq and neither will most mainstream media.
0 Replies