Election night 'whenever - this complaint needs a thread

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:25 pm
Its about TV "news" coverage of politics, and of election night in particular.

I read this introduction to an article about races to watch tonight, and when reading it I wanted to shout, YES YES YES F*CKIN HELL YES!

Here it is:

Quote:
Nov. 07, 2006 | In an ideal world, we would be blessed with the "Old-Fashioned Election Night Channel," which would merely show raw-vote totals from key races around the country. The only on-air commentary would come from veteran pols chomping on unlit cigars as they explain that they are still waiting for three blue-collar precincts in Pawtucket before they call the Rhode Island Senate race.

Instead what we will get from the networks Tuesday night is not Dan Rather but Damn Blather. Preening anchors, greenhorn correspondents and partisan gunslingers will offer an endless loop of prefabricated commentary, while meaningful numbers only will occasionally pop up by accident on the crawl. It will be like sitting through a long evening of movie trailers without ever being allowed to watch more than occasional snippets of the main feature.

But, even without channeling Howard Beale, you don't have to take it anymore. Instead of cursing at Katie's insipid ad-libs or Brian's bombastic bromides, you can be master of your own domain by knowing what to watch and when. To help with this laudable quest, here are Salon's election-night tips.

Continue reading the article - it doesnt come back to this topic anymore, its about spotting relevant results

YES! Gawd-darnit.

It's outrageous, if you think about it, and such an utter waste of time for everyone. And a disservice to the quality of political debate as well.

I remember the night of the British elections earlier this year. I could get CNN on my TV, but not BBC - and I didnt have internet access at home yet.

It (CNN) was utterly effin' useless (I can only imagine how much worse still Fox is).

It was all but impossible to actually find out about any actual results. They just werent interested. Not in who was getting how many votes, which MP had retained or lost his seat, what percentages the parties were getting, even less how the trend of the incoming numbers so far stacked up against those of last time.

I've never missed Peter Snow and his endlessly inventive gadgets, maps and interactive charts (once, as I remember it, he recreated the Iraq desert as a kind of sandbox in the BBC Newsnight studio, to "enact" the various strategic positions and developments for us) so much in my life.

Instead, all bleeding night they had nothing but talking heads. With sweepingly general or inanely superficial bromides. Telling us nothing that we didnt already know and hadnt already been said on the talkshows the day before. Countering each others prefab talking points (look how balanced we are, we have one blatherer of vacuousness from the left, and one from the right).

I found myself cursing the television. In-f*cking-ane.

And it's sacrilege! Election night is a ritual. The whole suspense and excitement of election night - a once a two- or four year event, after all, the culmination of months of campaigning by thousands of pavement-pounding activists - is about the tense awaiting of election results. Did my guy make it, or not? About the show and spectacle of candidates addressing the public, their victory speeches or declarations of defeat (which politically aware Englishman doesnt remember the moment Michael Portillo's - losing - result came in, in 1997?). It's about the anxious tabulating of incoming results, trying to make sense out of them, comparing them with results from the same places last time to identify trends. What's the swing? BBC's Peter Snow would show it with his swing-o-meter.

Instead, what we get is the laziest of television. It wont be any different tonight.

Round up some of the usual pundits who always have a few too many spare opinions, and let them spout their commonplaces and speculations.

Intersperse with excited, and lengthy, commercials hyping your own station. "The news, right now!" Yeah, except you're not actually showing any of it - not the actual results..

Instead, you spend the night allowing political hacks to serve their vacuous but toxic mix of infotainment and agitprop, talking up their side, down the other's side, and none of it makes us any wiser - provides any actual facts - the only ones who benefit are the passionate partisans waiting for their cues about what the talking points for their side are.

I'm sorry, but US election coverage on TV sucks big fat donkey dick (to use one of A's favourite expressions).

Whats more - Dutch election coverage is also heading that way. Ever more blather. People telling us what to think about the results, while hardly even showing them anymore (with a bit of luck, the important ones might show up on the ticker).

I dont know how BBC World is - I dont think its as good as the domestic BBC - but when it comes to preserving the magic of election night and feeding us all the info we could possibly need, everyone at BBC2 will be receiving their ticket into heaven for that alone. And we'll be missing it, again, tonight.

OK.

There.

Thought I'd get this rant out of the way already now.

And long live the Internet.

You may laugh or smile at me now.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,400 • Replies: 53
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:34 pm
I'm with you, nimh. I get to screaming at the tv, "just show the ******* results already and shut the hell up!"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:35 pm
:-)

I agree.

In fact, I'm not gonna watch. I'll probably keep one eye on here, another on Yahoo, and leave it at that.

In other words, YOU'RE going to do the analysis for me. Laughing No pressure...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:36 pm
Tonight ought to be a little less annoying for myself, as I intend to get our many guests drunk.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:40 pm
nimh, each state's Office of the Secretary of State (or equivalent) puts up a webpage reporting unauditted election results, precinct by precinct, as they come in.

And while I agree with you re Damn Blather, I think a media blackout of election results reporting, including exit polls, untill all polls in the nation have closed, is a great idea - not that we'll ever see that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:43 pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And 25 views in 15 minutes? Exciting night eh?

Tomorrow we'll all know more..

However (eh, Soz) - for me, your first poll closing times come at midnight. For the presidential elections I stayed up till 6 in the morning, but I do have to go to work tomorrow..

Hopefully, things will be clear before that!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:44 pm
Timber - I'll be looking those up! And yeah, thanks to the Internet we can all hopefully circumvent the Damn Blather...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:49 pm
I'm amusing myself on my PC during a boring presentation in a Board meeting, checking my watch to see if I can make the train in time to get drunk with Blatham.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:49 pm
This is what the information age, with its internet and its numerous media outlets was invented for.

I plan to keep my eyes here (for the community I am comfortable with) and on DailyKos (for remarkably decent analysis from people who share my progressive bias with passion).

I will probably have NPR playing in the background, while channel surfing through CNN/MSNBC and whatever else catches my eye. I certainly won't miss the John Stewart/Colbert thing at 11:00.

And I will stay on top of all this while holding a beer.

Yes I am a bit of a political junky.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:51 pm
No one cares about getting it "right", just being first.

The public DOES NOT NEED TO KNOW who won TODAY.

I'm watching a ball game tonight and passing on all the election BS.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:56 pm
Quote:

I'm watching a ball game tonight and passing on all the election BS.

You DON'T NEED TO KNOW who wins your stupid ball game tonight either... I am sure you can look up the results tomorrow morning.

It's the sport of it.
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:01 pm
I'll be catching the results here and watching Comedy Central. At least I can trust John Stewart.

Beverage of choice - a nice red, but if things start looking a little hairy I'll switch to tequila. Laughing
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:03 pm
US news media are mostly theatre. They achieve the illusion of meaningful reporting and objectivity by juxtaposing charicatures of the opposing viewpoints. The politicians are well-tuned to this and feed the system with all the sound bytes it needs. I'll wait until tomorrow.

The Republicans will loose some ground -- how much remains to be seen. Some losses are typical midway through a second Presidential term, what comes this time may be greater than normal -- we shall see.

For those concerned, though I am on the road, I cast an absentee ballot, cancelling the vote of one left wing California loonie.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:23 pm
I like the coverage on our tv, though I still prefer to get the results the very same minute on the internet.

And how would I like to ...

...make the train in time to watch George get drunk with Blatham!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:31 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I'm amusing myself on my PC during a boring presentation in a Board meeting, checking my watch to see if I can make the train in time to get drunk with Blatham.

<grins>

And that should be fun tonight, no matter who wins... I'd be a rookie between you, but I'd have liked to be there!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:32 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Yes I am a bit of a political junky.

<grins>

You're in good company here.. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:38 pm
Shellgame wrote:
I'll be catching the results here and watching Comedy Central. At least I can trust John Stewart.

Beverage of choice - a nice red, but if things start looking a little hairy I'll switch to tequila. Laughing

exactly what will be happening at th Bears den... you and squinney, her nemae being shelley would get along well no doubt... we could do a red wine tequila and Stewart threesome.....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:44 pm
a/t CNN there will be NO results published before the polls are closed .
NO exit interviews will be announced .
wolf blitzer said that they don't want to be first , but want to get it right .
he referred to the fiasco at previous election .
interesting to see if they are the only ones who'll hold back .
hbg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:47 pm
hamburger wrote:
hbg

I believe some recent law here limits their ability to make reports & forecasts while the polls are still open, I suspect he is piuously making a virtue out of necessity.

This damn meeting goes on and on ....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:47 pm
hamburger wrote:
hbg

I believe some recent law here limits their ability to make reports & forecasts while the polls are still open, I suspect he is piously making a virtue out of necessity.

This damn meeting goes on and on ....
0 Replies