Toe Nail Bed Injury

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:38 am
Last night, I was going to let Zoe out and a cat ran onto our patio. She went ape sh!t and stepped onto my toe, griding her toe nail right in. It hurt like a sonofabitch but I let her out and then hobbled to the bathroom. She stepped right onto the nailbed, which was already turning purple with a bruise and was bleeding. I cleaned it up (with hyrdogen peroxide) put a bandaid on it and went to watch tv. It bled some last night after I'd gone to bed. It is sore but not awfully painful.

Looks pretty nasty though.

Will I lose this nail? The blood didn't get under my nail. It more or less ripped up the cuticle and whatnot and the purpleness (nice word) is just on the skin.

I am also concerned about infection, it being in my stinky hot shoe all day.

And on top of it all, she ruined a nice new pair of socks. Sheesh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 906 • Replies: 5
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:49 am
I'm no doctor, but based on your description and my experience, no you won't lose the nail. That usually happens when the damage is under the nail itself.

As far as infection, keep it covered and swab it with peroxide or other antiseptic when you get home in the evening.

Now, take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

And pay the nurse on your way out...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 09:53 am
Sweet. I can handle the grossness for a while, but would flip if my toenail fell off.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:32 pm
Bella--

Don't you feel safe and protected by big, brave Zoe?

Can you slip out of you hot, stinky shoe and into a cotton sock for the the desk-bound part of your working day?

My guess is that your toenail is safe, but that infection is possible. If your wound does start getting red and puffy, see a doctor ASAP.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:52 pm
Sounds like a good use for Neosporin.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:57 pm
I can take my hot stinky shoe off.

I think I may.

I tend to have bad reactions to triple antibiotic meds. My whole family does really. It ends up irritating the wound and either becomes infected or just gets big and red and sore.

So any time I can avoid antibiotic cream, I do.
0 Replies