There's no discussing religion and politics...

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 01:00 pm
I used to disagree with that saying. Do you? Sure it's possible to discuss the subjects, it's even possible to have civil discussion with people whose beliefs are in stark contrast to yours.

But recent events (not necessarily on A2K, I have stopped talking to the person I most care about because of problems that stemmed from our political discussions) make me wonder if it's worth the frustration.

Do any of you politics addicts ever feel this way? It is one of my passions but recently it has been on the losing end of the scale in terms of worth for me.

In any case I plan to be more involved in other areas of discussion, hope some of you politics nuts like web design or computers cause that's where I'll be hanging out on these forums.

Goodbye politics... again. You are so damn evil that I swear you be a wimmin. Twisted Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,466 • Replies: 45
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 01:16 pm
I feel the same way, Craven, but there's a siren song constantly luring me back - - -
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 01:33 pm
Jeez, it makes me sad to lose a thinker like Craven.

I never have understood the disgust and revulsion Craven and so many others feel because of the passion involved in political and religious discussions.

In my personal life I've been every bit as big-mouthed and out-front as I am here in the forums -- but at the end of discussion, friendship can prevail.

I certainly don't feel any lingering animosity toward the people with whom I've had even the most passionate of disagreements.

Some of the least civil people on Abuzz and A2K -- are the people who harp on civility most.

Just understand that some mudslinging and name-calling is going to result from discussions in politics and religion -- and let that be a given.

If you feel more comfortable discussing software, Craven, great. But I think you like politics and religion much more -- and I think what you are doing is a cop out.

Stick around. We need somebody to steady us once in a while.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 01:33 pm
Yup, I simply love politics. It's just not worth the downside right now.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:37 pm
Which came first, religion, politics or money? Or did they all come around at the same time? Hmm, all evil in my mind, but money is the only true neccesity. Best to keep religion and politics as hobbies, not passions. Less messy. I know people who are actually in politics, and no matter how fierce their debates may get sometimes, it's generally a beer or five at the end of the day, and a "good argument" sort of thing. Anyone who takes politics so seriously that it breaks up a friendship is headed for Hitlerland, if you ask me. I used to be a Young Liberal, and went to a convention in Niagara Falls...my dabbling in "real" politics. I vaguely remember the Prime Minister's speech, but the bathtub full of beer and the late night naked pool parties were what really grabbed me....if a political or religious discussion gets too hot-headed for me, I bow out, and pop in again when it calms down. Such is human nature. It also sounds like politics may have been a wimmin here, but who knows?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:41 pm
Just to clarify potlitics never broke up a freindship with me, it was certain behaviours that politics elecited that did.

A fine but, to me, important, distinction.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:30 pm
Well put then, Craven, fine distinctions are important. So what brings out worse behaviour, politics or sporting events? Or are they both kind of the same?
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:45 pm
All right, men, I take offense at your allusion to women since you seem to consider political/religious discussions too "hot to handle". How would you like it if we ascribe such things to you men?

BTW, anyone care for an apple :wink: ?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:57 pm
Snake alert! Snake alert! Laughing
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:58 pm
Okay, so now it's religion, politics and the sexes that are off limits! :razz:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
Sexes? I thought this was a yes/no issue... didn't realize there was a plural...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
Sigh.

I am sorry you are feeling like this Craven - I hate it when you do this.

Politics ain't worth the reading when there isn't some bastid like you stirring up both sides.

I often wonder what political discussion IS about though.

Is it a bit like some ritualized knightly joust, done for the joy of exercising the skills and the excitement of combat? Thing is, nobody much ever admits to being unhorsed...and it does have the joust's potential for people to really get hurt, though, it seems.

Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

I shall ignore, in a dignified manner, the evil wimmin comment.....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:09 pm
Deb,

It's inevitable. I really shouldn't post at all and just focus on the work. Cutting down on politics means I'll have more time to work on the site.

Tis a good thing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:12 pm
Might seem that way to you! Doesn't to me! Or lots of others.....most of the time...(lol)

(I depend on the siren call of your passions to lure you back.......)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:13 pm
Like the hamster!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:20 pm
well, see, now I've gotten my feelings hurt by the bunny implying I am undignified when I replied to the evil wimmin crap; she wrote, in part:

Quote:
I shall ignore, in a dignified manner, the evil wimmin comment..

please, bunny, don't slam me Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:27 pm
don't worry, sweet. it's an ongoing joke between young craven and certain of the female posters.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:28 pm
sweetcomplication (that sounds like fore shadowing Smile ) - one mustn't take the bunny to heart, just ignore her - so now we are ignoring:

religion, politics, the sexes and the bunny
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:29 pm
SC and the bunny should feel okay knowing that there ain't no such thing as a 'wimmin', except maybe in Norse mythology, and Craven would not be so sloppy as to ignore a fine distinction in that area.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:30 pm
but evil wimmin are wicked
0 Replies