Run that body down

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:33 am
JPB wrote:
msolga wrote:
Actually, I went this afternoon .....

And discovered I have a high blood pressure reading!

High blood pressure?

Confused

Never had that in my life!

Sad

However, I'm told that it could be an unusual, temporary result brought on by stress.

(Yep. That could be!)

... but all the same ....

Sad

High high or sorta high? If it's only sorta high then diet and destressing might bring it back under control. Did he put you on meds?

He took it twice, JPB.
Looking disconcertingly concerned because it seemed "high".
I didn't think to ask the actual reading at the time. But I definitely will when I return for the next visit & compare them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:40 am
Tai Chi wrote:
Only once had worryingly high blood pressure. We had gone to a local mall so my teenage sons could buy CD's. I wandered off and got caught up in some health initiative where they measured my blood pressure and it was through the roof. It had always been great; what could have happened? And then I remembered -- my older teen with his brand new learner's permit had driven us to the mall...

These days it's fine and I figure it's the t'ai chi -- that's why I'm such a fan.

I'm hoping my reading is the equivalent of yours, after your response to the learner's permit test incident, Tai. :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:45 am
Letty wrote:
Take your own blood pressure:

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure-chart.gif

Thanks for this, Letty.
I will refer to it after the next visit to my doctor.
It may well be of use to others here, too.

Can you guess the first thing I did after returning home after that vist?
Straight onto Wikipedia!: "the causes & treatment of high blood pressure".

:wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:57 am
So today I went back to work .... feeling a considerably better, actually.

After a lot of thinking last night, it just seemed to me that there were too many things one had to do .... far too many to do well.
Maybe I'll have to do something really sensible & practical? ... like work out a priority list: those things that have to be done extremely well & those which can to be done well enough. There isn't enough time in the day to do all of them as well as I'd like to, I'm afraid.

Hmmmm .... & also take a long, hard look at my approach to life!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:09 am
Strange. I turned up at work this morning & every other person in my department looked as tired & frazzled as I'd felt yesterday. Surprised We are not a terribly close lot (collectively) but I told them why I'd been away & how I'd felt yesterday. Perhaps not surprisingly, everyone said they felt exactly the same! I'm not being dramatic here, but this is by far the toughest working environment I've experienced in some time. It is tough there. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing that my contract expires soon, despite my worries about finding other work?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:10 am
Several years ago (10, maybe), I went to a new (to me) ob/gyn for the routine tests, stressful enough in itself, at least for me. On top of that, I remember being really upset about something just before I left the house. This new guy took my BP as part of his exam and it was through the roof, something like 200/135.

I talked to my family doctor when I got home 'cause I was terrified, and he told me to stop by the office when I'm feeling relaxed and calm and we'd sort it out. I did a day or two later, and my BP was normal.

It happened to me again a year ago, different circumstances, but ...

So it happens, msolga and doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. I'm still here and not on any medication for blood pressure.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:14 am
That's very reassuring, mac.

Thank you.

And I'm glad you're still here, minus those medications! Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:33 am
*Lines up behind msolga for a massage*
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:48 am
msolga wrote:
Strange. I turned up at work this morning & every other person in my department looked as tired & frazzled as I'd felt yesterday. Surprised We are not a terribly close lot (collectively) but I told them why I'd been away & how I'd felt yesterday. Perhaps not surprisingly, everyone said they felt exactly the same! I'm not being dramatic here, but this is by far the toughest working environment I've experienced in some time. It is tough there. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing that my contract expires soon, despite my worries about finding other work?

Indeed!

What do you think makes it especially difficult where you are, Msolga?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:50 am
dadpad wrote:
*Lines up behind msolga for a massage*

Thanks, dadpad!

Much appreciated!

I would love a therapeutic massage! :wink:

I had no idea you had expertise in this field! Surprised

You're a pal! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 02:04 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:

Indeed!

What do you think makes it especially difficult where you are, Msolga?

Ah, Deb, it is the land of the lost & dispossessed! Sad
What education writers describe as one of the "residual" schools.
I have taught in many "tough" schools, but there has always (in the past) been a glimmer of hope that hanging in there will lead to something better in the long run. And usually that was the case. The wrinkles were worth it! :wink: Progress!
Sadly, it doesn't seem to work that way there. These are the saddest, most cynical & "un-inspirable" & unreachable students I have ever come across in years of teaching.
You keep plugging away, thinking you are building relationships ... then poof! .... you're back to square one! Again & again & again.
Teachers & any "authorities" are not to be trusted, apparently.
It is quite soul destroying & pretty awful for your self esteem, I can tell you.
And bloody draining.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 02:26 am
Awwwwwwww - everything will work out for you, you just wait and see !!!

I have been asked to take a cholestrol test. I told the doctor, that before the test I will have to learn its spelling, else I am sure to fail.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 02:34 am
Why were you asked to take the test, G?
Just a routine check-up, or other reasons.

Work on that spelling!
Kol-est-er-oll.
Is that right?

(& thank you for your kindness! Very Happy )
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 02:38 am
Olga dahling, when you lead a lifestyle full of alcohol, cigarettes, 14 hr days, bad eating habits and are on the wrong side of 35 (for the last 1 month) the doctor naturally starts getting worried.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 02:48 am
You have a point there, G! :wink:
But still, you manage to remain trim & ravishing despite the shocking excesses of your life-style! It must be in the genes! Very Happy

Hey, I thought you gave up the ciggies! Surprised
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 03:44 am
Hmmmm ....

I haven't had the time to go back to the doctor's to see if the blood pressure situation has improved. Haven't had time to scratch myself, actually.

Let's just say the sooner work finishes for 2006, the better!

On a positive note: received notification from the Breastscreen folk today. (standard Breast Xray procedure a couple of weeks ago) No signs of anything abnormal. Next Xray scheduled in 2 years time.

I need to stop. If I was a car, right now I'd describe myself as a rattly, clapped-out old Kombi van! Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:48 am
Well, that's good news.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:09 am
msolga wrote:
Actually, I went this afternoon .....

And discovered I have a high blood pressure reading!

High blood pressure?

Confused

Never had that in my life!

Sad

However, I'm told that it could be an unusual, temporary result brought on by stress.

(Yep. That could be!)

... but all the same ....

Sad

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ukrainian and Polish heritage! I come from a long line of people who have the high blood pressure. Some are calmer than a bland summer day and others are angrier than a whirling tornado. I've tried everything...when first told of it I behaved quite well and ate sensibly. The blood pressure refused to budge. In typical eastern European fashion I formulated an uprising and rebelled! I ate burgers and ice cream and all sorts of sodium laden foods with fats and even transfats. The blood pressure held steady. My doctor stared, mystified (and with the 15 pound weight gain, also very annoyed). I invested in one of those new fangled devices with batt-ries to monitor my b.p. at home throughout the day. The results were amazing. It doesn't change when stressed, or calm or after climbing a few flights of stairs. No, it only elevates at one time...if I vacuum it ascends to frightening levels. (Tried this a half dozen times)

With this knowledge I made a vow to never again do any housekeeping. I don't know if it really helped the b.p. but I do have a wonderful stack of dustbunnies now.

Good to know you are tending to your health though, and get a checkup on that b.p. as soon as possible to make sure it lowers or at least stabilizes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 04:31 am
Sturgis wrote:
.... It doesn't change when stressed, or calm or after climbing a few flights of stairs. No, it only elevates at one time...if I vacuum it ascends to frightening levels. (Tried this a half dozen times)

With this knowledge I made a vow to never again do any housekeeping. I don't know if it really helped the b.p. but I do have a wonderful stack of dustbunnies now.

Laughing

So now you have sinus problems, Sturgis? :wink:

But what a wonderful excuse for not doing housework! I might use that next time I get caught out by an unexpected visitor!: "I'd love to do the cleaning but unfortunately it's a danger to my health!"

But I had no idea the high blood pressure was an Eastern European thing! I'm fairly certain my episode was brought on by the insane demands I was putting on myself at the time. (Memo: I must learn to live a less frantic life!)

Thank you for your good wishes. I'll do that visit to the doctor. Soon.

And how are you getting on these days? I haven't come across a Sturgis update for a while.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:58 pm
Do you guys have the BP machines in your neighborhood pharmacies? They aren't exact, but they do a fair job of reading your stats. They make it easy to keep track of your BP between doctor's visits.

Sorry to hear about your BP, MsO. I have run down issues too, mostly just an over-blown reaction to a cold virus. I am hoping my body holds up to the stress for another 1 or 2 years.............
0 Replies