Polls show Americans are 'confused'

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:49 pm
I pray every day for the unPresident in the way God wants - yet he still acts more the idiot and makes it more easy for the rich to pass through the eye of a needle!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:52 pm
"FRIDAY: Pray that the President and his advisers will recognize their divine appointment and will govern accordingly... "

Divine appointment. That's very scary!
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:54 pm
Butterfly ballots were sent by the Divine Providence, didn't you know?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:01 pm
fbaezer wrote:
"FRIDAY: Pray that the President and his advisers will recognize their divine appointment and will govern accordingly... "

Divine appointment. That's very scary!

Your bias alone--anti-Bush, anti-Christian, or both--makes it scary.

Clearly the assumption those who wrote this make is that--by definition--Bush and his administration are in power because God wishes it. (Had Gore won that would likewise have been through God's "divine appointment". That they (the authors of this prayer) then ask that Bush and his advisers "govern accordingly in compassion, mercy, and truth" should come as no surprise nor be scary to anyone with a passing knowledge of the Christian faith.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:09 pm
Dear Scrat:

It's clear that you don't know me. I am not specially anti-Bush (I was against his position on war) or anti-Christian.

I find it scary that "divine appointment" is used, in any way, for an elected official.

It is citizens who elect Presidents. It's not "God's will".

If we start to believe that the powers of the Executive do not come from the people -who appoint him-, but from a Superior Being, then we start to believe in absolute power.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:12 pm
Rule by divine right . . . now there's a modern concept, tried, tested and true . . . just ask Louis XVI . . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:20 pm
Divine appointment!!!

Sounds way too much like "the divine right of Kings."
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:30 pm
The Devine Bush - isn't that mixing of shrubery, a common english grammatical error?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 01:32 pm
Scrat wrote:
Yes, kuvasz, it is a terrible thing that anyone would consider praying for our president. What a terrible thing indeed. Rolling Eyes

typical reaction from a right wing mullah.

thinking that prayer sanctifies government actions, as if this was an islamic republic like iran is and afghanistan was.

apparently you can't see too deeply into this issue, it is that the bush administration allowed the distribution of this literature to the american armed forces which tries to link religion with bush. the government permitted this all to advance their claim that Bush is doing God's will. all so the claim can be made to those who do not support bush can be challenged that "who can go against the will of God?" and places objections to bush and his actions as heresy.

there are disturbing historical parallels here of using religious iconography to support leaders who are criticized that you just seem to ignore, or at worst, endorse.
0 Replies

Kashmir

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:42 pm
I think more people need to read.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:46 pm
Welcome aboard Kashmir, have a safe ride! Smile
0 Replies

Kashmir

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:47 pm
thanks BillW!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:49 pm
Whoa!

Kashmir

Welcome.

Make that WELCOME!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:52 pm
Down boy, down Smile
0 Replies

Kashmir

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 02:59 pm
Thanks for the many welcomes! Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:35 pm
Yes, welcome, Kashmir! We hope you find this an enjoyable planet, where the inhabitants are mostly civilized and friendly...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:45 pm
but, some, cantankerous.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:59 pm
Welcome Kashmir.

What should people be reading?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 04:36 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Scrat wrote:
Yes, kuvasz, it is a terrible thing that anyone would consider praying for our president. What a terrible thing indeed. Rolling Eyes

Yes, anyone who isn't automatically against prayer or against the notion of praying for the president is a "right wing mullah". Rolling Eyes (How creative of you! You must have spent hours coming up with that!) Cool

kuvasz wrote:
thinking that prayer sanctifies government actions, as if this was an islamic republic like iran is and afghanistan was.

I'm sorry, my memory must be failing me. Can you show me where I wrote that? Confused

kuvasz wrote:
apparently you can't see too deeply into this issue, it is that the bush administration allowed the distribution of this literature to the american armed forces which tries to link religion with bush.

I simply fail to misconstrue it as you do. "The Bush administration allowed the distribution of this literature..."??? You think this is a crime? I'm confused. What would you have had the government do; deny a private group their first amendment right to send mail to American citizens? That would seem to be what you are claiming, but I find it hard to believe that you really think the government should bar a religious group from printing and diseminating religious materials as the group sees fit.

kuvasz wrote:
the government permitted this all to ...

The government permitted this because the first amendment bars them from doing otherwise.

kuvasz wrote:
there are disturbing historical parallels here of using religious iconography to support leaders who are criticized that you just seem to ignore, or at worst, endorse.

No there are not. Despite your attempt to spin this, this was not government action it was private religious action and Constitutionally protected. There are no parallels to anything sinister outside of your head.

The only thing I can't figure out here is whether you just hate Bush, hate Bush and Christians, or hate Bush, Christians and the first amendment guarantees to freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 08:53 pm
Scrat wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Scrat wrote:

Yes, anyone who isn't automatically against prayer or against the notion of praying for the president is a "right wing mullah". Rolling Eyes (How creative of you! You must have spent hours coming up with that!) Cool

kuvasz wrote:

I'm sorry, my memory must be failing me. Can you show me where I wrote that? Confused

kuvasz wrote:
apparently you can't see too deeply into this issue, it is that the bush administration allowed the distribution of this literature to the american armed forces which tries to link religion with bush.

I simply fail to misconstrue it as you do. "The Bush administration allowed the distribution of this literature..."??? You think this is a crime? I'm confused. What would you have had the government do; deny a private group their first amendment right to send mail to American citizens? That would seem to be what you are claiming, but I find it hard to believe that you really think the government should bar a religious group from printing and diseminating religious materials as the group sees fit.

kuvasz wrote:
the government permitted this all to ...

The government permitted this because the first amendment bars them from doing otherwise.

kuvasz wrote:

No there are not. Despite your attempt to spin this, this was not government action it was private religious action and Constitutionally protected. There are no parallels to anything sinister outside of your head.

The only thing I can't figure out here is whether you just hate Bush, hate Bush and Christians, or hate Bush, Christians and the first amendment guarantees to freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression.

0 Replies