Purposely Not Allowing Hopefuless

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:27 pm
Advocate wrote:
DTOM, you shouldn't use the second amendment to make your point. A literal reading makes it clear that the right to be a bear is in the context of a well-regulated militia.

Moreover, there are few places in the country where you can't have a gun. I am sure no one will ever want to seize your gun.

and a great day it was for bears indeed ! Very Happy

i think you take me wrong. although i'm a gun owner, i support gun laws and banning assualt rifles and most of that stuff.

not all weapons need to, or should be legal for private ownership. and some people are not be trusted with a gun and really shouldn't be allowed to have one at all.

the only point i was making is that the popular "strict construction" idea is not always the smartest way to go; and neither is total erasure of original intent just for the sake of being progressive.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:43 pm
Even some fathers shouldn't be owning guns; their own children kill themselve or others, because some don't know any better than to lay their guns loaded and unlocked for their children to "play" with.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 07:14 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Even some fathers shouldn't be owning guns; their own children kill themselve or others, because some don't know any better than to lay their guns loaded and unlocked for their children to "play" with.

yup. with rights come responsibilities.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:38 am
mysteryman wrote:
Does the Constitution have primacy AS WRITTEN,or as some people would like to see it interpreted?

All writing is interpreted through the reader.

Shall we start discussing the Platonic Ideal Forms?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 01:46 pm
Hope?

Lieberman refuses to close door on switching parties

November 12, 2006

HARTFORD, Conn. --Sen. Joe Lieberman on Sunday repeated his pledge to caucus with Senate Democrats when the 110th Congress convenes in January, but refused to slam the door on possibly moving to the Republican side of the aisle.

Asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" if he might follow the example of Sen. Jim Jeffords of Vermont, who left the Republicans in 2001 and became an independent, ending Republican control of the U.S. Senate, Lieberman refused to discount the possibility.

"I'm not ruling it out but I hope I don't get to that point," he said. "And I must say -- and with all respect to the Republicans who supported me in Connecticut -- nobody ever said, 'We're doing this because we want you to switch over. We want you to do what you think is right and good for our state and country,' and I appreciate that."

A spokeswoman for Lieberman would not elaborate when contacted by The Associated Press.

Greenwich businessman Ned Lamont defeated Lieberman in the Democratic primary in August. Lieberman was elected to a fourth term last Tuesday as an independent, and said Sunday his political affiliation will be as an "Independent Democrat."

The Democrats won control of the Senate with 51 seats. Lieberman and newly elected Bernie Sanders of Vermont are the Senate's only Independents.

A switch to the Republicans would bring the Senate to a 50-50 division, giving Republican Vice President Dick Cheney opportunities to break tie votes.

Jeffords' decision to quit the GOP and become an independent tipped the balance of an evenly divided Senate, handing control to the Democrats with a one-vote margin.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:07 pm
Joe is a mixed bag of tricks. We'll just have to wait and see, but whatever he does, anything he does to stab the dems in the back, will be a self-defeating move. Who will trust him after so many statements?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:42 pm
I think he reeaaally likes the feeling of holding all the cards. Can't say that I blame him, it's human nature. I think he won't slam the door on anything at this point though if only so he can keep that feeling of power. If the Republicans think he might scratch their backs, they'll scratch his. If they know there's no chance, why bother?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
sozobe, Joe does anything to get power; that was proven during the 2000 election when he changed his stance on so many things, we didn't know what he stood for - except votes and the polls.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:54 pm
when i was watching MTP he repeatedly identified himself as an "independent democrat". from what i got out of it, about the only thing he agrees with bush and reps on is the iraq thing. past that, ehhh.. not so much.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:18 pm
Advocate wrote:
DTOM, you shouldn't use the second amendment to make your point. A literal reading makes it clear that the right to be a bear is in the context of a well-regulated militia.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
Even on a literal reading, this can be parsed as a general right, preceded by an explanation of why it is there. This, of course, only emphasizes your point that the amendment needs interpretation. Even originalists have to decide which of its literal readings makes better sense.
0 Replies