First global analysis of sexual behaviour

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 09:49 am
A groundbreaking study, which provides the first ever comprehensive analysis of sexual behaviour around the world, was published today in the Lancet, as part of a major series on sexual and reproductive health.

The Chicago Tribune reports:

Quote:
Global study dispels sexual behavior myths

By Maria Cheng
Associated Press

November 1, 2006

LONDON -- In the first comprehensive global study of sexual behavior, researchers found that people aren't losing their virginity at ever-younger ages, married people have the most sex and there is no firm link between promiscuity and sexually transmitted diseases.

The study was published Wednesday by the British medical journal The Lancet. Professor Kaye Wellings of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicines and her colleagues analyzed data from 59 nations.

Researchers looked at published studies on sexual behavior in the last decade. They also used data from national governments worldwide. Because survey results were based on self-reporting, Wellings noted, they could be susceptible to error.

Wellings said she was surprised by some of the results.

The researchers had expected to find the most promiscuous behavior in regions such as Africa with the highest rates of sexually transmitted diseases. But multiple partners were more commonly reported in industrialized countries where the incidence of such diseases was relatively low.

Wellings says that implies promiscuity may be less important than factors such as poverty and education--especially in the encouragement of condom use--in the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.

The survey found that single men and women in Africa were fairly sexually inactive: only two-thirds of them reported recent sexual activity, compared with three-quarters in developed countries.

The study also found that contrary to popular belief, sexual activity is not starting earlier. Nearly everywhere, men and women have their first sexual experiences at ages 15 to 19, with generally younger ages for women than for men. That is no younger than 10 years ago.

Researchers also found that married people have the most sex, reporting engaging in sexual activity in the previous four weeks more frequently than single people. There also has been a gradual shift to delay marriage, even in developing countries.

While that has meant a predictable rise in the rates of premarital sex, experts say that doesn't necessarily translate into more dangerous behavior.

"A single woman is more able to negotiate safe sex in certain circumstances than a married woman," says Dr. Paul van Look, director of the Department of Reproductive Health and Research at the World Health Organization, who was not connected to the study.

The Lancet: Sexual behaviour in context: a global perspective (You have to register!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 931 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:06 am
I'm starting to worry about you, Walter. First a thread on a 2,000 year old whorehouse in Pompeii. Now this sexually oriented post. Have you got something on your mind? Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:18 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'm starting to worry about you, Walter. First a thread on a 2,000 year old whorehouse in Pompeii. Now this sexually oriented post. Have you got something on your mind? Smile Smile Smile

I'm worried about you, MA. Don't you ever think about sex? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:21 am
Francis wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

I try to but its so vague.Sadly this thread didnt jog any memeories.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:25 am
material girl wrote:

Don't worry, MG, some day your prince will come (no pun intended).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:25 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'm starting to worry about you, Walter. First a thread on a 2,000 year old whorehouse in Pompeii. Now this sexually oriented post. Have you got something on your mind?

More than ten years of work in that field of social work left their marks ... if only by newsletters and subscriptions Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 10:57 am
Francis wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Well, yes, I think about it quite a bit. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 11:11 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Well, yes, I think about it quite a bit. Embarrassed

Good for a begining, MA. Now, try the next step. Travel outside the US....
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:21 am
Re: First global analysis of sexual behaviour
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A groundbreaking study, which provides the first ever comprehensive analysis of sexual behaviour around the world, was published today in the Lancet, as part of a major series on sexual and reproductive health.

The Chicago Tribune reports:

Quote:
Global study dispels sexual behavior myths

By Maria Cheng
Associated Press

November 1, 2006

LONDON -- In the first comprehensive global study of sexual behavior, researchers found that people aren't losing their virginity at ever-younger ages, married people have the most sex and there is no firm link between promiscuity and sexually transmitted diseases.

The study was published Wednesday by the British medical journal The Lancet. Professor Kaye Wellings of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicines and her colleagues analyzed data from 59 nations.

Researchers looked at published studies on sexual behavior in the last decade. They also used data from national governments worldwide. Because survey results were based on self-reporting, Wellings noted, they could be susceptible to error.

Wellings said she was surprised by some of the results.

The researchers had expected to find the most promiscuous behavior in regions such as Africa with the highest rates of sexually transmitted diseases. But multiple partners were more commonly reported in industrialized countries where the incidence of such diseases was relatively low.

Wellings says that implies promiscuity may be less important than factors such as poverty and education--especially in the encouragement of condom use--in the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.

The survey found that single men and women in Africa were fairly sexually inactive: only two-thirds of them reported recent sexual activity, compared with three-quarters in developed countries.

The study also found that contrary to popular belief, sexual activity is not starting earlier. Nearly everywhere, men and women have their first sexual experiences at ages 15 to 19, with generally younger ages for women than for men. That is no younger than 10 years ago.

Researchers also found that married people have the most sex, reporting engaging in sexual activity in the previous four weeks more frequently than single people. There also has been a gradual shift to delay marriage, even in developing countries.

While that has meant a predictable rise in the rates of premarital sex, experts say that doesn't necessarily translate into more dangerous behavior.

"A single woman is more able to negotiate safe sex in certain circumstances than a married woman," says Dr. Paul van Look, director of the Department of Reproductive Health and Research at the World Health Organization, who was not connected to the study.

The Lancet: Sexual behaviour in context: a global perspective (You have to register!)

http://www.irish.examiner.com/a-401860~Reports_of_teen_sex_parties_draw_outrage.html

Well, in Carroll County MD things are different. This is all over the local news this week - kids as young as middle schoolers having sex parties.
I'm no prude, by a long shot, but I feel it all stems from today's movies, tv and music.
Back in my day (ughhh!) the saying was "love the one you're with"....not
"screw ALL those you are with." Sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:16 am
Quoting from the Irish Examiner:

Quote:
"In middle school, I was definitely thinking more about sports than my sexual activities. I don't think anyone should be having sex, let alone sex parties, at that age."

Exactly! ........ that was what I/we always told my/our parents when I was in grammar school (at about that age), more than 40 years ago. (But middle school pupils were worse, we usually added :wink: )
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:36 am
The article fails to make any mention of what KIND of sex people in those countries like. How many are into fishnet stockings? Leather? S & M? Benwa balls? Vibrators? We need to know these figures to draw accurate results!

And when I was in high school I was having sex AND playing sports. It's hard not to think about sex at that age when you have an erection every 20 minutes.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:07 pm
Ah Nicki - I just saw this thread and why am I not surprised at a) your being in here and b) your post? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:34 am
bm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:37 am
bm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:42 am
bm
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:08 am
Deb, I know you find this subject very interesting, but you don't have to show the world, by bookmarking it THREE times.

Be a bit more subtle, woman.

Bloomin' Aussies.......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:44 am
Francis wrote:
material girl wrote:

Don't worry, MG, some day your prince will come (no pun intended).

That pun was UTTERLY intended.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:45 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Deb, I know you find this subject very interesting, but you don't have to show the world, by bookmarking it THREE times.

Be a bit more subtle, woman.

Bloomin' Aussies.......

You know PERFECTLY well that the site is responsible for that!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:24 am
That's what they say, always the others ...
0 Replies