Polls show Americans are 'confused'

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:04 pm
there's no jungle in Iraq, what we will have is a dust bowl.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:12 pm
A dust bowl with occasional huge lakes of oil four feet deep.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:19 pm
on fire
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 07:42 pm
Quote:
As a result our good name has been sullied, our word has been devalued, and we are now in a quagmire that will make Vietnam pale by comparison.

Hyperbole, thy name is acquiunk.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 07:43 pm
ah good Dadeo lets keep it personal, your forte?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:48 pm
You say personal, I say factual.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:51 pm
Latest Zogby poll figures are interesting. They show that maybe Americans are not as confused as they were. I just participated in the latest poll. Waiting to see if there are changes in the figures.

Released: June 12, 2003
Bush Job Performance Rating Slips to 58%; Would Beat a Democratic Opponent 44% - 37%, According to New Zogby America Poll

President George W. Bush’s job performance rating has slipped to 58% from his most recent high of 61% in April, according to the newest Zogby America poll conducted June 6 – 10. Zogby International surveyed 1,012 likely voters, with a margin of error of +/- 3.2%. Just over four in ten (41%) viewed his job performance negatively.

If the presidential election were held today, the President would beat a generic Democratic candidate, 44% - 37%. One in six (16%) are not sure how they would vote.

Nearly half (49%) of the respondents say Bush deserves to be re-elected, while 38% say it is time for someone new. Two-thirds (66%) of the likely voters say they have a favorable opinion of the president, while 32% say their opinion is unfavorable.

The president is given high marks for battling terrorism, with two-thirds (66%) of respondents saying his performance is good or excellent, while 32% describe it as fair or poor. A majority (53%) rates his performance on foreign policy positively, with 43% rating it negatively.

He earns higher negative ratings for job performance in the areas of taxes (45% positive, 51% negative); jobs and the economy (35% positive, 63% negative); health care (34% positive, 59% negative); and the environment (33% positive, 60% negative).

Overall, nearly six in ten (58%) of America’s likely voters say the country is headed in the right direction, compared to just over one in three (35%) who feel it’s the wrong direction. Seven percent are not sure.

Pollster John Zogby: “A 58% job performance is still respectable, but the numbers suggest that the President may slip more. A 44% vote against a generic Democrat is not good for an incumbent after winning a war, but the burden is still on the Democrats to get a candidate, stop the internal party bleeding, and focus on a message. If the issue is the war on terrorism, Bush is tough to beat. If the issue is the economy or health care, Democrats stand to gain. Bush’s performance on taxes is interesting because voters are telling us that they are not feeling a tax cut – as property taxes rise.”

The crosstabs from this survey are available now!

Crosstabs for the June 11 Zogby America
Electronic Copy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:56 pm
Hey! That's encouraging!

The "generic Democratic candidate" part still has me worried, tho. Speaking for myself, I'd like A. Democrat to beat Bush, but I'm just not too jazzed about any of the current contenders. I'm worried that there will be people who would vote for their abstract idea of a Democratic candidate, but wouldn't actually want the Democratic nominee to become president.

Anyway, a ray of hope.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:41 pm
Oh, I don't know, Soz - generic has interseting overtones. What it says is "any democrat." To me that's more encouraging than saying just a specific one. Of course, I have a specific choice or two - but only 7% against any democrat?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:46 pm
I'm sure you are all aware by now that the Brits took heavy one-day casualties by the current standards . . . rather than bore you with the details, and to save myself the trouble, i suggest you look for links about the Brits in "Mesopotamia" in the 1920's. You might start your search by putting "Winston Churchill and Arthur Balfour" into google, or a similarly reliable search engine. Winnie and Art carved up the middle east after Dubya-Dubya-One, so it might be instructive to learn how that worked out for the Brits in the 1920's. You'll have more fun with the conservatives, too, when they try to deny that a quagmire . . . 'scuse me, Dys . . . when we sink into the "Dust Bowl" of Iraq . . .
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 07:24 am
Acquiunk wrote:
the nation was lied to in an attempt to justify a war of aggression. The fact that the regime was a horror, and that it was maintaining the "software" for WMD, all good reasons for some form of collective action, was not addressed. Bush wanted and got his war. As a result our good name has been sullied, our word has been devalued, and we are now in a quagmire that will make Vietnam pale by comparison.

And to quote an Anna Quindlen essay:

"But we were not insensible. We had just become so accustomed to all of this that ot seemed vainglorious to protest, a kind of lowered expectation of the body politic....There is no uproar at the lack of [WMD] ; most citizens are accustomed to governmental means/ends lies. No outrage, just anomie."

the fact that we know what Dubya is doing behind the scenes, tax cuts that mean tax increases locally, putting the country into debt our kids and grandkids will be paying off, letting our environmental protection programs go, etc. etc. etc. just shows how little people care any more. Who are they polling? People who don't follow what's going on?

[/B]
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:02 am
Good points, Dream. I like Anna Quinlan.

You may also note that this quagmire/dust bowl/shades of Viet Nam is exactly what Scott Ritter said would happen... and was soundly chastized for mentioning. Called a traitor, I think.

We've got a Viet Nam vet in this household and know about it firsthand. I can't think of a stupider war... until this one.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 09:24 am
Piffka, you left out Grenada.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 08:03 pm
http://www.msnbc.com/news/931304.asp?0cm=c10
Facts show liberals were wrong
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 08:17 pm
max has raced around to several threads, posting this link without reading it. (I have previously pointed out what max fails to see on cjhsa's thread of the same link.)

max, read your link and weep. And then go, and sin no more.

Quote:
U.S. OFFICIALS said the discoveries were not proof that Iraq had managed to build or obtain banned weapons of mass destruction, as President Bush asserted before the U.S. invasion of Iraq in March.

Quote:
U.S. officials said the discoveries did not constitute final proof that Saddam had rebuilt his banned weapons program, as administration officials alleged in justifying the invasion of Iraq.

Quote:
Butler said that the discovery of components of a uranium enrichment system suggested that Iraq was far from production of actual weapons. The need for an enrichment system established that "Iraq does not have adequate sources of natural uranium," he said. "... It has to be, above all, enriched to get weapons grade."

Sacks of castor beans? A million documents? I would be Laughing, if 200 fine young American and British men and women and thousands of Iraqi civilians weren't dead.

You should be ashamed of yourself. But I doubt you will be.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:34 am
the real threat to american freedom is coming from those who are sworn to defend it.

bush and his gang are getting more and more like hitler's fascists every day.

In Germany they first came for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me -
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Martin Niemöller

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/jun2003/marr-j25.shtml

BUSH INVOKES "ENEMY COMBATANT" RULE AGAINST DEFENDANTSWITH THESE LATEST ACTIONS, THE GOVERNMENT IS INSTITUTIONALIZING A PROCEDURE UNDER WHICH THE PRESIDENT, INVOKING HIS POSITION AS COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF, CAN ISSUE AN EDICT AND IMPRISON ANYONE HE CHOOSES. TO DECLARE SOMEONE AN ENEMY COMBATANT, THE PRESIDENT IS NOT EVEN REQUIRED TO PRESENT PROOF OF THE TARGETED PERSON'S ALLEGED OFFENSE. ALL HE HAS TO DO IS ASSERT THE PERSON'S GUILT.

"THE GOVERNMENT CAN THREATEN ANY DEFENDANT WITH BEING DESIGNATED AN ENEMY COMBATANT, THROWN INTO A MILITARY BRIG AND HELD INDEFINITELY WITHOUT LEGAL COUNSEL, IN ORDER TO COERCE HIM INTO PLEADING GUILTY IN COURT AND FOREGOING HIS RIGHT TO A TRIAL."

Instead of worrying about those make believe Iraqi WMD I would hope instead that the alleged "conservatives" get off their asses and defend liberty at home, before someone comes for them.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:07 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Then they came for me -

I don't know about everyone else, but I am going to miss kuvasz. :wink:
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:25 pm
Scrat wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Then they came for me -

I don't know about everyone else, but I am going to miss kuvasz. :wink:

one would ask: who was more a patriot, adolf hitler, or those who attempted to kill him?

i ask this because history decides, and the ex-chanchelor of west germany, willy brandt was a disloyal german during ww2 and was in the german underground, yet 25 years later, he was the head of the west german government

leaders are not a country, nor avatars of its ideals, and those who attempt to personify a country thru their leaders are making a deal with the devil.

the busheviks attempt to glorifiy bush as america's maximum leader are to be reviled.

beware cults of personality.

and i say this with the following in mind.

A soldier's prayer

This item was in the most recent [July 2003] Harper's:

From "A Christian's Duty in Time of War," a pamphlet published by In Touch Ministries. The pamphlet exhorts its readers to pray for President Bush and to "consider fasting as you beseech the Lord" on his behalf. Thousands of the pamphlets were distributed by unknown persons to U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

MONDAY: Pray that the President and his advisers will be strong and courageous and do what is right, regardless of critics.

TUESDAY: Pray that the President and his advisers will have the unified support of the American people as well as that of other countries around the world.

WEDNESDAY: Pray that the President, his advisers, and their families will be safe, healthy, well rested, and free from fear.

THURSDAY: Pray that the President and his advisers will be successful in their mission and that world peace will be realized.

FRIDAY: Pray that the President and his advisers will recognize their divine appointment and will govern accordingly in compassion, mercy, and truth.

SATURDAY: Pray that the President his advisers will remember to keep their eyes on Almighty God and be mindful that He is in control.

SUNDAY: Pray that the President and his advisers will seek God and His wisdom daily and not rely on their own understanding.

And the following day's prayer, no doubt:

MONDAY: Pray that the antiwar protesters who seek to distract the President from his Biblical duty as warrior king are struck down by God's terrible lightning bolts and are immediately sent to hell where they may roast screaming for eternity.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:42 pm
Yes, kuvasz, it is a terrible thing that anyone would consider praying for our president. What a terrible thing indeed. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:46 pm
Well, one can pray for just about anything. When the old Boston Braves depended heavily on two great pitchers, the religious fan believed, "Spahn and Sain, and pray for rain."

Can I get an amen, people?
0 Replies