Purposely Not Allowing Hopefuless

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:10 am
I want to be excited and happy about the republicans losing the house and positive changes being made..... but I've lived too long and seen to much to

A: believe the repubs won't keep their majorities by hook AND crook

B: believe the democrats will not refuse to feed as greedily from the trough.

I hope I'm wrong on both counts.I'll vote my conscience and watch the results.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,138 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:27 am
Hope springs eternal, Bear. But ain't nuthin' wrong with seasoning it with a bit of reality. I had an epighany last night. Everyone's talking about what the GOP/Dem split will be in the new Senate. Figures like 49/51 etc. keep getting bandied about. What we get a 50/50? That'd be a hoot.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 07:30 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Hope springs eternal, Bear. But ain't nuthin' wrong with seasoning it with a bit of reality. I had an epighany last night. Everyone's talking about what the GOP/Dem split will be in the new Senate. Figures like 49/51 etc. keep getting bandied about. What we get a 50/50? That'd be a hoot.

no 50/50 will do as long as cheney can and will break all ties presently but a small shift in power in the senate could change that. as long as a couple of repubs don't necessarily vote as a rubber stamp so it could make a difference but that's a lot to ask or hope for.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:07 am
I have a few basic thoughts on politics.

Unless the person is exceptional, whoever is in, get him out. Don't let any politician get too comfortable. In politics, (in general) comfort breeds abuse.

I believe that the President and the majority of the two houses of Congress should come from the two different major parties. Keeps things a bit more honest, and enhances the "checks and balances" that are so important.

Stay away from politicians who has little to say but to bash his opponents.

Stay away from politicians who think that the bible has primacy over the Constitution.

Be careful of politicians who promise these "pie in the sky" lofty promises. If they get in, it will come out of your ass, and you will get little in return.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:05 am
I know EXACTLY what you're saying, BPB. I want to believe the polling that they will get in, and I want to hope it will be better with the Dems -
but I am very wary of what lengths the Repubs will go to keep power, and I'm not very sure that the Dems won't be just as corrupt if they get back into power.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:14 am
snood wrote:
I want to believe the polling that they will get in, and I want to hope it will be better with the Dems -
but I am very wary of what lengths the Repubs will go to keep power, and I'm not very sure that the Dems won't be just as corrupt if they get back into power.

And therein lies the problem, snood. Young people go into politics, bright eyed and bushy tailed, and think that they are going to make a difference. Little by little they compromise their values, when they realize that in order to be elected, they have to please the most constituents that they can.

So it's chip a little here, to gain the votes of one group, and chip a little there, to please another group. So then you have a politician, whose sole raison d'etre to to get elected!

That is probably why I am seriously considering Obama, even though I am not in agreement with all of his political stances.. I think that at this point he has not been "spoiled" by Washington............yet!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:16 am
Bear
I think the most important political group in this election will be the Libertarians. They will decide whether to abandon the Republican party and not vote, or vote for Democrats. In tight races, they will make the difference in the Republican vote.

BBB
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:23 am
BBB-I consider myself a libertarian (small "l"). I have already voted, as they have early voting in Florida.

I don't know if my vote can be generalized, but I voted for 3 Republicans, and 7 Democrats.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:27 am
Phoenix
Phoenix32890 wrote:
BBB-I consider myself a libertarian (small "l"). I have already voted, as they have early voting in Florida.

I don't know if my vote can be generalized, but I voted for 3 Republicans, and 7 Democrats.

You could also be labeled an Independent, which is a good thing.

BBB
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:51 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Unless the person is exceptional, whoever is in, get him out. Don't let any politician get too comfortable. In politics, (in general) comfort breeds abuse.

I believe that the President and the majority of the two houses of Congress should come from the two different major parties. Keeps things a bit more honest, and enhances the "checks and balances" that are so important.

Stay away from politicians who has little to say but to bash his opponents.

Stay away from politicians who think that the bible has primacy over the Constitution.

Be careful of politicians who promise these "pie in the sky" lofty promises. If they get in, it will come out of your ass, and you will get little in return.

Does the Constitution have primacy AS WRITTEN,or as some people would like to see it interpreted?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 02:00 pm
I came up with an estimate of 50-50 on this thread, but am actually more pessimistic..

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

I'm pessimistic in general, the morass is so nearly infinite.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 02:32 pm
Keep hope alive.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
What is needed is a third party and a system of better representation such as proportional representation.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 06:25 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

.....Stay away from politicians who think that the bible has primacy over the Constitution.......

Does the Constitution have primacy AS WRITTEN,or as some people would like to see it interpreted?

i guess the samething could be said about the bible. Confused

but, i think that he general idea is that the united states is a nation of laws, not a theocracy.

you have to admit that there is a fair amount of interpretation of the constitution on both sides of the current free for alls.

for me, i find it more than a little disturbing that lately, there never seems to be "a final determination" in court cases. pretty spooky that there are those trying to put through bills allowing a judge to be sued if the loser doesn't like the outcome of his case....

not saying that you're one of them, but it blows my mind how many people claiming to be "real americans" are in such a damn hurry to dismantle the systems that make our country unique. and arguably better.

the view of biblical priority over the constitution is exampled by the issues that are being used by some to determine if a potential sc judge is a "strict constructionist" (whatever the hell that really means..), i.e. abortion, gay marriage etc.

i really can find no good rationale that either one of those issues is worth totally reconfiguring the entire united states government over.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 06:38 pm
Yep.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:30 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

.....Stay away from politicians who think that the bible has primacy over the Constitution.......

i guess the samething could be said about the bible. Confused

but, i think that he general idea is that the united states is a nation of laws, not a theocracy.

you have to admit that there is a fair amount of interpretation of the constitution on both sides of the current free for alls.

for me, i find it more than a little disturbing that lately, there never seems to be "a final determination" in court cases. pretty spooky that there are those trying to put through bills allowing a judge to be sued if the loser doesn't like the outcome of his case....

not saying that you're one of them, but it blows my mind how many people claiming to be "real americans" are in such a damn hurry to dismantle the systems that make our country unique. and arguably better.

the view of biblical priority over the constitution is exampled by the issues that are being used by some to determine if a potential sc judge is a "strict constructionist" (whatever the hell that really means..), i.e. abortion, gay marriage etc.

i really can find no good rationale that either one of those issues is worth totally reconfiguring the entire united states government over.

There is nothing in your response that I disagree with.
Let me rephrase the question...

Is the Constitution a "living document" open to interpretation based on your beliefs,or does it mean exactly what it says,no more or no less?

I think that is the biggest question and the biggest debate facing the US today.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:39 am
mysteryman
The constitution of the land, enacted in the 19th century, is that only horse drawn carriages are allowed and that they may proceed no faster than 15 miles per hour.

Should the constitution be enforced in the 21st century exactly as it is written? Or should it be a "living" law that reflects the transportation system today?

BBB
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 09:59 am
Re: mysteryman
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The constitution of the land, enacted in the 19th century, is that only horse drawn carriages are allowed and that they may proceed no faster than 15 miles per hour.

Should the constitution be enforced in the 21st century exactly as it is written? Or should it be a "living" law that reflects the transportation system today?

BBB

Where in the constitution does it say anything about horse drawn carriages?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
eoe wrote:
Keep hope alive.

There's no hope but Mt. Hope....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 10:05 am
Re: mysteryman
mysteryman wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Where in the constitution does it say anything about horse drawn carriages?

Hard to believe that you didn't understand that I was using horse drawn carriages as an example, not the constitution.

Your reaction is a good example of your literal mind problem.

BBB
0 Replies