Election night 'whenever - this complaint needs a thread

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:12 pm
CNN online has had the best coverage, you can watch the numbers change from one minute to the next . . .
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:12 pm
http://pdn.philly.com/news.jpg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
CNN online has had the best coverage, you can watch the numbers change from one minute to the next . . .

MSNBC was pretty good, too. They had this neat online tool were you got the numbers updated while watching. Lovely!

I was a wee bit disappointed with the BBC, though...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:37 pm
npr.org had/has a good map. I watched CNN and used npr.org and the Virginia state site to browse the numbers. I stayed up way too late.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:40 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I stayed up way too late.

.... not as long as nimh, I suppose!

Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:44 pm
Or you!

Yeah, I was really happy with CNN online actually. Bypassed the TV entirely, was just CNN, Yahoo, and you guys. Thanks nimh and old europe especially!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:46 pm
Yeah good work Nimh.

CNN had the best coverage of numbers, MSNBC had the best panel, FoxNews was the best for laughs, seeing all the glum looks

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:48 pm
sozobe wrote:
Or you!

Yeah, I was really happy with CNN online actually. Bypassed the TV entirely, was just CNN, Yahoo, and you guys. Thanks nimh and old europe especially!

hehehe....

Embarrassed

Well, the loss of sleep is apparently the price we're paying for the eurogentrification of A2K....

Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 12:55 pm
old europe wrote:
Well, the loss of sleep is apparently the price we're paying for the eurogentrification of A2K....

Very Happy

You had promised not to talk about that until the mission was accomplished! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 03:15 pm
Well, we did make our targets for this month..
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 03:28 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
old europe wrote:

Very Happy

You had promised not to talk about that until the mission was accomplished! Twisted Evil

Fine mission, I'll say......I'm for it. We'll see how successful you are. Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:03 pm
Well, apparently - not that I'd know - there was at least one guy at Fox News who was really good - and a man after my heart ;-):

Quote:
BEST COMMENTATOR AWARD:

I know you're never supposed to say anything nice about FOX, but Michael Barone is the best election night commentator by a country mile. His knowledge of individual districts, while freakish under normal circumstances, (example--"I don't think the returns from the more conservative north-central part of Indianapolis have come in yet") is exactly what you need when the returns are coming in. No one else conveys one-fifth as much valuable information per minute of airtime.

--Peter Beinart

Even more praise of Fox's election night from unexpected corners
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:25 pm
On the basis of being Abled 2 Know I have repeatedly asked for the turnout figures on another thread.

Nothing doing so far.

Anybody on here willing to oblige. We get them in the UK with every result.

On that thread the fantastic swing leftwards has been portrayed as a mandate for teaching evolution theory to young kids would you believe.

The first post on this thread is no surprise here.

Never forget folks that media is insanely envious of politicians as a power centre they are not party to.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 5 May, 2007 04:50 pm
Re: Election night 'whenever - this complaint needs a thread
nimh wrote:
I remember the night of the British elections earlier this year. I could get CNN on my TV, but not BBC - and I didnt have internet access at home yet.

It (CNN) was utterly effin' useless (I can only imagine how much worse still Fox is).

It was all but impossible to actually find out about any actual results. They just werent interested. Not in who was getting how many votes, which MP had retained or lost his seat, what percentages the parties were getting, even less how the trend of the incoming numbers so far stacked up against those of last time.

I've never missed Peter Snow and his endlessly inventive gadgets, maps and interactive charts [..] so much in my life. [..]

And it's sacrilege! Election night is a ritual. The whole suspense and excitement of election night - [..] the culmination of months of campaigning by thousands of pavement-pounding activists - is about the tense awaiting of election results. Did my guy make it, or not? [..] It's about the anxious tabulating of incoming results, trying to make sense out of them, comparing them with results from the same places last time to identify trends. What's the swing? BBC's Peter Snow would show it with his swing-o-meter. [..]

I dont know how BBC World is - I dont think its as good as the domestic BBC - but when it comes to preserving the magic of election night and feeding us all the info we could possibly need, everyone at BBC2 will be receiving their ticket into heaven for that alone. [..]

I regret to say that this pean [spelling?] to Peter Snow will have to stand as final tribute to his decades-long career. He retired. (Oh no!)

The elections on Thursday for the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and local councils across England were the first without Snow's infectiously enthusiastic and geekily playful graphs and numbers show. (Though the BBC's characteristic mindboggling array of surreal graphical gadgets to illustrate results with has apparently luckily stayed.)

He was replaced by, gasp, a radio DJ who normally has a talk radio-like show. (Oh no!)

I cant get BBC here, so I dont know myself how it went. But the politics connoisseurs at the Guardian's Organ Grinder were aghast. Here's the blog post:

Quote:
Jeremy Vine: the new Peter Snow?

By Janine Gibson / Television 10:40am

Well we're all a bit baffled by the local elections. But as we spend the day totting up the winners and losers, let's take the time to focus on the really important question. Is Jeremy Vine's mastery of the election graphic up to the standards of the legendary Peter Snow?

It's hard not to feel for Vine - those are quite literally big shoes to fill. And local election run-out is good practice for the big gig; he's got a couple of years yet to reach general election standards.

But, squinting at him in the wee small hours in that heady state that can only be achieved by drinking heavily then attempting to understand electoral mathematics, I'm afraid I was filled with nostalgia for the king of the swingometer himself.

Our dedicated team of results watchers [..] are filled with questions: has Jeremy been rooting through Simon Cowell's cast-offs? Those high-waisted trousers were shocking.

Did anyone tell him that stats change through the night? He seemed particularly baffled during one 'explanation' I happened to catch, though as I have no idea what time it was or even what was being explained, I can't really be relied upon as a witness.

Did the senior Jeremy sneer or smile as he linked to him as "the Radio 2 DJ Jeremy Vine"? Let's assume that was affectionate.

Full marks for enthusiasm, though. God love him, he's still at it on News 24 this morning, looking for all the world as if he's on one of those karaoke dance mats that the kids plug into the telly. [..]

Was anyone else even watching?

Some of the comments in particular are quite entertaining (and telling about this quintessentially British phenomenon). The lot of them still makes me love the English, Snow or no Snow:

Quote:
Comments

There was one particular graphic last night, showing the changes in fortunes for the parties over the years, which was stunningly brilliant in terms of technology and choreography, it had me gobsmacked. So much so that I didn't pay any atention to what Mr Vine was saying but instead this morning have a clear memory of his flapping trousers. That's not really what he wants to hear, is it?

Posted by nationwide on May 4, 2007 11:11 AM.

I'm slightly alarmed that nobody has mentioned that, just before midnight, Jeremy Vine was trying to explain the possible shares of vote and what each might mean for Labour, he did so on a virtual tennis court. Film of Blair serving a ball culled from some charity event would result in a materialising orb with a figure on it, with its position relative to the net supposedly showing how close to target they were.

It wasn't even a dead metaphor; I'm reluctant to use the phrase "it was pure Chris Morris" but, surely, this is the closest we've ever come to having a genuine news programme offering up a Currency Cat?

Posted by simonsomething on May 4, 2007 11:40 AM.

"Vine is a tosser and the presenter of THE WORST show on radio, bar none. It's like having the Daily Mail piped into your living room. [..]."

Could not have put it better myself. The nightmarish radio show he hosts with its deliberate baiting of bigots to stir up hysteria is just horrific. His mangling of news and quotes just to create controversy is just journalism of the worst kind.

Posted by Teamscoop on May 4, 2007 11:51 AM.

Vine's schtick is both too knowing [..] and too smug, yet barely informative. Peter Snow had a joyous naivety to him, yet he always had something interesting to point out. Vine had one moment last night (the graphic depiction of the Tories' share in the form of Dave Cameron's house foundations) which was purely designed to give him an opportunity to scamper camply across the set in a jolly jape. I have nothing against jolly japes, but they have to be less contrived.

Posted by peartreeproductions on May 4, 2007 11:58 AM.

Peter Snow did the Swingometer for 235 years since Pitt The Younger was let off GCSEs to become Prime Minister. Jeremy Vine had his first stab at it last night and did a decent job with brand new technology and a bloody dull election. Give him a chance for Heaven's sake, he will get better and better [..].

Posted by Alphonzo on May 4, 2007 12:26 PM.

I'm definitely in the jury still out camp [..]. I quite like him [..] and I find him endearing in a Peter Snow-lite way.

I am going to have to insist on him learning how to communicate the maths accurately though. That is, after all, the point of the exercise. Otherwise we may as well have more bloody rory bloody bremner between counts.

Posted by JanineGibson on May 4, 2007 12:41 PM.

[..] Peter Snow did not invent the swingometer, not by a long way.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1369188.stm [..]

Posted by Lovelight on May 4, 2007 1:17 PM.

I only caught a couple of examples, but here goes: (1) Vine rushing to and fro towards the camera as he tried to explain things - very odd. (2) The momnet qwhen the squares on the floor lit up in the colours of the main political parties - very disco. I expected the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever to kick in at any moment.

Posted by dfic1999 on May 4, 2007 1:43 PM.

Woefully embarassing performance from Vine. Made you realise that it was Peter's charismatic enthusiasm which was the only thing that made the ever more surreal offerings from the BBC's digital graphics department palatable. I suggest they sink their talents into constructing a digital Peter Snow to take us through the next elections!

Posted by VanDusen on May 4, 2007 2:08 PM.

I loathe Vine's show not because I'm allergic to debate, but because of his contrived and dreary attempts to stoke up listeners' ire with a predictably poisonous concoction (one part asylum seeker to two parts single mothers with a bit of political correctness gone mad for good measure). The bottom line is that a phone-in is only as good as those who the researchers and producer decide to put on air. In the case of Vine's show, it's invariably the most monosyllabic, inarticulate bigots who've been picked because they honestly think controversy makes good radio, rather than a proper debate. [..] The guy should be on commercial radio, he's that bad. [..]

Posted by oniongravy on May 4, 2007 2:15 PM.

Um... hhhmmm. I cannot believe that you guys can get so worked up about this.

Mugabe, the atrocities carried out by Israel, the war on oil (sorry, I meant terror) our leaders constantly lying about the security of our nation via, "Oops, did we leak that scary document about the impending Armageddon as visited on us by terrorists" propaganda.

Jeremy Vine, a tame little bunny hopping across the blue screen in compariosn. But no, the ire cast on this man for reasons I, as yet, cannot fathom is quite remarkable. [N]ot worth sending to the server, is he, really?

Posted by kemuri on May 4, 2007 3:35 PM.

Concern grows for Jeremy Vine's health following BBC election coverage
http://www.deadbrain.co.uk/news/article_2007_05_04_4620.php

"Concern is growing for the mental wellbeing of BBC Radio 2 DJ Jeremy Vine following last night's election coverage. Mr Vine took over the job of attempting to explain meaningless statistics, pointing at ridiculous graphics and generally being more excitable than is healthy at 4am from Peter Snow last year, after the legendary excitable person burst into flames during the 2005 general election."

Posted by Rich1162 on May 4, 2007 4:01 PM.

My favourite quote of the week is peartree's summation of JV's role: "purely designed to give him an opportunity to scamper camply across the set".

I too was mesmerised with his scampering - to the detriment of any understanding of the subject matter.

How long will it be before we see edited scamperings to appropriate music tracks on YouTube? I can't wait. [..]

Posted by yeractual on May 4, 2007 6:52 PM.
0 Replies