Crooked Recruiters

snood

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:47 pm
This story is on "Anderson Cooper 360" right now.

They secret-camera interviewed 10 Army Recruiters, and half of them were breaking ALL the rules to get people in - lying, cheating, - the whole nine.

I have 3 1/2 years until retirement. I can't wait.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=investigators&id=4722401
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,176 • Replies: 11
No top replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:18 pm
I heard about this story a few days ago and it reminded me of the blatant lies that a recruiter tried to feed me over 30 years ago. I'd dropped out of college, was bawling about being away from my boyfriend and an Army recruiter called my home (I'd just turned 18) and hounded me to come in and talk. I did, not having anything better to do at the time, and he painted such a pretty picture. He told me that I could do my basic training at whatever base was closest to boyfriend. I could make that choice. I can't remember if I knew that was bull or if I asked someone else but I'll never forget that. It was a pretty lowdown thing to try and pull on a foolish young person. But that was nothing compared to the lies they're telling now. One recruiter goes so far as to say that the war is over. There is no war in Iraq. Can you believe that?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:22 pm
It's really bad, the things the recruiters are doing - unprecedented, even.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:24 pm
My daddy always said 'desperate times call for desperate measures'. I guess these are desperate times for the military.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:25 pm
What's the incentive? Bonuses? Brownie points?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:30 pm
I was just thinking about that. There are a few job assignments that are pretty much accepted in common Army knowledge as being sort of "fast track" jobs toward promotion. Drill Sergeants and Recruiters are two of those type jobs. Exceeding recruiting quotas is a way to stand out even further, thus faster promotion.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:32 pm
Ah. Get someone to fill your shoes and you can get out of the fight.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:33 pm
Yeah, but the strenuous duty makes up for all that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:33 pm
strenuous duty of recruitment?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:34 pm
Well, yeah! What did you think were talking about here?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:48 pm
Uh.... oh, I see.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:54 pm
I was pullin' your leg, lilk. How the devil was I supposed to know it was going to come off in my hand?
0 Replies