Arthroscopic Surgery: Yea or Nay?

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:25 pm
To make a long story brief, I am now a candidate for arthroscopic surgery of my right knee. I have a cartilage tear which must be repaired. So, I'm not looking for any medical advice here. What I am looking for is any personal experiences people on A2k may have had with this surgery. Your post -- either yea or nay -- about the surgery will be useful to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,436 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:48 pm
This is a tough question William. I've heard good and bad things about knee surgery. I wish I could be some more help to you, but I wish you the very best.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:43 am
wh,

Recently an exhaustive study conculded that this type of surgery was just a placebo.

In the study one group had the surgeries while the others were just kocked out and the surgery was faked.

Both groups responded saying that the surgery helped.

Just my 2 cents.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:54 am
Yikes!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:58 am
hmmmm.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:16 am
My husband had arthroscopic surgery some years ago. The doctor told him that he would be running around in a couple of weeks. It took about a year, and the knee has never been "right".

If I were you, I would go to another orthopedist, and get a second opinion. Don't mention that the first doctor mentioned arthroscopic surgery, and see what the second one comes up with!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:25 am
Margo had arthroscopy recently - her knee has gone "bung' again, I know - I imagine she will have something to say.

She works in the medical industry - so I imagine she would be well up in the research on the topic. She will be back before too long.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:27 am
Craven - do you have a cite for that research? It sounds highly unethical - given the risks of a general - and SOMETHING must have been done that was invasive - since there is a wound after arthroscopy, albeit a small one.

Very interesting, though - arthroscopy is almost an industry here- Australian rules football being so hard on the knees, as is netball, our most commonly competed in sport.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:30 am
dlowan- Here it is:

http://www.newswise.com/articles/2002/7/KNEE.VAR.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:47 am
Thanks Phoenix.

It is an interesting study indeed. The subjects were very kind, especially as one assumes they were elderly, and even a weeny general is risky - and golden staph all too common in dangerous places like hospitals, even in little nicks.

It is funny that people had to sign a paper saying they understood that the placebo would be of no benefit to their knee, (although I understand, of course, the legal and consent issues), given the general effectiveness of placeboes - especially ones surrounded with some drama, and especially ones which cause some discomfort.

I do not have the cite, but a psychologist friend of mine who was researching placeboes said that they work better if they are associated with some discomfort - a little nausea will do, for instance - and that different coloured placeboes work better for different conditions.

Hurrah for placeboes, say I!

I, for instance, respond very well to acupuncture. Black magic, say some. So be it - there is very little pain, and if a few fine needles assist me with all manner of little things - and some big ones - simply by getting me to utilise my mental powers, well, that has to be better than expensive drugs! It may be worth noting, Williamhenry, in case you are well disposed to trying a little needling, that particular black magic i soften quite effective with chronic pain.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 07:00 am
Now that I think of it, I can't recall ever hearing anything positive about knee surgery. I hate to say this, but everone that I know that has had knee surgery said it became worse :-(

What dlowan says about acupuncture may sound unreal, but I know many people who have had it and they have nothing but wonderful things to say about it.

I wish you the very best.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 11:49 pm
Thanks to all those who have replied to this thread . . . your answers have certainly given me food for thought.

I would have thanked you sooner, but I have had an A2k absence for about two days. No updates . . . :wink:
0 Replies